PDA

View Full Version : Creature Effect

Dragontail
October 24th, 2016, 20:59
The doom bat is not applying shaken to my targets. Any ideas what I did wrong? I have created the shaken effect btw (spelled same) though im unsure how to make it give a -2 to checks (i can do disadvantage but i want a -2). Currently for shaken i have...

shaken; ATK -2

Nickademus
October 24th, 2016, 21:01
You need a colon ( : ) after the 'ATK'

"Shaken; ATK: -2"

Dragontail
October 24th, 2016, 21:09
ok fixed however it is still not applying it from the doom bat.

Zacchaeus
October 24th, 2016, 22:39
Shaken isn't any kind of condition in 5e and so FG doesn't recognise it as anything and therefore won't create an effect. You'll have to do it manually.

Dragontail
October 24th, 2016, 22:40
Ya i saw that Zac, I think I created it (second screen shot under the combat tracker)

Trenloe
October 24th, 2016, 22:52
Shaken isn't a valid condition in 5e and FG won't look through the campaign effects to try to find a custom effect. Also, "magically" in front of a valid condition name can cause issues.

It depends what effect you want to have, perhaps use frightened? e.g. "must succeed on a DC 11 Wisdom saving throw or be frightened for 4 rounds."

Dragontail
October 24th, 2016, 22:56
so it wont ad the effects that I created myself? in this case shaken.

and its still not adding the effect. In the combat tracker i see "terrifying screach [SAVEVS:wisdom 11] and thats it no effect added.
(after i removed the magically as commented above)

Dragontail
October 24th, 2016, 23:02
changed it to frightened (instead of magicaly shaken) and it appears on combat tracker correctly however it doest auto add the effect on a failed save. Is that something I have done wrong or is that normal?

Trenloe
October 24th, 2016, 23:05
so it wont ad the effects that I created myself? in this case shaken.
This is a custom effect, and FG will not look for custom effects when it tries to parse the creature abilities. It will only look for recognized 5e conditions. If you want to use non-standard 5e conditions/effects then you will have to add these to the NPC action after the NPC has been added to the combat tracker.

and its still not adding the effect. In the combat tracker i see "terrifying screach [SAVEVS:wisdom 11] and thats it no effect added.
(after i removed the magically as commented above)
These are only created when the NPC is added to the combat tracker. Editing the NPC statblock after being added to the combat tracker will have no effect. Remove the NPC from the combat tracker, edit the NPC statblock from the campaign data list, and then drag to the combat tracker.

Dragontail
October 24th, 2016, 23:07
Trenloe that has been done. After every edit i remove Doombat from tracker (do mods) then add it back when finished. It still is not applying the in game effect correctly. (without me clicking on the effect manually)

Trenloe
October 24th, 2016, 23:09
...however it doest auto add the effect on a failed save. Is that something I have done wrong or is that normal?
That's normal - Fantasy Grounds actions are always a two-step process: attack then damage, save then effect. Damage is not applied when an attack hits, it has to be rolled; and the results of failed saves aren't automatically applied, they need to be manually applied. This allows for the players and GMs to make a final decision as to whether the effect/condition should be applied. Perhaps they forgot that the roll had advantage, perhaps the PC has an ability that allows a bonus to be added to the roll retrospectively (e.g. Bardic Inspiration) or may re-roll certain results (Halfling luck, for example).

Dragontail
October 24th, 2016, 23:10
ah ok thanks I though it would auto add it. Ok then back to shaken I go :)