PDA

View Full Version : [LFP] DCC RPG Doom of the Savage Kings - Fri Oct 28 9-11 pm EDT (GMT-4)

leozelig
October 20th, 2016, 00:49
Doom of the Savage Kings
High above the windswept moors and darksome woods, the village of Hirot is under siege. Each night, as the sun sinks beneath the western mountains and the candles burn low, a devil-beast stalks the village streets, unleashing its savage fury on the living. From warlord to pauper, crone to child, no one is safe.

Defeating the immortal hound will require more than mere blades or even spells. To slay the beast, the characters must delve into the mysteries of the land and its Savage Kings. Only then can the most cunning and courageous of adventurers challenge the hound of Hirot!

Level: 1
Ruleset: DCC RPG
Date: Friday, October 28
Time: 9:00 - 11:00 pm EDT (GMT-4)
Voice Chat: Google Hangouts (Google+ or Gmail account required)

Details: Players new to Fantasy Grounds or Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG are welcome. The rules are a hybrid of old school and modern game systems, not unlike Castles & Crusades. Treasure tends to be sparse, and PC death is a real possibility. Anyone familiar with D&D will catch on quickly, and fans of the OSR genre will really enjoy the pulpy atmosphere.

This adventure will run for 2 sessions at least. The next session will probably be the first or second week in November, depending on everyone's schedules. Please plan to attend both sessions as a courtesy to the rest of the group. No commitment is required beyond that, but I hope you will enjoy it enough to come back for more!

Post here or PM me if interested...

Quick option for PC generation: https://purplesorcerer.com/create_upper.php

Zhern
October 22nd, 2016, 02:18
I bet this will be a heck of a lot of fun. If it weren't at the same time as my Pathfinder game I would definitely be in.

Zhern

leozelig
October 22nd, 2016, 03:59
I bet this will be a heck of a lot of fun. If it weren't at the same time as my Pathfinder game I would definitely be in.

Zhern

They are a lot of fun - this is the fourth adventure I have run. Maybe you can join us sometime - if your schedule opens up, let me know.

Leo

vodokar
October 22nd, 2016, 04:05
Just to remind. I plan on attending. If there is room and you don't mind, I will bring my 15 year old son.

Tanarion
October 23rd, 2016, 06:42
I'm looking for a group, I'm a complete VTT noob. I have lots of experience with different systems but have never tried DCC. I have the free version as I'm going to try and play both roll20 and FG to see which I prefer. Don't worry I will not bail in the middle of the adventure, I will want to play multiple games on each platform, so I can make sure I get a good sampling. At the moment I have a mic but not a web cam but I can grab one from Amazon in a jiffy.

TrainofPain
October 23rd, 2016, 07:24
Doom of the Savage Kings
High above the windswept moors and darksome woods, the village of Hirot is under siege. Each night, as the sun sinks beneath the western mountains and the candles burn low, a devil-beast stalks the village streets, unleashing its savage fury on the living. From warlord to pauper, crone to child, no one is safe.

Defeating the immortal hound will require more than mere blades or even spells. To slay the beast, the characters must delve into the mysteries of the land and its Savage Kings. Only then can the most cunning and courageous of adventurers challenge the hound of Hirot!

Level: 1
Ruleset: DCC RPG
Date: Friday, October 28
Time: 9:00 - 11:00 pm EDT (GMT-4)
Voice Chat: Google Hangouts (Google+ or Gmail account required)

Details: Players new to Fantasy Grounds or Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG are welcome. The rules are a hybrid of old school and modern game systems, not unlike Castles & Crusades. Treasure tends to be sparse, and PC death is a real possibility. Anyone familiar with D&D will catch on quickly, and fans of the OSR genre will really enjoy the pulpy atmosphere.

This adventure will run for 2 sessions at least. The next session will probably be the first or second week in November, depending on everyone's schedules. Please plan to attend both sessions as a courtesy to the rest of the group. No commitment is required beyond that, but I hope you will enjoy it enough to come back for more!

Post here or PM me if interested...

Quick option for PC generation: https://purplesorcerer.com/create_upper.php

I have no experience with Doom of the Savage Kings or Dungeon Crawl Classics or D&D for that matter but the story seems very interesting and I would be interested in being apart of it. I'm only on the Demo version of FG hopefully that isn't the problem but if you are willing to show a little guidance I will be more than glad to attend.

leozelig
October 25th, 2016, 04:31
Just to remind. I plan on attending. If there is room and you don't mind, I will bring my 15 year old son.

I have you on the list :)

I'm still waiting to see who is coming. I want as many of the regular players to be there as possible, especially since I have based the plot pretty heavily on one PCs mercurial magic effect. The module allows for quite a few players, so it shouldn't be a problem.

leozelig
October 25th, 2016, 04:36
I'm looking for a group, I'm a complete VTT noob. I have lots of experience with different systems but have never tried DCC. I have the free version as I'm going to try and play both roll20 and FG to see which I prefer. Don't worry I will not bail in the middle of the adventure, I will want to play multiple games on each platform, so I can make sure I get a good sampling. At the moment I have a mic but not a web cam but I can grab one from Amazon in a jiffy.

