PDA

View Full Version : Auto-apply Range modifiers

Dr0W
October 19th, 2016, 08:27
So... I was playing with the SW code learning to add my own code and I stumbled upon this piece of code that auto adds range modifiers, I quickly added a code to enable this feature on Options and... it worked.
The code is there but it isn't on Options by default, I even did some testing (very little testing actually), and it does seem to work without a problem. If I'm in short range the TN is 4, 6 for Medium and 8 for Long Range.

My only question is... Why isn't it available without having to input code in the ruleset to make it available? This has been one of my most wet dreams features on Fantasy Grounds.

Ikael
October 19th, 2016, 16:41
So... I was playing with the SW code learning to add my own code and I stumbled upon this piece of code that auto adds range modifiers, I quickly added a code to enable this feature on Options and... it worked.
The code is there but it isn't on Options by default, I even did some testing (very little testing actually), and it does seem to work without a problem. If I'm in short range the TN is 4, 6 for Medium and 8 for Long Range.

My only question is... Why isn't it available without having to input code in the ruleset to make it available? This has been one of my most wet dreams features on Fantasy Grounds.

I implemented this feature several months ago and passed it to SavageWorlds ruleset's developer. During that time v3.2 got into big tracks and this feature might got lost/forgotten in the process. I provided the option code for this but seems it's not included in for some reason. You might want to ping phantomwhale regarding it, good finding you

Dr0W
October 19th, 2016, 17:28
Seriously? In my humble opinion this one of the most important features in SW since defeated markers. I wish other rulesets had this. How could something this cool could be forgotten? Thanks a lot, now I won't need to check for ranges everytime and so won't my players too, really this is awesome.

I made a simple extension to add the feature to anyone who interests on this, the extension simply registers it in the Options window, you still have to go there and turn "Auto-apply Range modifiers" on. The feature was already included on the ruleset and was implemented by Ikael, I had nothing on this.

If I wasn't clear enough, this option will auto apply penalties to ranged attacks based on the distance of the target and the used weapon Range.

EDIT: This extension is not needed anymore, you don't need this just update your SW.

Ikael
October 19th, 2016, 19:40
Thanks for the extension. The "auto-apply range modifiers" was implemented and commited half year ago and according to SavageWorlds ruleset version history its option was removed from the code when it was merged into CoreRPG v3.2 codes, maybe by mistake. I made change request to return it to core ruleset, hopefully it can appear before live release

Dr0W
October 19th, 2016, 20:13
Thanks for the extension. The "auto-apply range modifiers" was implemented and commited half year ago and according to SavageWorlds ruleset version history its option was removed from the code when it was merged into CoreRPG v3.2 codes, maybe by mistake. I made change request to return it to core ruleset, hopefully it can appear before live release

No, thank you!

Actually, I was playing with it a bit and noticed that the distance measure function returns nDistance = nDiagonals * 1.5 + nStraights, so the distance counts diagonals as if they were 1.5 spaces. It really seems like the system doesn't work properly because SW uses diagonals = 1 space and we don't have the option to change it as we have in 5e. ruleset.

I think it is worth to mention it when they add the feature back to the ruleset.

Moon Wizard
October 19th, 2016, 22:49
Actually, it depends. Since there is no "official" rules on how tactical gridded movement should work, it's actually up to the GM. It would probably have to be another option.

And 1.5 is actually closer to the actual ~1.4 of distance traveled when traversing diagonally.

Regards,
JPG

Trenloe
October 19th, 2016, 22:58
Actually, it depends. Since there is no "official" rules on how tactical gridded movement should work, it's actually up to the GM. It would probably have to be another option.

And 1.5 is actually closer to the actual ~1.4 of distance traveled when traversing diagonally.
Yeah, the Savage Worlds rules have everything ranges, movement etc. in inches - there's no mention of counting diagonals as 1 when using a grid.

Page 73 of the deluxe explorer's edition states: "Weapon ranges, character and vehicle movement rates, and even the templates are all based on using figures on a table-top. That’s why they’re measured in inches rather than yards, miles-per-hour, and so on."

So, diagonal measurements should be as close as possible to real-world - which is what you say JPG, approx. 1.4 or rounded to 1.5.

Dr0W
October 19th, 2016, 23:37
That's not exactly what I meant. I meant that movement measuring in the sw ruleset isn't using 1.5 diagonals while the auto add range penalties does. So a player with a bow might be targeting someone at 12 squares and should get no penalties, but the function is using 1.5 diagonals and applying a -2 penalty rendering the player confused.

It doesn't really matter which rule variant one use, but both (movement and targeting) should abide to the same rules.

As for savage worlds actual rules what blew my mind is that sw does NOT use square or hexagonal for movement. It uses a free form movement system, that's the reason I've been trying to use measurement rulers on fantasy grounds without having a square or hexagon there since forever :(

Moon Wizard
October 19th, 2016, 23:47
Ahh, now that is something that I can look into and patch in v3.2. I'll update to use 1.5 distance.

Regards,
JPG

Ikael
October 24th, 2016, 18:52
This new version of SavageWorlds ruleset contains following updates:

New option: "Auto-apply Range modifiers" -- When enabled ranged attack's range (short, medium, long) is taken account when making attack roll

Teotimus
October 26th, 2016, 21:42
I am sorry to intrude in this thread with a semi off-topic, but I've been waiting for a long time for this feature to be included. However, I'm unable to update to 4.3, I'm stuck in 4.2.5 and the updater can't find any newer version.

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong... Is this still in test? Any help will be appreciated, thanks in advance!

Moon Wizard
October 26th, 2016, 21:47
This version is only available in the Test channel for beta testing currently. You can switch channels by selecting a different mode in the FG Settings and updating.

Regards,
JPG

Teotimus
October 26th, 2016, 21:49
Oh, that explains everything. Thanks for the quick reply!

Skellan
November 2nd, 2016, 01:27
This feature is really great - thanks for this

dstuffle
November 3rd, 2016, 20:38
Is there a way to have this check if range < 1 then use target's Parry as target number? I know that you can switch between the parry target number and the standard 4 target number, but would be nice if it was automatic based on range.

Trenloe
November 4th, 2016, 05:31
Is there a way to have this check if range < 1 then use target's Parry as target number? I know that you can switch between the parry target number and the standard 4 target number, but would be nice if it was automatic based on range.
What happens if you shoot someone when you're standing right next to them? I wasn't aware that doing this resulted in the ranged attack being against parry and not the usual TN of 4. Is that so?

Dr0W
November 4th, 2016, 10:39
What happens if you shoot someone when you're standing right next to them? I wasn't aware that doing this resulted in the ranged attack being against parry and not the usual TN of 4. Is that so?

You can't shoot someone that is right next to you, unless you're using a pistol to do it. But if you can do it (by using a small weapon) you do roll against parry and not 4. So yea, the only reason we had an option to manually do it was because we didn't have a way to check for range. That was indeed a nice one to spot this and it's probably easy to implement.

Skellan
November 4th, 2016, 11:52
Yes, this would be a wonderful feature to implement if possible. Attacking against parry is a bit fiddly.

Ikael
November 4th, 2016, 19:09
This would be very easy to implement. Could you ping Phantomwhale regarding this and maybe create ticket to SavageWorlds wishlist?

phantomwhale
November 7th, 2016, 11:26
Pinged and noted !

Suspect I will be cleaning up a lot of little surprises and missing art from the 3.2 release for a little while though, so whilst I have it on my (long) list of cool things to do, I also am very happy to accept code patches from anyone keen to give it a go themselves :)

Cheers,
Ben (- PW -)