PDA

View Full Version : Extension to block CT from closing

Dr0W
October 23rd, 2016, 04:33
I love playing SW on FG and I love using and abusing the Effects on the Combat Tracker. However, on the SW Ruleset the Effects only works if the CT is open and that's also true for players, they also need to have their CT open or at least minimized for all the effects to work perfectly.

But I have a problem: I keep closing the CT. And every time I close it, my players have it closed too. I know I can let them handle their own CT but as an experienced DM I know they will forget to turn it on, they will also close it and ruin my dream of an semi-automatized game. I don't know, that big pretty button is so clickable and calls to me! Sometimes I don't even notice I've closed the CT and opened it again, it just comes naturally, and then people roll dice and stuff won't work, some of them minimize their CT and don't even notice when I close it but it's always the same "Hey man, you closed our CT... Again." I've tried yoga, meditation, acupuncture but I just can't stop closing the CT by accident.

So I decided to put and end on this and tailored an extension for my own use, and maybe if some other DM also suffers from evil urges to close the CT for everyone this might come handy.

What the extension does:
- Removes the big pretty close button from the CT Window.
- Adds another layer of security when you try to close the CT using right click, it asks "ARE YOU SURE?" exactly like the 'Clear Entire Tracker' option, just to make sure you don't close it by right-click, up and click too.

Any advice on how I put the extension together is very welcome, it just doesn't feel right the way I've done it.
Only tested on 3.2.0 Test version, will have it tested on 3.1.7 soon.

Skellan
October 23rd, 2016, 10:22
I used to do this all the time. I usually change the setting in options 'Minitrackers: host controls' to off. This give the players an Init button so they can open the tracker themselves.
You extension is really cool if you want to keep control of the tracker though.

Dr0W
October 23rd, 2016, 13:04
Yeah, I know. But I hate to close the CT as much as I hate when a player forgets theirs. With many players, and I often dm for people new to both SW and FG this usually becomes troublesome.