PDA

View Full Version : Brand new to FG, just got my Hardcover C&C books. WOW! Excellent system.

Hawker73
October 21st, 2016, 05:43
Wow. I have been out of the RPG scene for decades really, and I don't think I realized how much I missed it until I started playing this weeks. What I am really even more impressed with is these latest C&C hardcovers that just arrived. The quality is excellent easily rivaling my beloved 1E books, or anything by TSR, or WoTC has ever produced. I swear I am getting the same nostalgia as the first time I opened my Ad&D books in a Waldens book store as a kid. It looks like exactly what I have been wanting since being disappointed in 2E so long ago. Either that or this is a start of a RPG induced regression mid-life crisis.....either way that's fine by me.. :D

The only issue I see so far is I do wonder how the Seige Engine/Saving Throw system will work out at higher levels.....I can see how magic attacks and breath etc could be much more unforgiving in this system. However that may just be based on my quick over view, and still trying to grasp how it plays out. I can't say enough how much I am impressed with the hardcovers and quality by Troll Lord Games. (I know I sound like a salesman at this point) In any case I am an instant fan.

I have been very lucky and found two on going games to join, but am eager for more C&C now. If anyone has a space in any ongoing games, particular new games where a 1st level might join....I would be very interested, but I am interested in any good groups regardless of level.

I am a old school 1E 80's gamer......I was born the Year D&D came out in 1973.....and it was clear it was made for me! Or maybe I was made for it!. To me 2E is still "new" D&D. I really prefered 1E with Dragon Magazine, and Unearthed Arcana additions etc. Only played 3rd twice and no interest, and did not play D&D anymore as our group split up and our DM sadly passed away. This is really the game I have wanted ever since. I will play some 5E and have to say it's the best thing I have seen since 1E as for streamlined and lack of bloat, But C&C I am pretty sure is where I want to be most.

If you're playing C&C on Fantasy Grounds you'd be crazy not to pick these books up...I have played a lot of systems. D&D basic, 1E, 2e, 3e, various palladium systems like robotech etc, Top Secret, CoC 4th-6th, Gurps, Star Frontiers, Warhammer FRP, and these books are an immediate classic.

(No i do not represent or work with TLG.....just sharing what I love. )

vodokar
October 21st, 2016, 14:50
I totally understand the feeling, man. My re-awakening was about 2007, after having not played for about 20 years. At that time, the choices were pretty much 4e or Pathfinder, as C&C hadn't made it's way to FG yet and much of the OSR really hadn't gotten into full swing yet, and I had lost my beloved 1e books years ago.

But, your waking up in a much improved environment. 5e is so much better than 4e or Pathfinder, IMHO. The 1e books are out there in PDF or the hardback reprints they did a few years ago can probably still be snagged somewheres on the internet. C&C is great (though I personally don't like the Siege Engine). There are some other great games also that have come about. Check out S&W and Labryth Lords and Adventurers Dark and Deep and Dungeon Crawl Classics and Mutant Crawl Classics and the list goes on. It feels like 1974 all over again.

Talyn
October 21st, 2016, 16:55
Congrats! My PHB just arrived in the mail two days ago too! Very well put together, so I was impressed right away. I've had the 5th and 6th printing PDFs for awhile now but wanted at least one actual dead tree for bragging rights. :)

SIEGE engine is fine by me. I mean, the whole reason I play different games is to play different games not play one game over and over and just call it something else each time. I do think they could possibly describe it better, maybe that's a "problem" people have? Or at least, people raised on the 3E+ era of +everything. In which case you could probably just set a base Target Number of 18 and your Primes give a +6, which has approximately a similar effect of the Prime Target Number being 12.

In FG though, all that stuff should be automated and a non-issue. Just play! (At least I hope that's the case, I haven't yet had a chance to try C&C in an actual game.)

Andraax
October 21st, 2016, 17:02
The only issue I see so far is I do wonder how the Seige Engine/Saving Throw system will work out at higher levels.....I can see how magic attacks and breath etc could be much more unforgiving in this system. However that may just be based on my quick over view, and still trying to grasp how it plays out.

The Castle Keeper should be throwing harder challenges at you, so the Challenge Level (CL) should go up as the player's level increases. This serves to continue to balance out the numbers.

vodokar
October 21st, 2016, 19:13
SIEGE engine is fine by me. I mean, the whole reason I play different games is to play different games not play one game over and over and just call it something else each time.

In total agreement with that. Didn't say I don't or wouldn't play C&C, just meant, that for me, it isn't a replacement for D&D or AD&D. The main reason, for me, is the SIEGE Engine. It's great to have different games. I'm glad they did things a different way. I'll still play other games also, because they don't use the SIEGE Engine, while C&C does, which makes it unique.

Hawker73
October 23rd, 2016, 15:01
The siege engine is nothing more really then a new way to do saving throws. So in particular what is wrong with it? Truly asking, as I have only played 1 full session.

Talyn
October 23rd, 2016, 17:38
Yeah it's just CB (12 or 18) + CL + Mods so I don't see the problem at all. Easy math, which should be handled in FG so it's really just a normal die roll like anything else.

vodokar
October 23rd, 2016, 23:08
The siege engine is nothing more really then a new way to do saving throws. So in particular what is wrong with it? Truly asking, as I have only played 1 full session.

Correct, sir. Nothing is wrong with it. I just prefer saving throws to be based on class and level ala AD&D 1e vice being attribute based. Call it Nostalgia, or whatever. Nothing wrong with an attribute based approach, though, and as previously stated, I do own and use the C&C ruleset also. As a matter of fact, I picked up a ton of C&C print modules in their recent .99 cent clearance sale.

To me, and perhaps this is just me, I'm not looking for that "one system to rule them all". I like many different games, even many different D&D based games. I prefer to run adventure modules in the system they were originally created for than to convert to a different system. I personally own and currently play, 5e, DCC RPG, C&C, Crypts and Things, Swords and Wizardry, Savage Worlds, and AD&D 1e. I just purchased Barbarians of Lemuria and Astonishing Swordsmen and Sorcerers of Hyperboria. I don't play 4e much anymore, but still own a bunch of stuff for it, also. So, while I may not like all game mechanics of all games equally, I do play them if there are interesting adventures to be had. For the most part, it's the quality of the adventure modules of the different games that draw me in rather than the particular game mechanics of them.

Strictly mechanically speaking though, as I said, I really liked the fact that saving throws had more to do with what class you were and your proficiency in that class, rather than it simply being your attribute and level. It probably is really nostalgia as to why I feel that way, because I played 1e for years.