PDA

View Full Version : [LFP] Storm King's Thunder Using PATHFINDER!!! Saturdays 6-10 EST...

paladinpariah
October 26th, 2016, 02:06
FG License: I currently have a full license but am planning on upgrading to ultimate.
Game System: The game system will be Pathfinder though we will be running Storm King’s Thunder from 5e. I anticipate a minimal amount of converting but will also be learning as I go. It will make for a fascinating comparison between what advancement is “supposed” to look like in 5e compared to Pathfinder.

Time Zone: EST
Day of week and time: Saturdays 6pm-10pm
If new game, planned start date: Would like to start November 5th or 12th
Planned Frequency: Weekly. Hoping for as weekly as possible though there will possibly need to be weeks off for holidays and the such. I won’t have a problem with players missing a session here and there. Frequent absences will be problematic.
Term: At the bare minimum would like to finish the Storm King’s Thunder campaign which is supposed to end at 10th level for 5e. Not sure where it will end us in Pathfinder and would like to continue from there if possible with my own campaign material.

Text or Voice: I think voice would be best but will accept text only players. Would rather not use web cams.
Voice software used: I think Google Hangouts will probably be the easiest to use.

Roleplay & Combat mix: I’m thinking it will end up being 50/50 but the campaign does this in bursts of both as opposed to evenly layering them throughout. There will be some very combat heavy sessions and some very RP heavy sessions.
Number of Players in game & needed: I have zero players and would like to run the game with 4-6 optimally.
Character starting level & equipment: Characters will start at level one with normal starting gear.
Character restrictions: I would like to try and keep it as contained to the core book as possible given all the converting that will have to happen between 5e and Pathfinder. As the campaign progresses and I get more used to FG and GMing again in general, I will probably slowly introduce more of the wonky stuff from other Pathfinder books. Anything directly related to Pathfinder’s campaign world (like the names of gods and the such) will have to be given different fluff.

Details of your scenario:
  I have never used FG before and am still learning it. I will need players who will be patient with me as well as willing to teach me if they are more knowledgeable. That being said, I have been roleplaying for over 35 years and have run multiple long term campaigns in 3.0 and other systems. I feel my experience will allow me to quickly make up for my lack of specific knowledge of Pathfinder and FG.
  This campaign is dramatic and action filled and it’s the style of game I like. Rules take a back seat to story, character development, and action. Mechanics certainly have their place, however, and I am using Pathfinder for its technical precision over 5e’s touchy feeliness for this very reason. I have no problem with people being super knowledgeable of the rules and reminding me during play. Makes less work for me. I find that if I flub one situation, I can always make up for it during a later one.
  Players who stick to their characters’ personalities and are self motivated to drive the story along are well rewarded in my games. Telling me what you want your character to go and do is far better than me telling you what happens to them. Being along for the ride is great too but don’t expect the spotlight, the glory, and everything that comes with them very often.
  I would like to take the game in a direction where players end up controlling towns/cities/castles/kingdoms after the pre-written part of the campaign ends and will try and weave some of this into Storm King’s Thunder as it unfolds.
  Optionally, elements of romance and scheming can be included if that’s what players want. Storm King’s Thunder already has some of those elements and they always make a campaign more human.
  Lastly, this campaign will be decidedly PG-13 rated and is optimally aimed at mature adults. I would appreciate foul language and extreme content be kept to a minimum. I understand that gamers tend to more R rated fare, but I find the story can be more nuanced without resorting to cruder tropes. That’s not to say I’m a prudish nut or anything. I just find working to keep things “cleaner” makes them more interesting. I’m also trying to practice being a dad now that I have two small children.

Here’s a taste of some of the artwork I will be producing myself as the campaign progresses. This giant model will hopefully be fully painted by the time the party
   has to cross swords with it. Notice the conversion I did with the sword compared to the store bought model. I also hope to make custom 2D art for everyone’s character and tokens unless someone in the group is more artistic than I am and up to the challenge.

Link to Gamecalendar page: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=2236

https://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z353/GenericsPics/20161025_195738_HDR_zpsm9dnqckh.jpg (https://s1185.photobucket.com/user/GenericsPics/media/20161025_195738_HDR_zpsm9dnqckh.jpg.html)

Vhok
October 26th, 2016, 06:38
why does everyone play Saturdays QQ

paladinpariah
October 26th, 2016, 09:46
Being married with kids it's one of my few free slots during the week. Wish I could play at a better time...

Vhok
October 26th, 2016, 10:58
It's a good time I just have a game that time and day a lot of people do best of luck!

paladinpariah
October 26th, 2016, 13:47
Good to know that Saturdays aren't a bad time. Hope your game goes well.

inexorable
October 26th, 2016, 16:58
I'd be interested in playing in your game. 35 years experience... wow, I think that is more than myself and I have about 30 or so give or take. Starting with the Basic red box back in the day.

