PDA

View Full Version : Character not appearing in client cache

deadlye
October 26th, 2016, 03:33
Hello all, Recently I've been playing with a new DM and I have been unable to retrieve my character from my client cache. This is only happening with this particular DM. I do see the cache folder with the campaign.dat file in my cache from that session though. I have worked around it by using the FGPEM Utility and was successful in extracting my character that way. However; I have been unable to find any information as to what might be the actual cause to begin with. It's possible that this is an issue on the hosts end but even then any info that may lead to a solution for either of us would be appreciated. The DM recently informed me that he is now also experiencing the same issue on another DM's session. Please let me know if more information is needed. Thank you in advance.

Ernesto

Trenloe
October 26th, 2016, 04:06
If you can get the info out of the cache with the FGPEM tool then the data should be there.

Do you see the specific campaign in the list in the bottom half of the "Manage Characters" screen? If not, what is the <DMs campaign name> of the <FG app data>\cache\<DMs campaign name> directory you are trying to access? Does it have any strange characters?

If you do see the campaign in the list in the bottom half of the "Manage Characters" screen what happens when you select it and press start? Does it load up? Are there any characters at all available when you click the characters button?

deadlye
October 26th, 2016, 04:15
Thank tou for the quick reply Trenloe.
Yes it does contain non alphanumeric characters in the cache folder name.
It does appear in the manage characters screen. When I click it FG starts up but no characters appear in the PC tab.

Trenloe
October 26th, 2016, 04:30
Yes it does contain non alphanumeric characters in the cache folder name.
What is the directory name?

What version of Fantasy Grounds are you using? v3.1.7 (live) or v.3.2.0 (test)?

Can you remember if you were definitely controlling your character when you exited the DMs game? If you're not controlling your character when you exit then you won't see it in manage characters.

How big is the campaign.dat file in the cache directory?

deadlye
October 26th, 2016, 05:36
What is the directory name? SunadayHoard%2FRise

What version of Fantasy Grounds are you using? v3.1.7 (live) ultimate

Can you remember if you were definitely controlling your character when you exited the DMs game? Yes I was.

How big is the campaign.dat file in the cache directory? 284KB

Trenloe
October 26th, 2016, 07:10
What is the directory name? SunadayHoard%2FRise
Try renaming the directory to something without the % sign. %2F is ascii for / which could well be causing an issue.

deadlye
October 26th, 2016, 07:15
Try renaming the directory to something without the % sign. %2F is ascii for / which could well be causing an issue.

^^That was it! I renamed the folder and the character appeared as "Server Character" like it should. Thanks Trenloe I will pass this along. Good day/night!