PDA

View Full Version : What about PCGen

Graiskye
September 16th, 2005, 04:31
Given the amount of interest in the .xml converter for Etools, I couldnt help but wonder if perhaps anyone has done anything with PCGen ? I use it for OpenRPG, I imagine that if someone from the PCGen community gets into using FantasyGround to play online,soon we will see the same thing. Wish I knew enough myself to attempt a template but alas.So I guess Im putting it out there,is there anyone using PCGen and FG ? Might be a little less thorny issue given the open source nature of PCGen ? Grai

ps EDIT I just want to mention after reading the other thread about Etools, this is purely just a curious question nothing more. I say this because things tend to get taken the wrong way sometimes, this is not the Etools debate part II, please if you dont actually use PCGen, or know something about creating a template for FG, please save it for another thread. Thanks for your consideration. :wink:

Thore_Ironrock
September 16th, 2005, 05:05
Excellent question Graiskye! I'm actually curious myself. Since PCGen is wholly owned by CMP, it is their decision alone. I would say though that you probably cannot build anything that would manipulate their datasets or the data within them in any way, but I'm sure if someone were to work with Rob and CMP this may be possible.

Obviously ... Rob and his partners have the final word. Personally, I like PCGen better anyway. ;)

CMP Mynex
September 16th, 2005, 06:23
To clarify, CMP does NOT own PCGen the program or it's own Open Source OGL data sets.

CMP does data sets for PCGen for several publishers, including of course, WotC.

That said, a converter for PCGen to FG is actually already on our docket (as was one from ET to FG, the PCGen one is just a wee bit easier to accomplish, so it's a bit further along).

The same issues as with ET to FG apply as to PCGen to FG... because it's the content of the data we're talking about here (and have been all along).

Thore_Ironrock
September 16th, 2005, 10:41
Ah ... thanks for the clarification Rob. 8)

Graiskye
September 17th, 2005, 07:44
Well I guess we'll just have to be patient then. Thanks. Cant wait . Grai

Thore_Ironrock
September 17th, 2005, 12:59
One thing I want to say here guys ...

If you have an idea for a program, add-on, or enhancement for FG or something related (like PCGen) ...

If you have good or better programming skills ...

If you want to do content for Fantasy Grounds ...

... contact us. Both Rob and I are always looking for people to forward the FG community. Not everything has to be a "for sale" product or enhancement, it all depends on what it is, what it does, and how it works.

Just something to keep in mind.

Best Regards,

Thore_Ironrock
September 17th, 2005, 13:02
One thing I want to say here guys ...

If you have an idea for a program, add-on, or enhancement for FG or something related (like PCGen) ...

If you have good or better programming skills ...

If you want to do content for Fantasy Grounds ...

... contact us. Both Rob and I are always looking for people to forward the FG community. Not everything has to be a "for sale" product or enhancement, it all depends on what it is, what it does, and how it works.

Just something to keep in mind.

Best Regards,

Ram Tyr
September 17th, 2005, 14:24
For the benefit of anyone that finds this post far off in the future...
maybe in a galaxy far, far away???

Oh, sorry...

I thought given Grai's original post mentions the thread and it contains post that are relevant to Kevin's invitation...check out:
The E-Tools Character XML converter thread (https://forums.fantasygrounds.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1045)

Thanks all.

Ramza