PDA

View Full Version : Adventurer's Backpack Kickstarter

NotRussellCrowe
October 25th, 2016, 17:14
Not much of a C&C player myself but stumbled upon this in my travels of the internet this morning and thought some of you might be interested. At the time of this posting it's $400 away from being backed and it only just launched today.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/676918054/castles-and-crusades-adventurers-backpack/updates

Happy gaming!

JohnD
October 25th, 2016, 22:05
Here's hoping a FG version is released.

I'll back this, but just at the PDF level.

damned
October 25th, 2016, 22:30
2 says ago 7inches of C&C kickstarter goodies arrived at my door.
I will only buy digital too I think.

NotRussellCrowe
October 25th, 2016, 22:32
2 says ago 7inches of C&C kickstarter goodies arrived at my door.
I will only buy digital too I think.

I think that deserves a picture of how much C&C that makes!

vodokar
October 25th, 2016, 23:01
Someone on the kickstarter asked Steve if it will be coming to FG. His response was: that will no doubt happen! ~ Steve

damned
October 25th, 2016, 23:13
I think that deserves a picture of how much C&C that makes!

I think I have every edition of the PHB, M&T and CKG except limited edition ones... enough already!

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO5enJknMaa4Pzq8cQSNw61jfwignGd-u7-vljvs0sBc8lsnlFd232NGWodohlymA?key=UzhadXd3X0tWRVZ SZXVrZFIyZUhjb2lWTVlqXzhn

NotRussellCrowe
October 25th, 2016, 23:22
I think I have every edition of the PHB, M&T and CKG except limited edition ones... enough already!

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO5enJknMaa4Pzq8cQSNw61jfwignGd-u7-vljvs0sBc8lsnlFd232NGWodohlymA?key=UzhadXd3X0tWRVZ SZXVrZFIyZUhjb2lWTVlqXzhn

That's one big Keepers guide. Wow. But some hobbies are worth it. Until you have to move. And carry the boxes.

damned
October 25th, 2016, 23:46
I have a floor to ceiling book case full of RPGs. I dont buy many physical ones any more. I actually paid for these 2 or 3 years ago...
This year I have probably only bought Dungeon World, the D&D Dungeon Masters Guide and one more in physical form. Everything else has been digital.

Books are very much a challenge when moving!

Myrdin Potter
October 30th, 2016, 05:22
After moving every two years for a couple of decades including two moves to Asia, I buy a lot in digital form. I still prefer physical books to learn RPG rules though. Recently, I have been replacing my AD&D books that I disposed of many moves ago (they were loved to death).

I did back this Kickstarter in dead tree form. I will eventually order the other books via Amazon.com. The free shipping beats the lower Kickstarter prices.

Trenloe
October 30th, 2016, 18:43
I did back this Kickstarter in dead tree form. I will eventually order the other books via Amazon.com. The free shipping beats the lower Kickstarter prices.
I've backed this Kickstarter but, to be perfrectly honest, I'm struggling to see the value I get for parting with my money now. I've backed at the $40 level to get the print and PDF - plus shipping to be charged via backerkit after. Assuming that a print/PDf bundle will go for something similar to the player's handbook on their store (https://www.trolllord.com/tlgstore/#!/Players-Handbook-6th-Printing-PD/p/45154231) which is $36 (or even if it is a bit more $40-45), and that TLG have their usual semi-regular sales with 25-40% off items in their store. I'm really struggling to see what the advantage is to me backing this Kickstarter - other than getting the book early (and helping to ensure the book is released in the first place), unless there will be some KS exclusive stretch goals opening up that make it worth my while.

I love the TLG stuff and like to support them, but I've been seeing more and more from their recent Kickstarters that they really are becoming just a pre-order mechanism that takes my money now and doesn't give me savings in return and I get the product (usually) many months after I've parted with my money. (This isn't just TLG doing this in Kickstarter now with many established RPG companies doing this for new products, but this is a very specific example.)

damned
October 30th, 2016, 22:41
I too am confused/bemused/other by the Trolls strategy with the sales and their kickstarters....

