PDA

View Full Version : Complete New Player. Please Read!

TrainofPain
October 22nd, 2016, 02:13
I am not sure exactly how I should go about this but I am giving it my best shot. I have seen multiple D&D streams from Critical Roll to Court of Swords and even smaller ones run by Thaithyme.

I was introduced to Fantasy Grounds today and have watched multiple you tube videos and read tutorials on how to use Fantasy Grounds software. I currently only have the free version but want to join a group to play with. I am writing this because I want to make it very clear that I am very new and have NEVER participated in any D&D game. With that being said I want to learn and want to participate so if you are okay with teaching me and allowing me to learn with you and your group then I can promise you that I am an extremely quick learner and will pick it up I just need to find a group that is willing to "pop my cherry".

Thank you all for your time,
Train

GunnarGreybeard
October 22nd, 2016, 03:35
Welcome to the forums Train! Make sure you put your time zone in your signature or profile location so potential GM"s can see that. Other than that, make sure to keep an eye on the LFG - Looking for Group section and inquire about any games that meet your interests.

TrainofPain
October 22nd, 2016, 03:38
Thank you for the response. To be honest, I am a disabled vet so I am literally available 18 hours out of the day (6 for sleeping :P ) but I will def add it to my profile.

GunnarGreybeard
October 22nd, 2016, 03:40
Thank you for the response. To be honest, I am a disabled vet so I am literally available 18 hours out of the day (6 for sleeping :P ) but I will def add it to my profile.
Well, kinda off-topic but, thanks for your service brother. And sleep is over-rated. :rv:

TrainofPain
October 22nd, 2016, 03:41
Haha sleep may be over-rated but without it no way I could possibly keep up with my kids.

rob2e
October 22nd, 2016, 03:45
Yes, just keep watching the forums and you will find many games to play...

TrainofPain
October 22nd, 2016, 04:07
I hope so rob2e. The one thing I believe would hinder my ability is how new I am to this genre.

Zacchaeus
October 22nd, 2016, 10:42
I hope so rob2e. The one thing I believe would hinder my ability is how new I am to this genre.

Not a barrier at all; after all every one of us started from scratch at some point.

viresanimi
October 22nd, 2016, 11:14
Welcome to the best place on the net good sir. I hope you find what you're looking for. Unfortunately I am disabled myself and can't do regular games, but there are so many nice people around here, that I am sure you will find a good place. Might take a little patience.

Vires Animi

@gunnargreybeard

And sleep is over-rated.
I was once just like this. But try, just TRY living without a normal sleep pattern or much of it at all for extended periods. You will pray for sleep. I guarantee it!

Zerbious
October 22nd, 2016, 13:41

In no way a barrier! Many of us our old school gamers, but LOVE to bring new players into the game.

I am new to FG myself and to D&D 5e, but getting the itch to DM again. Unfortunately I currently only have a standard license of FG, so I couldn't host a game for players with the demo atm... soon(tm), soon!

Definitely keep an eye out though, one thing that sold me on FG is the amazing community! You will find a DM willing to teach you.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!!!!

TrainofPain
October 22nd, 2016, 17:55
In no way a barrier! Many of us our old school gamers, but LOVE to bring new players into the game.

I am new to FG myself and to D&D 5e, but getting the itch to DM again. Unfortunately I currently only have a standard license of FG, so I couldn't host a game for players with the demo atm... soon(tm), soon!

Definitely keep an eye out though, one thing that sold me on FG is the amazing community! You will find a DM willing to teach you.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!!!!

Awesome. I started to get extremely interested after watching a few D&D streams on twitch. I actually have found a group to play with. I am so excited to see how this goes and how quickly I can pick stuff up. Thank you everyone for the kind words and may one day we play in the same session with each other.

vodokar
October 22nd, 2016, 19:54
Welcome to Fantasy Grounds and Welcome to the hobby.

Don't worry. D&D is easy to learn the mechanics of. At it's core, it's just "roll a 20 sided dice and add or subtract some number." A great many of us here learned it when we were teenagers. The nuances of actually learning to roleplay, getting into the story, into character, surviving the dangers presented to you etc., you will learn all at the table with lots of other friendly people. It isn't a wargame or competition, no winner or losers. It's people getting together to experience a story. Sometimes your character survives, sometimes he or she doesn't, but as long as you had fun doing the story, you were successful. Some of the most funnest experiences are when that dragon kicks your butt.

Lot's of helpful people here. Many game masters looking for players. I am gearing up to do a campaign now, so I'll keep you in mind when I am ready. Oh, and hello to a fellow Vet. I was 12 years US Navy.

MadBadHare
October 23rd, 2016, 01:09
Train,
I see you found the place and are fitting right in. I am glad you took the step and are becoming active in the community. I look forward to gaming with you and seeing you around twitch -

BTW thanks for the twitch follow too

TrainofPain
October 23rd, 2016, 04:00
Train,
I see you found the place and are fitting right in. I am glad you took the step and are becoming active in the community. I look forward to gaming with you and seeing you around twitch -

BTW thanks for the twitch follow too

Not a problem. Its the least that I can do for a fellow streamer and I thank you as well for the follow.

I have completed my first ever Session and loved it!!! Currently participating in a Ripper's Resurrected game. If any of you read this and are currently DM/GM and need a player let me know. I would love to participate in multiple games. I had a blast tonight and would love to check out the different stories!

Litvyak
October 23rd, 2016, 04:13
I have completed my first ever Session and loved it!!! Currently participating in a Ripper's Resurrected game. If any of you read this and are currently DM/GM and need a player let me know. I would love to participate in multiple games. I had a blast tonight and would love to check out the different stories!

Have you looked at the East Texas University (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34389-LFP-East-Texas-Universtiy-Savage-Worlds-on-Sat-Night-8PM-US-ET-(4-6-Players)) thread? First session is in two weeks.

TrainofPain
October 23rd, 2016, 05:02
Have you looked at the East Texas University (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34389-LFP-East-Texas-Universtiy-Savage-Worlds-on-Sat-Night-8PM-US-ET-(4-6-Players)) thread? First session is in two weeks.

I have not but I will look into it. Thank you for the information Litvyak

MadBadHare
October 23rd, 2016, 06:34
Not a problem. Its the least that I can do for a fellow streamer and I thank you as well for the follow.

As i said - it is all about growing the community. So spread the word. I would love to see more gaming streams using FG. Bigger community = more games = more fun

TrainofPain
October 23rd, 2016, 07:13
Oh definitely, once I get a little more comfortable I will definitely be playing in games that will allow me to stream them.

Talyn
October 23rd, 2016, 17:42
Welcome to the FG forums and community, TrainofPain and thank you very much for your service and sacrifice to keep us safe and free.

As you've noticed, we're a pretty friendly and tightly-knit bunch around here. I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding some games to hop in. Welcome aboard and happy gaming!

Talen
October 23rd, 2016, 18:32
Train, if you are interested in streaming the Rippers campaign, I'd be happy to be a part of it.

TrainofPain
October 23rd, 2016, 18:40
Train, if you are interested in streaming the Rippers campaign, I'd be happy to be a part of it.

It had definitely crossed my mind to ask the group to stream it but I am not sure if I am ready to that leap yet. Streaming can be difficult and to balance streaming with a style of game that I am brand new at could be a disaster. I believe the safest bet would be for me to a participate in a couple games and then once I am comfortable setup a group that is all okay being streamed maybe everyone have a webcam so the audience can feel immersed by seeing our facial expressions or concerns.