Having a small child myself, your time frame works. I'm usually inclined to join games that are every other week but if we keep to the timeframe I don't think it'll be an issue.

paladinpariah
October 26th, 2016, 19:28
Sent you a PM. Yeah I've been playing since 81 also with the red box.

MikeParham
October 27th, 2016, 04:34
Hello,

I am also interested in participating in your game. I started playing in 1983, continuing with D&D through 4th edition. I an both a DM and player, currently playing with a group that has been together over 20 years (including a good number of years using FG), and am one of the team that is finishing up the soon to be published 13th AGE rule set.

Seeking the opportunity to meet new role players and enjoy a new adventure. My kids are all grown (enjoying playing with grandkids now), but one of my adult sons plays with our current gaming group. Saturdays after I finish up my weekend cores works very well for me.

paladinpariah
October 27th, 2016, 09:49
PM sent. So far everyone has 30+ years of RPing experience. This is going to be an interesting group.

paladinpariah
October 27th, 2016, 12:06
Question for anyone interested in this campaign:

What is your level of knowledge of Forgotten Realms and how much do you enjoy playing campaigns in it?

I'm trying to decide if we keep the setting Forgotten Realms or switch it up some...

Thanks.

BrokenPiece
October 27th, 2016, 16:12
Hello! I would LOVE to join you, but I do wanna warn you that I am quite new to this. I DID however play a BIT on FG on the campaign called "Lost Mines of Phendelver". And I enjoyed every second of it. Sadly school had me hooked up but now I am finally done and ready to give this a shot!
I send you a request on the game's calander!
:)

inexorable
October 27th, 2016, 16:33
Question for anyone interested in this campaign:

What is your level of knowledge of Forgotten Realms and how much do you enjoy playing campaigns in it?

I'm trying to decide if we keep the setting Forgotten Realms or switch it up some...

Thanks.

Pretty extensive pre 4th edition. Lost interest with just about all of D&D with 4th edition. I do enjoy the Forgotten Realms but if you want to switch it to a different setting I'm fine with it.

A character I used to play a ways back was a narcissistic cleric of Cyric that I had a lot of fun with in 3.5. I actually like Cyric and found him pretty interesting. A rarity among those that are familiar with the deities of Faerun.

What setting are you planning on switching it to?

paladinpariah
October 27th, 2016, 16:46
Was thinking about resurrecting a home brew campaign I used about 15 years ago in 3.0. It's a lot more down to Earth than Forgotten Realms where there aren't teleportation circles and dragons in everyone's back yard. I don't have anything against FR and appreciate how flavorful it is. It's a little too over the top for me, though and my familiarity with it is only cursory.

That being said, I'll gladly adopt it if that's what people want to do. I can easily adapt it to what I want to do. It would also be less work for me because the campaign itself is already set there.

Brokenpiece, sending you a PM. Thanks for being interested in the campaign.

inexorable
October 27th, 2016, 16:53
Well the thing about Forgotten Realms is you don't have to make it so fantastical. I'm in a game now that the DM does exactly that with Faerun. A +1 sword is a big deal and considered a family heirloom that has been passed down from generation to generation.

Considering you're converting the whole thing to Pathfinder, you may want to keep it in Forgotten Realms just severely limit the prevalence of magic and fantastical creatures.

Honestly, I never cared for Elminster and the seven sisters or whatever they were called... The spellfire wielding Gary/Mary Sues. Why bother having adventurers when you have these epic level, favored of the goddess of magic clowns running around doing everything and righting every wrong?

paladinpariah
October 28th, 2016, 00:45
There are some wonky story things going on in FR, that's for sure.

Maybe keeping it in FR would be the best idea unless people strongly object...

paladinpariah
October 29th, 2016, 14:52
I have forum access back! Thanks to the mods for that!

For some reason I can no longer post to the forum or reply to threads.

Below are the character creation guidelines. We also need to determine our start date. We could possibly start next Saturday, the 5th as I have a fourth person who might be able to join us. We might get a few more players between now and then. We could also wait for the 12th and give time to get more players. I can be ready for either date as the first few encounters are already planned and ready to go.

Epic level point buy (25 points)
Two traits
I would rather not allow racial variants and non-standard races unless someone has a really interesting proposal that will add a lot of color to the campaign.
I'm a little new to Pathfinder, so let me know if there are any other variables that need to be taken into consideration for character building.

paladinpariah
October 31st, 2016, 02:10
One slight change. We will be using Teamspeak instead of Hangouts for voice communication. One of the players has graciously offered up their private server.

Validname
October 31st, 2016, 15:05
I'm interested in joining, but is a lot of RPing experience required. I have been playing 5e for about a year and a half and pathfinder for about a month.

paladinpariah
November 1st, 2016, 00:54
PM Sent...

paladinpariah
November 1st, 2016, 00:59
We're filling up pretty fast, but we're still accepting players. People might end up being alternates at this point, however.

lindamus
November 1st, 2016, 09:59
I am keen to play...

my LFG post is here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34697-New-Player-LFG-8-to-10-GMT-Saturday-nights

I hope to hear from you.

thanks.