Hey Tanarion. No need for a webcam, but voice chat uses Google Hangouts so a Gmail or Google+ account is necessary. DCC is very similar to 3.5E, so if you are familiar with that, you will pick it up fast.

PM me your info, and I'll invite you.

leozelig
October 25th, 2016, 05:00
I have no experience with Doom of the Savage Kings or Dungeon Crawl Classics or D&D for that matter but the story seems very interesting and I would be interested in being apart of it. I'm only on the Demo version of FG hopefully that isn't the problem but if you are willing to show a little guidance I will be more than glad to attend.

Hi TrainofPain, have you played anything else on FG? The group is getting pretty big, and I'm getting a little concerned about server overload. But I would be happy to have you otherwise - I will give you an update tomorrow regarding open seats.

TrainofPain
October 25th, 2016, 23:05
Hi TrainofPain, have you played anything else on FG? The group is getting pretty big, and I'm getting a little concerned about server overload. But I would be happy to have you otherwise - I will give you an update tomorrow regarding open seats.

It is quite alright, take the party that you currently have and maybe next time I will participate.

vodokar
October 25th, 2016, 23:08
Don't want to steal your thunder here Leo, but Damned suggested I might do a crosspost for my own game seeing as how some of the same people might be interested.

So, (poking head in), please check this game announcement link. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34619-Halloween-One-Shot-for-DCC-RPG If you have already seen it, please check again, because I have opened up the time slot for negotiation for both time and day.

This has been an important announcement from our sponsor. Now, back to the show. Take it away Leo.

leozelig
October 25th, 2016, 23:54
Go right ahead! I don't know if I will be around, but if I am, I would definitely like to join you for that one.

Tanarion
October 27th, 2016, 14:52
Ok I PM'd you with my gmail info and I've loaded the fg software. I'm not seeing a rule set for DCC does it use the 3.5 rule set?

vodokar
October 27th, 2016, 18:08
i created 2 characters last night. One is for me, a Dwarven Priest, and the other is for my son if he plays, a Dwarf, brother of the Dwarven Priest.

Wasn't sure what parameters we had to work with, but I assumed we could afford chainmail and shield for armour, our choice of a couple mundane weapons, and some basic equipment. That can always be changed if we need.

vodokar
October 27th, 2016, 18:25
Posted by Tanarion:
"Ok I PM'd you with my gmail info and I've loaded the fg software. I'm not seeing a rule set for DCC does it use the 3.5 rule set?"

I'm pretty sure that when you log in to leozelig's server, FG will automatically download the ruleset to your machine to play in someone elses game.

However if you want to permanently install it on your machine so that it appears as an option to create your own campaigns, you can get it here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?24890-DCC-RPG-Ruleset&highlight=dungeon+crawl+classics.

Trenloe
October 27th, 2016, 19:44
I'm pretty sure that when you log in to leozelig's server, FG will automatically download the ruleset to your machine to play in someone elses game.
Correct.

Tanarion
October 27th, 2016, 21:46
I have not finished watching all of your dcc youtube videos, but will finish them tonight. One question are we supposed to have our characters prebuilt before we start? It seems that we need the books for certain things. If you have one I'll take a pre built character to speed things along.

Tanarion
October 27th, 2016, 21:56
So I used the website you mentioned and randomly rolled a warrior 3d6 hp normal. It gave me the profession of armorer but no armor 8). So how do I upload this toon? Still need to add a language. It rolled a decent toon

vodokar
October 27th, 2016, 22:17
From the core rules, standard classes available are:

Warrior (your standard D&D fighter)
Cleric
Wizard
Thief
Dwarf (similar to Warrior but has some cool tweaks to it)
Elf (your classic elven fighter/wizard)
and Halfling (rogue type class with two weapon fighting specialty and ability to share good luck with party members).

Also available to build, from supplementary material (specifically Crawl fanzine), assuming leo allows them, are:

Avarian (winged bird creature like an Arakroka from D&D - can specialize as either thief or wizard)
Barbarian
Bard
Dwarven Priest (cleric with some of the features of the standard Dwarf)
Elven Rogue (your classic elven thief/wizard)
Gnome (illusionist)
Halfling Burglar (your classic halfling thief)
Halfling Champion (a halfling that is a warrior)
Monk
Paladin
Ranger (classic ranger that specializes in either two weapon fighting or archery)

If Leo is busy, I could build what you want if his server is up.

leozelig
October 28th, 2016, 01:00
i created 2 characters last night. One is for me, a Dwarven Priest, and the other is for my son if he plays, a Dwarf, brother of the Dwarven Priest.

Wasn't sure what parameters we had to work with, but I assumed we could afford chainmail and shield for armour, our choice of a couple mundane weapons, and some basic equipment. That can always be changed if we need.

Cool with me. I should probably post something on the Event page regarding equipment, but what you did is perfect.

leozelig
October 28th, 2016, 01:10
I have not finished watching all of your dcc youtube videos, but will finish them tonight. One question are we supposed to have our characters prebuilt before we start? It seems that we need the books for certain things. If you have one I'll take a pre built character to speed things along.

