PDA

View Full Version : How to share something from module as player

Svandal
October 23rd, 2016, 20:27
Hi
When I am a GM I can drag something from a module out in the chat, and that something will be shared as a link that people can see.

But when I try to do this as a player I get the error: only record which you own can be shared

Does anybody know how to do this? Is it possible?

It is really helpful to the GM when somebody wants to summon a monster to just share it in the chat, then the GM can drag and drop it into the combat tracker, and you are done.

damned
October 23rd, 2016, 21:34
Players can only share NOTES and can only share them to Public or not at all.

Blahness98
October 23rd, 2016, 22:57
Depends on what you are sharing. I know in the Pathfinder rule set, you can move an item to the party sheet then link it and it will open for everyone. Anything else, has to go in notes like damned said.

Svandal
October 23rd, 2016, 23:18
Ok, thank you.

I am guessing this has something to do with copyrights?
If not why is it like this? Like I said it would be really nice to have when somebody summons a monster, they can link the monster in the chat and GM can drag it into the combat tracker, also nice if you want to discuss something.

I would appreciate if somebody explained this to me, I can then request this in the wish list :)

Zacchaeus
October 23rd, 2016, 23:21
Well, apart from any technical considerations the players don't have access to the Monster Manual so would be unable to link anything anyway.

damned
October 24th, 2016, 00:04
The technical aspect is to do with ownership of database nodes - players really can only own their characters and notes.
Additionally in your case - summoning a monster does not give you (or your companions) full knowledge of its abilities and capabilities.

Svandal
October 24th, 2016, 11:27
Well, apart from any technical considerations the players don't have access to the Monster Manual so would be unable to link anything anyway.

That is up to the DM, just like any other book the DM can choose to share the monsters manual (or in the case of pathfinder which we play can choose to share the summon monster / summon natures ally module which gives a list of all the monsters avalible to them and their stats) So as a player you can open the book the GM has shared, you can read everything in this book, but you can not share this in the chat. The GM can also open the book and read the same things as the players, but he can share in the chat.

The technical aspect is to do with ownership of database nodes - players really can only own their characters and notes.
Additionally in your case - summoning a monster does not give you (or your companions) full knowledge of its abilities and capabilities.

This is just not true. Just like the players knows that when he casts a fireball in pathfinder it is a 20 foot radius blast that requires a reflex save for half damage and does xd6 fire damage to the targets the players knows what abilites a monster he summons has. You can of course play a game where the players does not know anything about anything if you prefer that, but if we put aside a certain way to role play a game the players knows everything they themselves do. If my players dont know the grapple rules they are not allowed to make a charater that grapples people all the time. If they want to cast a spell they should know how it works, if they want to shoot with a bow, they should know what dices to throw, and what modifiers apply at all time. If they dont know this the game speeds crawls to a standstill.

damned
October 24th, 2016, 12:04
That is up to the DM, just like any other book the DM can choose to share the monsters manual (or in the case of pathfinder which we play can choose to share the summon monster / summon natures ally module which gives a list of all the monsters avalible to them and their stats) So as a player you can open the book the GM has shared, you can read everything in this book, but you can not share this in the chat. The GM can also open the book and read the same things as the players, but he can share in the chat.

This is just not true. Just like the players knows that when he casts a fireball in pathfinder it is a 20 foot radius blast that requires a reflex save for half damage and does xd6 fire damage to the targets the players knows what abilites a monster he summons has. You can of course play a game where the players does not know anything about anything if you prefer that, but if we put aside a certain way to role play a game the players knows everything they themselves do. If my players dont know the grapple rules they are not allowed to make a charater that grapples people all the time. If they want to cast a spell they should know how it works, if they want to shoot with a bow, they should know what dices to throw, and what modifiers apply at all time. If they dont know this the game speeds crawls to a standstill.

Im not here to tell you how to play or whether you are right or wrong. You can play the game any way you like. I definitely run the game the way I want to run the game - I think we all do one way or another.
Spells and Equipment are listed in the Players Handbook - a book designed for players.
The Monster Manual on the other hand says "The Monster Manual, like the Dungeon Masters Guide, is a book for GMs."
Either way Fantasy Grounds doesnt let players share items - only the GM can share them. If the GM shares something with you that you want to share with the others you will need to ask the GM to do that for you.

Trenloe
October 24th, 2016, 18:18
As mentioned players can only share records that they own. FG will mention this in the chat window if you try to drag/drop links from records you don't own. There are technical reasons for this based around database record ownership and the FG data architecture.

I can then request this in the wish list :)
Add it to the wishlist. The devs can determine if changing this is technically feasible and if they want to implement.