PDA

View Full Version : Today I have mostly been working on (light effects)

Trenloe
October 20th, 2016, 03:13
A very quick video on what I'm playing with at the moment:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6oOdW6SsMwsZGgwUVVxTnFfM1U

The light token is the very nice DAYLIGHT token from hagrid70's token pack, info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34446-DnD-5E-Tokens-are-done

This is something I've been thinking about for a while, the main issue being adding token handlers - which I've got sorted.

Lots more to do on this - i.e. add options for up to 7 different light sources, full auto-scaling, etc.. But, I'm pretty happy with it so far... :)

LordEntrails
October 20th, 2016, 03:41
Nice. One more great contribution from you.

Trenloe
October 20th, 2016, 03:57
And here we have the goblin assassin sneaking up on the unsuspecting mage at the back of the party, keeping just out of the radius of her light spell.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15771

damned
October 20th, 2016, 04:20
Nice work Trenloe!

JohnD
October 20th, 2016, 04:47
Oh awesome... well done.

Zacchaeus
October 20th, 2016, 11:07
Yep, I like this a lot.

Callum
October 20th, 2016, 15:45
That's excellent - looking forward to this! I tried to do this manually for a while with some light tokens I created myself, but it was too much work.

In 3.5E/Pathfinder, I've always ruled that a light source is located at a corner of the creature's space (by extension from the rules for a spell's area) - and the creature can choose which corner. I guess that would be too diifficult to implement?

Trenloe
October 20th, 2016, 16:00
I guess that would be too diifficult to implement?
Yup.

Callum
October 22nd, 2016, 09:21
I thought as much. Never mind - this extension will be great, anyway!

MarianDz
October 22nd, 2016, 17:23
very nice :)

Dr0W
October 29th, 2016, 14:03
This looks great. I'm looking forward to take a peek at the code when it's done.

Also, is it planned to have a instant movement when you drag the token?

Thegroo
October 29th, 2016, 14:22
well done

Trenloe
October 30th, 2016, 07:26
Also, is it planned to have a instant movement when you drag the token?
It's already there - as shown in the video.

Dr0W
October 30th, 2016, 14:24
It's already there - as shown in the video.

I meant the light source moving instantly when you move the token, something like the Shaken status on SW ruleset.
Absolutely not a complaint, just curious and interested in seeing this finished.

Trenloe
October 30th, 2016, 15:57
I meant the light source moving instantly when you move the token, something like the Shaken status on SW ruleset.
Can't be done - this is using tokens, not widgets (which is what the statuses use). Base FG visibly glides tokens across the map when their position is changed through code/other user moving them.

Only the person moving the token will see this delayed move of the light to catch up. Everyone else with see the original token "glide" to the new location (this is standard Fantasy Grounds) and the light should track this.

rob2e
October 30th, 2016, 16:13
This is GREAT! Can't wait.

Gwydion
November 3rd, 2016, 00:02
+1! Awesome!

irish_carbomb
January 7th, 2017, 17:58
Any update on this?

Trenloe
January 7th, 2017, 18:03
Any update on this?
Nope. It's still on my list, but there are other priorities currently.

anemeth
January 7th, 2017, 20:31
Could it work with Fog of War (aka only see where the light source is)?

Trenloe
January 7th, 2017, 21:18
Could it work with Fog of War (aka only see where the light source is)?
Nope, not automatically. There is currently no way to adjust the mask through the FG API.

The light token would be used by the GM as a guide to what they would manually reveal.

Bidmaron
January 31st, 2017, 21:37
Great work Trenloe!

mhorgunn
February 1st, 2017, 15:17
This is really great I like it a lot. Is this an extension that is in the works? Will it be for just Pathfinder?

Gwydion
February 1st, 2017, 15:28
This is really great I like it a lot. Is this an extension that is in the works? Will it be for just Pathfinder?

Trenloe gets pulled in soooo many directions and this is on his list but not at the top per his post of a couple weeks ago. This will be awesome but I know he has a lot on his plate to get to first.....

Patou
February 1st, 2017, 16:14
most definitely interested in this! Very Awesome!:)

Trenloe
February 1st, 2017, 16:20
This will be awesome but I know he has a lot on his plate to get to first.....
Indeed.

tjrez
February 1st, 2017, 16:29
Nice effect.

mhorgunn
February 1st, 2017, 18:46
Trenloe gets pulled in soooo many directions and this is on his list but not at the top per his post of a couple weeks ago. This will be awesome but I know he has a lot on his plate to get to first.....

Believe me I understand about having a heaping plate. Thank you Trenloe for all you do!

