PDA

View Full Version : Accidentally deleted story

goodmanje
October 22nd, 2016, 05:27
I'm working on converting a module to Fantasy Grounds and I have twice now deleted a huge chuck of the story after entering it.... Is there anyway to ctrl-Z or something to undo that? If not this thing just sets people up for a lot of wasted time. You can't really save as you work so how do you avoid this?

LordEntrails
October 22nd, 2016, 05:45
Type /save in the chat window.
But FG normally saves periodically so I'm not sure what's happening. Can you tell us more? Like how are the entries getting deleted?

If you are not deleting them and you do a bunch of work, exit FG and then Relaunch FG and they are missing, then that is because of a folder permission issue.

Let us know more details and we can help you figure it out.

damned
October 22nd, 2016, 06:23
[ctrl]+z does work when you are editing a text section. [ctrl]+y does not. You must still be within this text section for this to work. Go out and I think it stops.
If you delete a story entry you actually have to confirm before it deletes. If you do delete - its gone.
Why/how are you deleting things?
It is good practice to backup before or after every prep and game session. At least that is what I do. I zip up that campaign and stick that in OneDrive or Dropbox.

goodmanje
October 22nd, 2016, 07:02
I'm not sure what I did the first time. The second time I was trying to delete one item and somehow deleted the wrong one... It was my fault both times. I didn't realize I could type /save in the chat window. That will solve my problems. I'm the type that constantly hits the save button while working on documents. Thanks for the help!!

damned
October 22nd, 2016, 07:41
I'm not sure what I did the first time. The second time I was trying to delete one item and somehow deleted the wrong one... It was my fault both times. I didn't realize I could type /save in the chat window. That will solve my problems. I'm the type that constantly hits the save button while working on documents. Thanks for the help!!

Hi goodmanje FG saves every 5mins anyway but it saves over the top of itself.
If you make an error like that do this:

Have your campaign folder open in Windows Explorer all the time (at least until you are comfortable you dont need to anymore) and if you make a mistake quickly copy your db.xml to another location. Close and exit FG. Rename the current db.xml as db.20161022.xml (or whatever date it is) and then copy your previously saved db.xml back in. Restart your campaign and *hope* that you were quick enough and there wasnt an autosave in between.

Zacchaeus
October 22nd, 2016, 10:39
Indeed, hitting the save button won't do you any good if you delete stuff since as damned says it will save the changes over the top of the previous save so you'll still have lost what you deleted. If you are in the habit of deleting the wrong thing then some kind of back up software might be of benefit - but not cloud based.

goodmanje
October 22nd, 2016, 19:11
Thanks guys, that helps a lot. This is my first attempt to convert a module so hopefully with practice I'll make less mistakes. The module I'm working on is "The Dragons Demand" for Pathfinder. I have a couple of Savage Worlds adventures I'm considering as well. Soon I'll be ready to GM some games!