PDA

View Full Version : Hero points in 5e

bnickelsen
October 21st, 2016, 05:25
Is teh option rule for Hero points in teh core 5E some place?

damned
October 21st, 2016, 06:11
Click on my signature and find Hero Points for 5E there

This extension adds an editable field called Hero Points

The name can be edited to any name (eg Luck Points, Favour, Boons, Second Chance) and points can be edited by the player.
The player can double click [1] to roll and will receive a simple message to the chat window and the points will be reduced by one.

You can also set a dice [2] and it will then roll that dice and report that with the message above

[3] Shows output when a dice is associated with the Hero Points
[4] Shows output with no dice set

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=56066

El Condoro
October 21st, 2016, 10:20
Are hero points different to the inspiration used in 5e?

bnickelsen
October 21st, 2016, 13:01
What are Hero Points? I made a Hero Points extension a little while ago that should work for 5e.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?28660-Hero-Points-Extension-for-CoreRPG-(3-5E-4E-PFRPG-CoC-CnC)
I dont know what they are supposed to do in 5e - this is just a visual tracker of Hero Points and usage.

In the DMG. Under the section for alternative rule is Herald points. Basicallya play can spend a hero point to add 1D6 to role they just made. They can have between 5 and 15 of these points at any time.

The extension you point to clearly states except 5e. :]

bnickelsen
October 21st, 2016, 13:01

Yes they are.

Zacchaeus
October 21st, 2016, 14:32
The answer you seek is no, the Hero points alternative rule isn't embedded in FG. You could do it though by setting up a Power Group and just giving it so many uses per day/Long rest/short rest or whatever.

bnickelsen
October 21st, 2016, 14:34
The answer you seek is no, the Hero points alternative rule isn't embedded in FG. You could do it though by setting up a Power Group and just giving it so many uses per day/Long rest/short rest or whatever.

Is there a way to commission an extension?

damned
October 21st, 2016, 16:13
Is there a way to commission an extension?

EDIT: See updated post - https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34565-Hero-points-in-5e&p=295774&viewfull=1#post295774

Sure.
Knock yourself out.
As simple as this looks it took me three bloody hours to do.
Im off to bed.

Do your normal dice roll. Perhaps it was an Attack o the Green Goblin Thing. You roll a 9+2 for your level or somesuch and FG reports a miss.
Double click your Hero Points to roll one time. Drag result to Modifier.
Now drag your attack result from Chat onto the target again and see what happens.
Ill try and have the dice result add directly to the Modifier box but.not.right.now.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15796&d=1477062987

LordEntrails
October 21st, 2016, 17:19
nice damned! Or damn nice?

This would work for Bardic Inspiration too wouldn't it? Sounds like the same mechanic.

bnickelsen
October 21st, 2016, 17:29
Sure.
Knock yourself out.
As simple as this looks it took me three bloody hours to do.
Im off to bed.

Do your normal dice roll. Perhaps it was an Attack o the Green Goblin Thing. You roll a 9+2 for your level or somesuch and FG reports a miss.
Double click your Hero Points to roll one time. Drag result to Modifier.
Now drag your attack result from Chat onto the target again and see what happens.
Ill try and have the dice result add directly to the Modifier box but.not.right.now.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15796&d=1477062987

Holy crap dude, I supper appreciate your efforts.

damned
October 21st, 2016, 23:30
nice damned! Or damn nice?

This would work for Bardic Inspiration too wouldn't it? Sounds like the same mechanic.

I think they all use different dice. Bards give different dice depending on what level they are on.

damned
October 22nd, 2016, 06:18
Ok - I cant find the rules in the PHB bnickelsen could you point me in the right direction?
Additionally LordEntrails got me thinking... so a couple of hours further along it now supports you setting any single dice from d4-d20 to use as the extra roll.
Because Bardic inspiration is given to someone else - Ive decided against setting it to add to the Modifiers automatically.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15803&d=1477113437

Ill upload an update when I hear back from bnickelsen.
Now I really need to get back to CoC conversion...

Szabtom
October 22nd, 2016, 10:00
Wow, superb, this is going to work for bardic inspiration! Actually, the automatic addition to modifier would be my preferred option. The bard only needs to track the number of dice he has given out. I would use a power or ammo counter for that.
For the other player who actually uses the bonus die the automation would be really convenient.

Zacchaeus
October 22nd, 2016, 10:32
This should also work for superiority dice as well and there are a few spell effects that it can also be used for.

