PDA

View Full Version : Create Modules - Module doesn't show up

Harkenn
October 19th, 2016, 21:13
I entered into FG a bunch of item entries from a compendium I have, then exported it as a mod so that I could easily load and unload it.

I was able to load the new module up, so I removed the item entries that I created; now when I go to load up the module, it is in the modules folder but doesn't show up as a module that i can load.

Not sure if I had done something incorrect or what was going on. Any assistance?

Trenloe
October 19th, 2016, 21:18
- Restart FG.
- Make sure that you're loading a ruleset that the module was created for (the same ruleset which exported it).

Also - don't test a module in the campaign where you created it. Keep that campaign as a master copy of the module data. Loading up the same data from a module into a campaign that has the same data just doesn't make any sense and it doesn't allow you to test it properly.

Harkenn
October 19th, 2016, 21:18
What happens if I delete the data out of the original campaign? That shouldn't affect anything that I exported to the module, should it?

Trenloe
October 19th, 2016, 21:19
What happens if I delete the data out of the original campaign? That shouldn't affect anything that I exported to the module, should it?
No.

Harkenn
October 19th, 2016, 21:20
Does the module not showing up at all seem unusual? I'm in the process of creating a new campaign to test it, as you suggested

Trenloe
October 19th, 2016, 21:22
Does the module not showing up at all seem unusual? I'm in the process of creating a new campaign to test it, as you suggested
It's not unusual if you haven't restarted FG so it re-reads the modules in the <FG App Data>\modules directory. Or if you haven't activated it in Library -> Module Activation.

Trenloe
October 19th, 2016, 21:24
Or if the exported module got corrupt. You're not auto synching your FG app data to a cloud sync application (Box, Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, etc.) are you?

Harkenn
October 19th, 2016, 21:27
No but I think I might have tried to overwrite the mod file with another copy of the mod file while the mod file was already loaded. Looks corrupt, it doesn't even show up on the module list (where you go to load modules) anymore; and I've reloaded FG several times now.

Edit: is there anyway to recover the work I put into this .mod file?

Trenloe
October 19th, 2016, 21:28
Attach the module file , or a link to the module file (or PM me a link if it's copyright info) and I'll see if I can rescue as much data as I can for you.

Harkenn
October 19th, 2016, 21:31
I googled and found a FG thread that explained that .mod are just zip files. I opened it up and there is only an xml with the author info and the icon (which I updated), but nothing else...looks like its not corrupt, but I overwrote the exported module file with an empty one. FG may be detecting that its empty and doesn't even show it.

Trenloe
October 19th, 2016, 21:33
Did you export without selecting any of the data records to export? i.e. didn't select Story, Maps, etc. in the export window? No data records are selected by default.

Harkenn
October 19th, 2016, 21:37
I had picked Items, but because I had already deleted the original item entries that I had used to originally export, I don't think it exported anything.

You can't load a module and then re-export that module's stuff, right?

Zacchaeus
October 19th, 2016, 21:42
If you open the module and then make local copies of the entries you can re-export.

Harkenn
October 19th, 2016, 21:47
How do you copy items from inside fg? I tried several ways but couldn't find any way to do it

Trenloe
October 19th, 2016, 21:53
How do you copy items from inside fg? I tried several ways but couldn't find any way to do it
Usually a quick drag/drop of the data link makes a copy of the module data record in the campaign.

I had picked Items, but because I had already deleted the original item entries that I had used to originally export, I don't think it exported anything.
Yeah, if you'd deleted all the campaign data and then ran the same export it would have created a blank module as there was no data to export - overwriting your previous module.

Harkenn
October 19th, 2016, 21:58
For future reference where do I drag those item entries, into a story entry? I'm not at my computer at the moment so I can't try it

Zacchaeus
October 19th, 2016, 22:00
If they are items drag into the items dialog, if they are stories drag to stories etc.

Harkenn
October 19th, 2016, 22:02
When I was creating the items the first time, I needed to duplicate an item and I tried to drag and drop it but it didn't work. Not sure what I was doing wrong.

Moon Wizard
October 19th, 2016, 22:42
To duplicate an item, you need to open the detail record for the item, then drag the link from the detail record onto the campaign list. You can not drag from the campaign list back onto the campaign list, because that has been specifically disabled to avoid accidentally duplicating items.

Regards,
JPG

Harkenn
October 19th, 2016, 23:01
Is there any way to turn that on, at least temporarily, to ease in the creation of similar items?

Moon Wizard
October 19th, 2016, 23:10
No, it's too easy to make mistakes for the average GM. It's just one extra click to open the detail record, and drag the link from the upper left corner.

Regards,
JPG

LordEntrails
October 19th, 2016, 23:34
Go read the Adventure Module Creation Best Practices. (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33538-Adventure-Module-Creation-Best-Practices) Read the initial post AND download the Word file and read it too.

You will save yourself time and headaches.

Zacchaeus
October 20th, 2016, 15:31
Is there any way to turn that on, at least temporarily, to ease in the creation of similar items?

I think you may be misunderstanding what we are saying here.

You create items by clicking on the big 'Items' button on the menu down the right hand side. Once you have created an item you can create a duplicate of that item by dragging it slightly and dropping it back down in the same window. You can then do so again and again if you want to create multiple similar items where there are only minor changes in the detail of the item. Each copy you create can be edited.

What you cannot do is duplicate items in the Items window which opens up when you click on the items in the Library (right hand pane). You can however drag items from Library items to the items window that opens when you click the items button down the right hand side. Does that make sense?

Trenloe
October 20th, 2016, 15:34
You can not drag from the campaign list back onto the campaign list, because that has been specifically disabled to avoid accidentally duplicating items.
@JPG - I'm not seeing this restriction. I *can* drag/drop within campaign lists. e.g. 5E ruleset: story, NPC, items, etc..

Zacchaeus
October 20th, 2016, 15:41
@JPG - I'm not seeing this restriction. I *can* drag/drop within campaign lists. e.g. 5E ruleset: story, NPC, items, etc..

I read this as meaning the Library list rather than the campaign list. Of course I could be calling things by the wrong name.

Trenloe
October 20th, 2016, 15:46
I read this as meaning the Library list rather than the campaign list. Of course I could be calling things by the wrong name.
I'm reading it as JPG said it, I'm not thinking he meant library at all: "You can not drag from the campaign list back onto the campaign list".

If you read the whole comment by JPG: "To duplicate an item, you need to open the detail record for the item, then drag the link from the detail record onto the campaign list. You can not drag from the campaign list back onto the campaign list, because that has been specifically disabled to avoid accidentally duplicating items."

No mention of library entries here.

I was asking JPG to clarify though, as the duplicating functionality directly in the campaign list doesn't appear to be disabled as he mentioned.

Harkenn
October 20th, 2016, 15:47
After everyone' suggestions, I was indeed able to find a way to copy items, thanks.