PDA

View Full Version : Ability Checks

Ramtrap
October 22nd, 2016, 13:35
Hi all,

I'm a brand new GM (started last Saturday) and I have a question about ability checks. I know it's GM discretion in many instances whether or not they can be done multiple times to find a trap or treasure, or that other people in the party can perform the check next; I'm fine with that.

My question is when it comes to performing an ability check and you're only able to move x number of feet if you succeed. For example, let's say there's a 50 foot wall that a character wants to climb and there is no combat. There's a strength (Athletics) check that must be met in order to climb; so far so good. The PC can also only move 1/2 speed while climbing--got that, too. But does the player need to succeed on another ability check to move any further? If he's got a movement speed of 30 and succeeds on the ability check, he can move 15 feet. Does he get to move another 15 feet on his next 'turn,' or does he first need to succeed again on another strength (Athletics) check?

Granted there are ways to circumvent this creatively with rope or boosting up, but with just the scenario I'd put above, can they continue movement, or are multiple ability checks required?

Many thanks!

-Will

El Condoro
October 22nd, 2016, 13:50
If there is no combat, as you say, I would just make 1 check and be done with it. Possibly something like a DC xx Strength (Athletics) check to climb. If the characters use rope or some inventive way to make the climb safer, it can be made with advantage. If it's really clever and very little likelihood of failure, don't bother with a check at all.

damned
October 22nd, 2016, 13:59
Do what feels right at the time.

If the cliff is very tough - spell it out up front - its gonna take 3 successful Dex checks.
If you fail the third one you will fall from a great height....

If the cliff is climbable allow a single check - if they just fail perhaps they slip at the bottom and no/little harm done.
If they fail badly they fall near the top...

Having everything decided by a long succession of dice rolls is... not fun.

Ramtrap
October 22nd, 2016, 14:10
If there is no combat, as you say, I would just make 1 check and be done with it. Possibly something like a DC xx Strength (Athletics) check to climb. If the characters use rope or some inventive way to make the climb safer, it can be made with advantage. If it's really clever and very little likelihood of failure, don't bother with a check at all.

This helps tons, thank you!

GunnarGreybeard
October 22nd, 2016, 14:17
What I usually do is have them roll for each 15', if that is what they are able to climb in 1 round BUT, if they fail, they do not fall, they are just stuck at that spot (searching/struggling to find handholds, etc) until the next round, when they can try to move up again. They would only fall on a Nat 1 and would fall from the location they are at when they rolled it. On a Nat 20 they move double the climb rate.

Ramtrap
October 22nd, 2016, 14:40
There is text that indicates they fall if they roll 1-5 and take 1d6 dmg so I guess what GunnarGreyBerd said makes sense. Succeed and they climb 15 feet. Reroll and 10+ is success, 6-9 is no ground made, 1-5 is fall. I think that's how I'll go. Thanks everyone!