Wonderbringer
February 1st, 2017, 19:09
Awesome. I have been doing this with my own token using the Enhanced Images extension. This will be so much easier. Will the light token be able to be adjusted? For instance, a different size for different light sources or perhaps a custom image?

Trenloe
February 1st, 2017, 19:10
I like the enthusiasm but I won't return to this for at least a couple of months (depending on what happens with FGU).

mhorgunn
February 2nd, 2017, 00:32
Very understandable.

Rhym
October 13th, 2017, 16:55
It has now been over 8 months since the last post in this thread, and it would seem the extension has been abandoned. I would however like to make the case that it would cover a great gaping hole in the current FG implementation (3.3.3), namely how the current best way to track light sources is to make a pointer and physically move it around every time you move each character. It gets old real fast and is further exacerbated by the fact that you can't stack entities. FG has a lot of things that aren't implemented perfectly, and you can usually find a workaround, but not when it comes to this issue. The Unity version is presumably a long way away (and ever further before it is fleshed out), and I'm sure the current users would like to have a working way to track light/vision before then and this project seemed to have progressed quite far before Trenloe was dragged away to other projects.

rob2e
October 13th, 2017, 16:58
I'm pretty sure no one is talking about this anymore because the Unity Engine update will have the lighting effects. It's still probably an early 2018 release (my personal guess), but no one is going to put effort into an extension that won't be needed in a few more months. IMO

Trenloe
October 13th, 2017, 17:06
It has now been over 8 months since the last post in this thread, and it would seem the extension has been abandoned.
I have other things more important to work on, that won't be superceded by functionality within FGU.

...and is further exacerbated by the fact that you can't stack entities.
Look at the layers extension here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20231-Enhanced-Images-%28layers%29-for-FG-3-0-CoreRPG-%28and-rulesets-based-on-CoreRPG%29 It has a number of gotchas and limitations - but is specifically made to get around the token stacking issues.

Personally, I stick with using the circles - each player who owns a PC with a light source puts the circle on the map which allows the player to move it - get your players to move their light source when the PC token moves.

Gwydion
October 13th, 2017, 17:08
It has now been over 8 months since the last post in this thread, and it would seem the extension has been abandoned. I would however like to make the case that it would cover a great gaping hole in the current FG implementation (3.3.3), namely how the current best way to track light sources is to make a pointer and physically move it around every time you move each character. It gets old real fast and is further exacerbated by the fact that you can't stack entities. FG has a lot of things that aren't implemented perfectly, and you can usually find a workaround, but not when it comes to this issue. The Unity version is presumably a long way away (and ever further before it is fleshed out), and I'm sure the current users would like to have a working way to track light/vision before then and this project seemed to have progressed quite far before Trenloe was dragged away to other projects.

One thing I have started doing, which I'll be the first to admit isn't perfect, is to use reach. I go into the combat tracker and change the reach to say 20' if someone had a torch. When I hover over their token I see the squares light up 20' around the character. It helps me keep track of what they can see. I might start doing it with darkvision (60'). I don't think I'm breaking anything as I think it is just intended as a visual representation of reach but doesn't really affect game mechanics (to my knowledge). In this way the "light" moves with the character when they move their token.

LordEntrails
October 13th, 2017, 17:50
One thing I have started doing, which I'll be the first to admit isn't perfect, is to use reach....
How do you change a creature's reach on the CT?

Trenloe
October 13th, 2017, 17:58
How do you change a creature's reach on the CT?
See "Map Settings" here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Combat_Tracker

LordEntrails
October 13th, 2017, 18:19
See "Map Settings" here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Combat_Tracker
Thanks, but I don't see any instructions there on how to change the value.

But, I did poke around and find it, there is an icon on the CT that I never used that pops open the size and reach settings!

Gwydion
October 13th, 2017, 18:22
Yes. That is it! Sorry. Was on a recall or would have responded earlier.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
October 13th, 2017, 18:29
Even as I look forward to the launch of the FGU and hoping it will come out soon, I believe that the change and migration of some players and game masters will not be immediate.
So I think it would be a good tool for those who still carry the FG, what puzzled me most was the fact that an image is "stuck" to the token, now the doubt is?
1 - Would it be possible to do this with the pointers?
2 - This multi-layer extension that does this or is it done by another script?

JK47
August 9th, 2020, 21:06
So, how is this downloadable/achievable in FG Classic? I have the tokens, but need to attach to a PC?

Trenloe
August 9th, 2020, 22:12
So, how is this downloadable/achievable in FG Classic? I have the tokens, but need to attach to a PC?
It was a proof of concept that never went any further.