PDA

View Full Version : Keeping in-game diary and other ways outside of sessions

Magnimost
October 27th, 2016, 22:42
My group has always had the habit of writing a diary from the point of view of the characters. It's really fun to read old diaries from years ago, and players who can't make it to a session read them to get updated. I know some of our friends who don't even game anymore read the diaries for entertainment.

As a GM, I've thought of starting my own writing, stepping outside of the sessions. I don't want to write an entire long-form diary as I have my hands full with session prep, so short form would work. As we currently play Achtung! Cthulhu, telegrams would be a natural choice. I could have three levels of "security" clearance to them, public (i.e. historical known facts), classified (known to intelligence circles at the time, but not publicly), and top secret (stuff that happens during game sessions, interpreted by intelligence services of the time).

I'm considering twitter, but many of my friends don't have it. We maintain a DokuWiki of our game sessions, which would be another good place for them.

Any other ways other GMs or groups write journals or diaries?

darrenan
October 27th, 2016, 22:47
ObsidianPortal, EpicWords, a simple document shared on DropBox/OneDrive/Google,...

LordEntrails
October 27th, 2016, 22:55
I've never used any of the campaign managers (like Obsidian Portal) but there is also RealmWorks and probably others. Sorry can't recommend one for you.

damned
October 27th, 2016, 23:27
I have to say - whilst overall nowhere nears as powerful as the sites above - using the in-game calendar has a lot of advantages.
The downsides are only the GM can put the content in there and its only available when connected to the game...

The plus sides are - have the players do the recording (you transfer it in post game) so it captures what THEY remember (very good for investigative games) and it keeps the timeline of events etc. The players will get better at recording the session events and at going back and looking them up to refresh/review/piece-together clues etc.

Andraax
October 28th, 2016, 00:42
I've always thought that was the main reason for the "Notes" section...

damned
October 28th, 2016, 09:15
I've always thought that was the main reason for the "Notes" section...

The advantage with the Calendar is... the timeline.
But Notes are fine too.

Honken
October 28th, 2016, 10:15
You could also just make a gaming blog and write it at any of the available blog sites.

/H

Andraax
October 28th, 2016, 13:10
The advantage with the Calendar is... the timeline.
But Notes are fine too.

Yeah, but players can't update the calendar. They can use notes.

Magnimost
October 31st, 2016, 00:14
You could also just make a gaming blog and write it at any of the available blog sites.

/H

We already have a DokuWiki site for that. I think I'll add a section there for my own use.