Talyn
October 30th, 2016, 22:55
I also backed this KS but I was reading this morning how more and more publishers are using Kickstarters as essentially a pre-order, which is directly effecting retailers.

damned
October 30th, 2016, 23:29
Retailers are in a very tough position. They have Amazon on one side and Publishers selling direct on another and digital sales hammering them from another.

hawkwind
October 31st, 2016, 13:55
Someone on the kickstarter asked Steve if it will be coming to FG. His response was: that will no doubt happen! ~ Steve
that would be me :) some more people should make similar comments and they might add it as a stretch goal and pay some one to do the FG module

vodokar
November 8th, 2016, 07:22
As agreements are already in place with TLG, one of our freelance module converters will likely do the work should they feel it is saleable enough to recoup the time they would need to invest. TLG doesn't really have a role in that. It is up to us. If enough people request the conversion, someone will jump on the project. If they don't believe it will sell enough, it won't. So everyone needs to speak up that wants to see this happen.

I would buy it if it available in the store. Who is with me?

Andraax
November 8th, 2016, 14:16
I already have most of the first Adventurer's Backpack built as a module. I could easily add the rest of the stuff from the Kickstarter.

Talyn
November 8th, 2016, 15:37
As agreements are already in place with TLG, one of our freelance module converters will likely do the work should they feel it is saleable enough to recoup the time they would need to invest. TLG doesn't really have a role in that. It is up to us. If enough people request the conversion, someone will jump on the project.

I don't even know if there are any other community devs doing C&C right now other than myself and Mortar? I don't want to commit to converting the Adventurer's Backpack until I actually see what's in it and get an idea of how long it would take.

JohnD
November 8th, 2016, 16:36
I'd buy a FG version.

Myrdin Potter
November 8th, 2016, 18:53
The addition of the flip book to the $59 pledge makes it better.

I already gave my 2 cents in the comments in the Kickstarter - include the PDF with the hardcover. If they want to make buying direct from the Kickstarter better, then the PDF as no additional cost is a good enticement. Otherwise Amazon is usually cheaper at zero shipping or waiting for the big sale discount.

They have been in business for quite a while and produce good quality products, so they have that part of their act together.

Zhern
November 10th, 2016, 03:17
I commented on the Kickstarter too that I would definitely be in for the FG version of the Adventurer's Backpack. Steve has responded to several of the comments positively - I think it is just a matter of having someone do the work.

Myrdin Potter
November 21st, 2016, 06:21
In the last two days of the Kickstarter. Looks good for at least the flipbook goal and the add-on list was significantly expanded including adding PDF.

Mortar
November 21st, 2016, 23:21
I backed at the pdf level, not in a position to pay for the shipping charges.

JohnD
November 22nd, 2016, 01:06
I backed at the pdf level, not in a position to pay for the shipping charges.

Plus based on recent experience, you'd get your book ~ 6 months after everyone else in existence.

Myrdin Potter
November 22nd, 2016, 01:49
Not sure what book came so late, but this is just for the PDF or physical book.

damned
November 22nd, 2016, 03:21
Plus based on recent experience, you'd get your book ~ 6 months after everyone else in existence.

Try two years for my 3 sisters.
I *know* Australia is a long way away...

JohnD
November 22nd, 2016, 03:30
Try two years for my 3 sisters.
I *know* Australia is a long way away...

Holy <Expletive Deleted> that is ridiculous.

Trenloe
November 22nd, 2016, 04:24
"Just" a year behind on the Mythos books.

Thanks for the reminder/awakening - cancelling my pledge for this now. I'll wait for the 40/50% sales a couple of months after release - I'll give TLG my money then, not months before product release...

Myrdin Potter
November 22nd, 2016, 06:26
I am always hesitant to buy back catalog books right near Black Friday.