PDA

View Full Version : A funny thing happened to me on the way to the Crusade.

vodokar
October 24th, 2016, 01:27
I've had so many people tell me over the years about how great the C&C ruleset was, but I'll be honest, I just didn't get it. I purchased my copy back in 2010 or thereabouts. I have played with it off and on since then, but I just never saw what all was so great about it, talking about the ruleset, not the game itself.

Today, as a part of my initial steps towards working on my own ruleset, I unzipped the C&C ruleset and moved a renamed copy of it into the FG ruleset directory and fired up a new campaign. It was dramatically different than what I had seen before. Eye opening. Investigation showed that I had an unzipped folder of C&C in my ruleset directory from 2010, so I had missed seeing the last 5 years of development of the ruleset. Everytime I tried to make a campaign, it was pulling from the old install and not the new. Geeze. Didn't know that. I'm going to have to give this thing a second chance.

JohnD
October 25th, 2016, 01:33
Yeah C&C took a big leap forward - it's a solid ruleset equal to anything FG offers except for 5e with all the automation.

damned
October 25th, 2016, 02:37
I've had so many people tell me over the years about how great the C&C ruleset was, but I'll be honest, I just didn't get it. I purchased my copy back in 2010 or thereabouts. I have played with it off and on since then, but I just never saw what all was so great about it, talking about the ruleset, not the game itself.

Today, as a part of my initial steps towards working on my own ruleset, I unzipped the C&C ruleset and moved a renamed copy of it into the FG ruleset directory and fired up a new campaign. It was dramatically different than what I had seen before. Eye opening. Investigation showed that I had an unzipped folder of C&C in my ruleset directory from 2010, so I had missed seeing the last 5 years of development of the ruleset. Everytime I tried to make a campaign, it was pulling from the old install and not the new. Geeze. Didn't know that. I'm going to have to give this thing a second chance.

I cant count how many times i have had an unzipped ruleset or extension or module and been scratching my head about the output... how many times ive pestered my colleagues, how many times ive slapped myself in the forehead...
Such unhappy thoughts....

Actually there was a C&C build on FG 2.8 that had some character automation too - it would auto calc your XP needed for next level and adjust your BtH as you adjusted your level.
Going on to CoreRPG was still a much better long term move!

vodokar
October 25th, 2016, 03:04
Yeah C&C took a big leap forward - it's a solid ruleset equal to anything FG offers except for 5e with all the automation.

I anxiously await finding out. I snagged about 30 print C&C adventure modules during Troll Lord Games' .99 cent print modules 48 hour sale a couple days ago for about $35.

Zhern
October 26th, 2016, 01:52
I anxiously await finding out. I snagged about 30 print C&C adventure modules during Troll Lord Games' .99 cent print modules 48 hour sale a couple days ago for about $35.

Haha, I snagged 20 for $27 after shipping. Heck of a deal. And then they send me a 25% off coupon today because it is going to take them longer to ship than usual? I can't pass that up, right? All of their stuff I have is in digital but I guess it is time to start picking up the physical too. I think I need more bookshelves...and definitely having movers pack and move us if we end up moving again.

damned
October 26th, 2016, 02:24
Haha, I snagged 20 for $27 after shipping. Heck of a deal. And then they send me a 25% off coupon today because it is going to take them longer to ship than usual? I can't pass that up, right? All of their stuff I have is in digital but I guess it is time to start picking up the physical too. I think I need more bookshelves...and definitely having movers pack and move us if we end up moving again.

I put 5 adventures in an order - $50 to ship to AUS. Im sticking with digital!

Zhern
October 26th, 2016, 02:38

Yeah, Australians and Europeans get screwed on shipping from the U.S. It is ridiculous and really does force one to go solely digital except for specialty items.

Hawker73
October 29th, 2016, 01:22
Yeah, Australians and Europeans get screwed on shipping from the U.S. It is ridiculous and really does force one to go solely digital except for specialty items.

It should be pointed out that the screw happens from their,postal services and government taxes. For instance I have ordered a leather wallet from Aus for very little shipping. Merely sending a book to my friend in England though means a BRUTAL price. They know if their people could shop US Amazon..they would. Take anyone from those places to say a Costco, or for that matter a liquor store, and watch the freak out.
They would...:P

Hawker73
October 29th, 2016, 01:24

I have a friend who travels between AUS and US every couple of years, next time he is making a trip let me find out what you want...:D