Well done damned you've opened a whole can of worms here :)

bnickelsen
October 22nd, 2016, 13:08
Ok - I cant find the rules in the PHB bnickelsen could you point me in the right direction?
Additionally LordEntrails got me thinking... so a couple of hours further along it now supports you setting any single dice from d4-d20 to use as the extra roll.
Because Bardic inspiration is given to someone else - Ive decided against setting it to add to the Modifiers automatically.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15803&d=1477113437

Now I really need to get back to CoC conversion...

DMG pg. 264 right column

Maspalio
October 22nd, 2016, 18:29

Just wondering: with this extension, can the damage result (i.e one d6) be stored and add to a following roll's result ?

I mean, not displayed in the chat as it is rolled at first, but added to the second roll.

Zacchaeus
October 22nd, 2016, 20:24
Just wondering: with this extension, can the damage result (i.e one d6) be stored and add to a following roll's result ?

I mean, not displayed in the chat as it is rolled at first, but added to the second roll.

Not without an extension to the extension :)

What you can do is once the hero dice has been rolled it can be dragged and dropped onto the target. So for example if you decide to add some damage by using a Hero point and rolling the d6 you can (or at least the DM can) pick up the result of the d6 roll and drop it onto the wounds of the target.

damned
October 23rd, 2016, 00:50
Ok so this is where Ive gone with the extension:

Notes:
Single click the Hero Points field to edit it (eg add Hero Points).
Double click to use a Hero Point.
You cant use Hero Points if you don’t have any - nothing will happen from your double click,
Double clicking will decrement the count by 1.
You can rename the Hero Points anything you like and it will use that name in the roll descriptions (this will make it useful in games where you are not using Hero Points but are using Bardic Inspiration for example).
Each player can have them named differently.
If you leave the dice field blank it will just report that you have used Hero Point (or whatever its called).
If you select a die from the cycler (click to move to the next die size) it will also roll that die to the Chat window.
If a die result is displayed in the window you can then drag that directly onto a target or drag it to the Modifiers dock.
This will then apply to your next roll -or- you can drag your previous roll back onto its target and it will recalculate and add the Hero Points in.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15810&d=1477180144

bnickelsen
October 23rd, 2016, 02:34
Ok so this is where Ive gone with the extension:

Notes:
Single click the Hero Points field to edit it (eg add Hero Points).
Double click to use a Hero Point.
You cant use Hero Points if you don’t have any - nothing will happen from your double click,
Double clicking will decrement the count by 1.
You can rename the Hero Points anything you like and it will use that name in the roll descriptions (this will make it useful in games where you are not using Hero Points but are using Bardic Inspiration for example).
Each player can have them named differently.
If you leave the dice field blank it will just report that you have used Hero Point (or whatever its called).
If you select a die from the cycler (click to move to the next die size) it will also roll that die to the Chat window.
If a die result is displayed in the window you can then drag that directly onto a target or drag it to the Modifiers dock.
This will then apply to your next roll -or- you can drag your previous roll back onto its target and it will recalculate and add the Hero Points in.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15810&d=1477180144

Looking good... Just wondering how hard it would be to lock the ability to add points and make so that only the DM can add.

demonsbane
November 1st, 2016, 00:03
I just stumbled with this extension. Looks good!

For the sake of flexibility, I was hoping to see Inspiration and Hero Points linked at the DMG's release (at the very least making them translatable: for instance Inspiration = 2 Hero Points or whatever), instead of completely separated treatments of them.

But of course this has nothing to do with this extension.

Thegroo
November 1st, 2016, 03:00
wow. great work

LordEntrails
November 7th, 2016, 22:12
Has anyone tested this in 3.2 yet?

Nulk
November 7th, 2016, 22:18
I have it running in 3.2, seems to be working ok for me anyway.

LordEntrails
November 7th, 2016, 22:58
I have it running in 3.2, seems to be working ok for me anyway.
Yeah, thanks :)

damned
November 7th, 2016, 23:03
I just tested it in 3.2.1 :)

Trenloe
November 7th, 2016, 23:57
Yeah, but has it been properly checked for code compatibility? Testing might prove that the extension works, but doesn't prove that it's not breaking/ignoring something new in v3.2.(1).

More info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?22975-5E-Community-extensions&p=298705&viewfull=1#post298705

damned
November 8th, 2016, 00:13
Yeah, but has it been properly checked for code compatibility? Testing might prove that the extension works, but doesn't prove that it's not breaking/ignoring something new in v3.2.(1).

