PDA

View Full Version : Basic AL Questions

Belgaleen
October 24th, 2016, 21:59
Hello,

I'm very new to FG, DND 5e and DDAL. I've had fun at FG Con 9 and it was suggested I look at alonlinetools.net. In another thread it was suggested that I sign up even if it looks full, but I've noticed a couple of other things that I'm not sure I understand and I'm not exactly sure where to go ask the question but since this forum is for DDAL hopefully someone can answer or point me in the right direction:

1-I see a Purple & that says Online LC/RC/Admin and a Red & that says AL Online Team DM. What does that mean?
2-There is a Request Game button. Is that exactly what it says? ie, I can request a game at a specific time as a player? Does a DM just pick it up if they are interested or how does that work? I didn't want to randomly do stuff on that page :).
3-It says Normal Game/Quest of the Week Game/Hardcover - Quest of the Week seems obvious I think, but what is the difference between a Normal Game and Hardcover?
4-What is the expected etiquette on time? For example, if it says 3 hours, I'd like to try to give it a little buffer...how much extra time is expected? 30 mins reasonable or some other value?
5-Where do you report problems with the webpage? One of my registrations shows me in there but doesn't show the signup order and one of the characters isn't reporting the right level.
6-What other games would be good for a newbie since DDAL seems to be regularly full?
7-Any other tips or words of wisdom for a newbie? I'll happily take any advice on any topic, not just FG, DND 5e and DDAL :).

TYVM.

tiawaz
October 26th, 2016, 21:46
1-I see a Purple & that says Online LC/RC/Admin and a Red & that says AL Online Team DM. What does that mean?

Adventurers League is 'organized' play, and these Local Coordinator/Regional Coordinator/Admins are the guys doing the organizing
AFAIK AL Online Team DM's are the guys doing the Quest of the Week Program

3-It says Normal Game/Quest of the Week Game/Hardcover - Quest of the Week seems obvious I think, but what is the difference between a Normal Game and Hardcover?

Normal Games are any of the DDAL Modules a DM wants to run, these are typically 2h or 4h Adventures wich are finished in one sitting.
Hardcover Refers to the 'Season' Hardcovers, and means that someone is running the Whole Lvl 1-10+ Campaign.

6-What other games would be good for a newbie since DDAL seems to be regularly full?

a) dont be deterred by that, it is not uncommon for several people to not show up.
b) try the FG Game Calendar (see menu at the top of this page)

7-Any other tips or words of wisdom for a newbie? I'll happily take any advice on any topic, not just FG, DND 5e and DDAL :).

Watch the Howto videos, they help a lot in making your first experience more fun

Belgaleen
October 26th, 2016, 22:24
Adventurers League is 'organized' play, and these Local Coordinator/Regional Coordinator/Admins are the guys doing the organizing
AFAIK AL Online Team DM's are the guys doing the Quest of the Week Program

Normal Games are any of the DDAL Modules a DM wants to run, these are typically 2h or 4h Adventures wich are finished in one sitting.
Hardcover Refers to the 'Season' Hardcovers, and means that someone is running the Whole Lvl 1-10+ Campaign.

a) dont be deterred by that, it is not uncommon for several people to not show up.
b) try the FG Game Calendar (see menu at the top of this page)

Watch the Howto videos, they help a lot in making your first experience more fun

Thanks! Oh! The guys doing the organizing makes sense now. I was trying to understand what the differences were. TYVM for the explanation of hardcover, etc. It would never have occurred to me that "hardcover" equated to campaign but it makes sense when you explain it.

I watched a few HowTo but I have to say that everyone has been great with their patience and their understanding for DDAL games. I have no experience with the other game systems, but I have high hopes of having fun with other system.

I've read that it isn't uncommon for several people to not show up and that surprised me so I might try being an alternate on some.

Brynnan
October 29th, 2016, 04:15
Tiawaz is correct.

The AL Online Team is a group of DMs that have taken on a commitment to run a specific number of scheduled games, at least two per month from the Quest of the Week series, and have been somewhat vetted. Not that anyone would be specifically denied to join, but you would be kicked if you didn't uphold the commitment and code of ethics. These DMs have the red ampersand. As an LC and a member of the ALOT team, I have a purple ampersand. If just a random person scheduled a game, those are the ones with no ampersand.

There are two types of games, the Hardcover campaigns are almost always listed as a "Continuation" of many sessions. They have a grey background. You may be able to be an alt in one of them if they need additional players or if you can catch one starting at the beginning. Feel free to email the DM and ask. The white backgrounds are the episodes, single adventures that complete in one sitting. Feel free to sign up and show up, and you may play, even if it is highly over-scheduled. Remember, people don't show up, plans change, and if enough show up and there is a willing DM (which is often) the table may split into two tables. I've been in the low 20's to sign up and still played.

The blue backgrounds are special episodes, prioritizing the new releases as they come out that are featured as "Quest of the Week". Anyone can run a QotW game (and there are nice DM Rewards if you do) and you don't have to be a member of the actual AL Online Team (see above regarding committment).

Let me know if you have any other questions. That's what I'm here for.