PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a D&D AL game (online)

Recliff
October 23rd, 2016, 03:45
Hello everyone! I was looking to join an AL game, I'm aware one can look for such games at alonlinetools but apparently every single game is overstacked with players; so I was checking if I could be updated whenever a new spot opens up in an upcoming game or if someone plans to make a new game anytime soon so I could join as soon as possible. Thank you in advance :)

OldJarhead
October 23rd, 2016, 04:04
Yeah, it almost seems like ya gotta know someone to get in one. I finally got into one for today and it got cancelled.

damned
October 23rd, 2016, 04:41
Hello everyone! I was looking to join an AL game, I'm aware one can look for such games at alonlinetools but apparently every single game is overstacked with players; so I was checking if I could be updated whenever a new spot opens up in an upcoming game or if someone plans to make a new game anytime soon so I could join as soon as possible. Thank you in advance :)

Yeah, it almost seems like ya gotta know someone to get in one. I finally got into one for today and it got cancelled.

OldJarhead you aint having much fun yet are you!
Did you jump in any games at FG Con 9? As you say - once you know a few people it is much easier finding games and getting invited back to games.
Sometimes you have to play something different to start making those connections - never played Savage Worlds? Dont know what it is? It doesnt matter. Lots of GMs run multiple systems. Lots of players are also GMs.
And sometimes the best way to get started when its just not happening is to run a one shot yourself.
If you do that you are absolutely guaranteed to meet some other players.
Maybe you might run a one shot and find a great group of players.
At the end of the session - put it out there - "I had a good time. Who wants to do another session next week? This was my first time GMing - it was a little patchy as Im still learning. Who wants to GM the next session?". Here is the TLDR read version. My group has 4 FG GMs and Im sure the other 2 will step up sooner or later and give it a crack. Sometimes it starts with someone else. Sometimes it starts with you.

Recliff apparently AL players are very flaky too and often dont show so they all overbook. Put your name down and show up and you are a chance to get a run.

Myrdin Potter
October 23rd, 2016, 05:19
I just ran a AL game and discussed it here in these forums first. If you are looking for a level one game, those are popular but I can run something and reserve slots for people,that I know are coming for sure.

OldJarhead
October 23rd, 2016, 14:02
OldJarhead you aint having much fun yet are you!.........

I am absolutely having a blast with FG and D&D. I have been reunited with an old friend (D&D) and I am loving it.

Yes, I did get in two games at FGCon and they were both pretty good. I think my difficulties finding AL Games is the times most of them seem to be available don't quite mesh with my work schedule. I am partaking in three weekly games right now, and those are fun, but I'm an addict man! I want more!!!!!

I have thought about running a group, but I am trying to get a little smarter (probably never happen) about FG and the little tricks mostly dealing with effects and such. I think the DM/GM should be really conversant with that. I have had some luck tagging myself in the TS LFG Channel with "Looking for game" and just doing other things while waiting to see if someone will offer. Played a DCC game yesterday that was pretty interesting, not sure if I like that rule set or not. My other problem is I have to restrict myself to a low number of rule-sets as my gray matter is a little funky and too much info can cause issues.

damned
October 23rd, 2016, 14:11
Good to hear OldJarHead
you most certainly do NOT need to know effects to be the GM... in my opinion the players ought to work out and setup their own effects :)
The GM has enough things to worry about - I really believe that.

Aldente
October 23rd, 2016, 23:42
I agree that it can be challenging to find games, and I'll second damned's recommendation to sign up even if a game looks booked. I typically run a few AL games each week via ALOnlineTools. I regularly have more than a dozen players sign up, but about half of them don't show up. I've only had to turn away a person once, and he wasn't actually signed up; he was just hoping to get in last minute. Also keep in mind that many ALOT DMs will prioritize players who haven't yet played the module on another character.

BTW, you can identify ALOT DMs by their special icon.

Good luck!