We have quite a large group barring any last-minute schedule conflicts, so creating a character ahead of time is a good idea. If you are playing with the demo license, you will have to connect to the server to create your character. This will be available tonight and tomorrow before the game.

I created a module with all of the rules that you can access while connected to the server. You need to activate the modules in the library - more information here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Library). Go ahead and give your armorer some scale mail and a shield if you want it. You can choose a couple of weapons and some basic adventuring equipment.

leozelig
October 28th, 2016, 01:17
Ok I PM'd you with my gmail info and I've loaded the fg software. I'm not seeing a rule set for DCC does it use the 3.5 rule set?

I will send you an invite to the Hangout, so check your email and respond 'Yes' if you can make it.

Does anyone know if there is a maximum number of players? We are up to 10-11 now. My upload speed is 9.48 Mbps, download speed 44.95 Mbps if that matters...

vodokar
October 28th, 2016, 02:26
My experience has been that the number of players doesn't matter so much.

What really does seem to matter is if you have loads of tables that are shared to players, especially if they are nested. Even playing with just myself and my son on our lan, it will bring a client machine to it's knees begging for mercy. I have learned the hard way to either do without sharing tables or make as many of them simply as story entries rather than rollable tables as I can. Vastly improves stability of FG.

As example:

Tanarion
October 28th, 2016, 05:48
Maybe I'm missing something but dont I need the name of the server t join. Did you post it somewhere and I missed it?

vodokar
October 28th, 2016, 08:33
dashing grave undead turtle

leozelig
October 28th, 2016, 12:08
Maybe I'm missing something but dont I need the name of the server t join. Did you post it somewhere and I missed it?

It's also posted on the event page, but buried at the bottom probably.

leozelig
October 28th, 2016, 12:11
My experience has been that the number of players doesn't matter so much.

What really does seem to matter is if you have loads of tables that are shared to players, especially if they are nested. Even playing with just myself and my son on our lan, it will bring a client machine to it's knees begging for mercy. I have learned the hard way to either do without sharing tables or make as many of them simply as story entries rather than rollable tables as I can. Vastly improves stability of FG.

As example:

That's a cool idea. I don't have any rollable tables. The tables in my modules are all just text, but that's good to know. I did make a couple for random encounters, etc, but nothing I plan on sharing.

Trenloe
October 28th, 2016, 17:52
What really does seem to matter is if you have loads of tables that are shared to players, especially if they are nested. Even playing with just myself and my son on our lan, it will bring a client machine to it's knees begging for mercy.
Interesting, I've never heard of that. Does it cause the issue when the tables are inititally shared or when the tables are rolled? If when they are shared - how are they shared - One-by-one by the GM or as part of a shared module?

vodokar
October 28th, 2016, 18:00
That's a cool idea. I don't have any rollable tables. The tables in my modules are all just text, but that's good to know. I did make a couple for random encounters, etc, but nothing I plan on sharing.

Thankyou. I have put an incredible amount of work into getting the data for DCC manually input into FG. I have been inputting every single table in the book, as well as some of the stuff from the zines, and organizing information etc. I've spent about 4 hours each day for the past month prepping things. Sooooo much work, but it all pays off at the table. I probably do a lot more prep than most GM's do, but it's just part of my process, because I feel disorganized, hesitant, and scatterbrained if I don't have the data neatly organized for easy access when running a game.

braincabin
October 30th, 2016, 01:30
Hi all,

Any further DCC games planned for this Halloween weekend?

vodokar
October 30th, 2016, 01:44
Interesting, I've never heard of that. Does it cause the issue when the tables are inititally shared or when the tables are rolled? If when they are shared - how are they shared - One-by-one by the GM or as part of a shared module?

To put things into perspective, Trenloe, I am talking a lot of tables and many nested multiple layers deep.

I first encountered this in the 4e ruleset years ago, when I got the idea to make rollable nested treasure tables and share to my players so they could randomly determine their own loot. They were preshared one by one without players connected. After connecting with me, the players started experiencing stability issues that they had not had previously. It continued to happen every time they connected to me. This includes from my other machine inside my lan and not just over the internet. At the time, I didn't really know that the tables was what was causing the issue.

When I switched to 5e, that didn't have all of those tables, all stability issues went away.

Then, I started building my DCC campaign. The game is packed full of tables, hundreds of them. Worse than Rollmaster, in that regard. I entered hundreds of tables and shared them. At this point, it was just my son playing on my lan. I was building out the campaign a little more each week and each time we started, we started having problems more and more, with his client hanging up, stuttering and sometimes just quitting unexpectedly. It got to the point where one night, it quit every 5 min.

I sat down and thought about all that. I unshared all of the tables. Tested. Stability problems solved. Then, I went about the slow process of converting all that data in the rollable tables into story entries.

Oh, and btw, these rollable tables never cause my server issues, nor when i'm connected as a client by localhost. Only over lan or internet with the clients.