More info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?22975-5E-Community-extensions&p=298705&viewfull=1#post298705

It uses its own database field and as long as no other item has been introduced to sit in that same piece of screen then I cant think of anything else that needs checking/testing....?

Trenloe
November 8th, 2016, 00:29
It uses its own database field and as long as no other item has been introduced to sit in that same piece of screen then I cant think of anything else that needs checking/testing....?
Don't assume! There's only one way to be sure (other than taking off and nuking it from orbit). :D

BushViper
February 6th, 2023, 22:32
I had no idea this existed until it appeared on the Forge recently.

Anyway, I like the idea of this extension and would use it for something other than Hero Points, but it doesn't work with MNMs Character Sheet Tweaks.

I'm not requesting a fix, just informing that the two are incompatible.

damned
March 2nd, 2023, 00:46
There is now 2 extensions in this package - one labelled MNM for use with that extension.
Obviously use only one of the Hero Point extensions.

Vague
June 19th, 2023, 05:42
Reporting that the latest update seems to have broken the extension. When active, the character name is removed from the character but no Hero Points are added.

damned
June 19th, 2023, 11:54
Please post a screen shot - Im not seeing that.

Vague
June 19th, 2023, 19:17
Please post a screen shot - Im not seeing that.

Details:

With MNM exts active and using Hero Point for MNM:
No name or Hero Points

With MNM exts active and using Hero Points 5e:
Name but no Hero Points

Without MNM exts and using Hero Points 5e:
Name and Hero Points

Without MNM exts and using Hero Points MNM:
No name or Hero Points

The unexpected behavior expresses itself with MNM extensions and Hero Points MNM active. In that case neither the character name nor the Hero Points are displayed on the character sheet.

This behavior is also seen when MNM extensions are inactive and Hero Points MNM is active. In this case as well, neither the character name nor the Hero Points are displayed on the character sheet. This step was taken as part of testing and was not expected to be functional.

damned
June 20th, 2023, 01:36
Details:

This behavior is also seen when MNM extensions are inactive and Hero Points MNM is active. In this case as well, neither the character name nor the Hero Points are displayed on the character sheet. This step was taken as part of testing and was not expected to be functional.

OK so MNM is kind of important in this report. Hero Points for 5E is working fine.
Ill make contact with MNM and do an update over the weekend.
There is no point in testing Hero Points for MNM without MNM because it depends on MNM.

Vague
June 20th, 2023, 22:39
OK so MNM is kind of important in this report. Hero Points for 5E is working fine.
Ill make contact with MNM and do an update over the weekend.
There is no point in testing Hero Points for MNM without MNM because it depends on MNM.

I knew that, but wanted to provide as much detail as I could for you.

damned
July 3rd, 2023, 14:30
Please update and try again.

damned
January 14th, 2024, 06:00
New build has been uploaded.

rocketvaultgames
January 15th, 2024, 15:10
With MNM exts active and using Hero Point for MNM: by default at the smallest character sheet window size, INSP gets hidden behind Hero Points. Increasing the size of the window does fix this, so it's not a huge deal, but would it be possible to have it anchored so that the minimum width for the character sheet window would show both?

Default: https://imgur.com/TFFh5Jw

Expanded: https://imgur.com/oPvUioY

damned
January 16th, 2024, 01:40
Updated for MNM also.

rocketvaultgames
January 16th, 2024, 04:10
I appreciate the quick response.

It is now anchored so that regardless of width, Hero Points are there and unobstructed.

Unfortunately, The Name banner now runs over the portrait/token and Inspiration seems to be absent completely at any width/height.

https://i.imgur.com/HxXHMLS.png

Chewie81
January 22nd, 2024, 22:24
Hi, I have a suggestion and if it is implemented it will help greatly in my game, are you able to add the hero point die to a roll string.

For example lets call the hero point die a dH. The string for damage for would appear like 1d6+4+dH where dH is what ever is set in the hero point window.

FYI I am playing Stargate SG1 5e version where it uses extra die for certain things called a tension die. However the tension die extension in the forge does not suit at all.

damned
January 23rd, 2024, 00:54
Dice are defined at ruleset load time.
Thus a dH would be defined as a specific size etc for everyone at load time - it cannot be changed through in session changes and it would always be one size for all participants in that session. Eg it cant be done in that way.

Chewie81
January 23rd, 2024, 01:25
Thanks for the reply and the details on the complexities.

I can still work with what you have built it just requires my players to remember what they need to do.