PDA

View Full Version : [5E] Custom Critical Damage

meverz
October 28th, 2016, 01:26
I am a bit underwhelmed with crits in 5th edition. Last night our Dwarven Fighter crit with his Battleaxe, and then roll snake eyes, for a grand total of 5 damage. Not at all wqhat yo uexpect on a crit.

I would like to change the crit rules to the same as 4th edition, where the extra critical dice are maximised. So the same dwarf, instead of doing 2d8+3 on a crit, would do 1d8 + 11 (1d8 + 8 + 3).

Is there any easy way to do this automatically in Fantasy Grounds? I have been looking around, but I can't seem to find anything that would help? Or will I need to write myself an extension?

Moon Wizard
October 28th, 2016, 01:41
There's no way to do this automatically in Fantasy Grounds, since it's a custom house rule. It would require an extension.

Regards,
JPG

Trenloe
October 28th, 2016, 01:46
It would require an extension.
A bit like this one? https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34431-New-Extension-TheoGeek-s-Improved-Critical

meverz
October 29th, 2016, 00:51
A bit like this one? https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34431-New-Extension-TheoGeek-s-Improved-Critical

Yes! Looks exactly like what I was after. I thought I looked everywhere to try to find it, not sure how I missed it. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, looking forward to adding it for our next session.

TheoGeek
October 29th, 2016, 03:10
Yes! Looks exactly like what I was after. I thought I looked everywhere to try to find it, not sure how I missed it. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, looking forward to adding it for our next session.

Let me know how it goes and if you had any issues with it. Or any suggestions. I like it, but then again, I wrote it so... ;)

meverz
October 30th, 2016, 03:59
Let me know how it goes and if you had any issues with it. Or any suggestions. I like it, but then again, I wrote it so... ;)Thanks mate,
I had a quick play around with it, and it looks like (nearly) exactly what I was after.

How easy (or difficult) would it be to have the houserule only apply to weapon damage, so when spells crit, they would still do damage the "old" (ie normal) way?

Zacchaeus
October 30th, 2016, 10:11
Thanks mate,
I had a quick play around with it, and it looks like (nearly) exactly what I was after.

How easy (or difficult) would it be to have the houserule only apply to weapon damage, so when spells crit, they would still do damage the "old" (ie normal) way?

Why should the poor spellcasters suffer? :)

If the fighters can get extra super damage for critting surely the spellcasters can too?