PDA

View Full Version : Spell lists for 5e NPCs

dmkevin
October 19th, 2016, 21:01
I just found this youtube video by Doug. I know it's not new but I never heard of the auto population of spells available for npc character sheets. This really opens things up for dms. I wish I knew of it previously. I had just finished my conversion of A-1 Slave Pits of the Undercity. I had given up on having the evil cleric and his spell use, and was going to substitute a more powerful orc type npc, but now I'm going to go back and use this facility.

You first add "spellcasting" as a trait on the npc.

Then type in the format below in the box below Traits:
Spellcasting ability in intelligence (spell save DC 15, +7 to hit with spell attacks).

Cantrips (at will): fire bolt, acid splash, poison spray

1st level: burning hands, chromatic orb, magic missile, Detect Life

2nd level: cloud of daggers, darkness, Air Forge

3rd level: fireball, Blinding Ash

It won't work if there are spelling or formatting errors.

Then the spells you entered populate the spell list of the npc. You can pop the npc in the combat tracker and target and drop damage etc. with the npc's character listing. This works with what spell libraries you have. I used it with spells from both the PHB and Necromancer's Book of Lost Spells.

I have pasted an image showing where the text has to be typed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uOdhB2GDoU

Great job Doug!!!

Trenloe
October 19th, 2016, 21:05
Yeah, it's a very nice piece of functionality. The key is to not have any "spells" entries when you add the "spellcasting" trait, then close the NPC and open it back up and the spells will be populated.

Gwydion
October 19th, 2016, 21:30
Yeah, it's a very nice piece of functionality. The key is to not have any "spells" entries when you add the "spellcasting" trait, then close the NPC and open it back up and the spells will be populated.

Yes, it is very cool. I found it after I did a conversion a while ago, but am using it a lot not. Very cool.

LordEntrails
October 19th, 2016, 23:47
Yep, this is documented here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33538-Adventure-Module-Creation-Best-Practices

kp9911
October 20th, 2016, 16:29
You could use the parser I have made for NPC's it gives a descent UI with everything quite clear cut. All you need to do is type in the information and the application will take care of all the formatting required.

dmkevin
October 20th, 2016, 21:58
Hi kp9911,

Where can I find your parser?

Thanks,

dm-kevin

LordEntrails
October 20th, 2016, 22:06
Hi kp9911,

Where can I find your parser?

Thanks,

dm-kevin