PDA

View Full Version : The Ranger Revised

bnickelsen
October 19th, 2016, 16:38
Has the revised Ranger info made it into Fantasy grounds?

Zacchaeus
October 19th, 2016, 18:06
Not unless it's on the DMsGuild

LordEntrails
October 19th, 2016, 19:16
Remember, Unearthed Arcana is not "canon". It's from WotC, but it's not part of the official ruleset.

My understanding is that at this point, SW only has license to release official "stuff". As for someone making an FG module and relasing it on the DMsG, since the UA stuff is still copyrighted, my understanding is someone can't distribute it on the DMsG. I could be wrong about that part though. Maybe someone has already asked OBS/WotC though and knows if that thought it right or wrong though.

kp9911
October 20th, 2016, 06:58
The only option I can see for now is that you parse this class yourself, since its copyright material.

bnickelsen
October 20th, 2016, 15:21
Remember, Unearthed Arcana is not "canon". It's from WotC, but it's not part of the official ruleset.

My understanding is that at this point, SW only has license to release official "stuff". As for someone making an FG module and relasing it on the DMsG, since the UA stuff is still copyrighted, my understanding is someone can't distribute it on the DMsG. I could be wrong about that part though. Maybe someone has already asked OBS/WotC though and knows if that thought it right or wrong though.

I just assumed that the Unearthed arcana stuff was OGL......

Zacchaeus
October 20th, 2016, 15:33
I just assumed that the Unearthed arcana stuff was OGL......

It can't be OGL unless it's in the SRD. And since nothing from Unearthed Arcana is in that it isn't OGL.

Trenloe
October 20th, 2016, 16:05
It can't be OGL unless it's in the SRD. And since nothing from Unearthed Arcana is in that it isn't OGL.
That's a slightly misleading statement. OGL material doesn't have to be in the SRD. OGL material is released under the OGL, and includes the OGL statement within the product material - that's what makes it OGL. The SRD is released under the OGL, not the other way around.

However, you're correct about Unearthed Arcana articles not being released under the OGL.

bnickelsen
October 21st, 2016, 04:42
That's a slightly misleading statement. OGL material doesn't have to be in the SRD. OGL material is released under the OGL, and includes the OGL statement within the product material - that's what makes it OGL. The SRD is released under the OGL, not the other way around.

However, you're correct about Unearthed Arcana articles not being released under the OGL.

Seems silly on their part to release content meant to correct issues with core material that is included in the OGL, but we are talking WOC. No big deal I was not all that convinced the ranger needed changes anyways. :)

LordEntrails
October 21st, 2016, 15:57
Seems silly on their part to release content meant to correct issues with core material that is included in the OGL, but we are talking WOC. No big deal I was not all that convinced the ranger needed changes anyways. :)
Errata is for correcting issues (which gets incorporated into FG). UA is for beta testing :) Even if its beta testing of things that are considered "broken" by the community.

I like the idea of releasing UA under the OGL, but if they did that, then if they publish something from the UA they could never retract the OGL for what they had previously released. Then you might get two versions of things like the revised ranger :(

bnickelsen
October 22nd, 2016, 00:33
Errata is for correcting issues (which gets incorporated into FG). UA is for beta testing :) Even if its beta testing of things that are considered "broken" by the community.

I like the idea of releasing UA under the OGL, but if they did that, then if they publish something from the UA they could never retract the OGL for what they had previously released. Then you might get two versions of things like the revised ranger :(

My Bad

LordEntrails
October 22nd, 2016, 00:44
Not really. Hope I didn't come across.... negatively. I wish WotC would allow people to do more with their IP, but I understand why they don't :)

Myrdin Potter
October 22nd, 2016, 22:58
It may be that Smiteworks could do this, but they are buried under 3.2 and Volo right now.

bnickelsen
October 22nd, 2016, 23:54
After going back and looking I don't think the UA Ranger is fully ready to go.

Myrdin Potter
October 23rd, 2016, 15:49
It is fun to play. The ranger in my campain that I run switched over (beast master) and she really likes the new rules.