PDA

View Full Version : Mixed Up Character Data?

Belgaleen
October 17th, 2016, 21:18
Hello,

I'm new to FG and everything involved so I'm hoping I'm just ignorant and misunderstand how this is supposed to work.

So I literally found FG a couple of weeks ago and I played my first couple of AL games. The little bits that I managed to glean for AL and FG are:

1-I need to have documentation in as many places as possible, AL Tools, PDF, FG, etc. which is fine.
2-I learned that I need to keep better notes, etc.

So what I was trying to do was "rebuild" a character with cleaner notes, etc. but it looks like I'm getting mixed up data.

In manage characters (which I understand to my local machine)
I start with the character I was playing. Call her Analee.
I bring up the Half-Elf Bard from WOTC or the FB that I found that was the original template still called Half-Elf Bard.
I copy/drag/re-type all of my notes/logs, inventory and from Analee to Half-Elf Bard.
I now delete Analee.
I now finish off by changing the name of Half-Elf Bard -> Analee
Well, I'm still seeing mixed up information. Mixed up information as in inventory stuff that was probably from another version of Analee or the previous one where I was trying to clean out the data.

So my questions:

1-What is the proper way to rebuild a clean character with all of my notes? AL doesn't allow me to rename the characters and I'm not sure how FG merges or confuses the data for me.
2-Is this a reasonable way to do it? Am I doing something fundamentally wrong?

Thanks!

Trenloe
October 17th, 2016, 22:01
Sounds like an issue with the FG in memory database getting confused with two sets of data with the same name.

I'd recommend that within a session of Manage Characters you don't use the same character name - e.g. build the new character as "Analee v2" or something. The name that FG is the PC label, I'm sure it's not an issue with AL as long as the base character name is first, and prefixes are obviously version tracking.

It might also be related to this issue (which is fixed in v3.2 - released sometime soon) but you would have seen the issue when you created the new character not after: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33984-Manage-Characters

Trenloe
October 17th, 2016, 22:02
And welcome to the FG forums! :)

Belgaleen
October 17th, 2016, 22:40
Sounds like an issue with the FG in memory database getting confused with two sets of data with the same name.

I'd recommend that within a session of Manage Characters you don't use the same character name - e.g. build the new character as "Analee v2" or something. The name that FG is the PC label, I'm sure it's not an issue with AL as long as the base character name is first, and prefixes are obviously version tracking.

It might also be related to this issue (which is fixed in v3.2 - released sometime soon) but you would have seen the issue when you created the new character not after: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33984-Manage-Characters

Thanks for the welcome!

So when you mention "with a session" I dont use the same character name. Would a valid workaround have been for me to copy everything, delete Analee. Exit FG completely, THEN come back and rename Half Elf Bard to Analee?

The issue you've mentioned I may have seen as well where it overwrote or duplicated stuff and I may have tripped upon it unknowingly in other scenarios as well since it sounds vaguely familar now but didn't realize it.

Trenloe
October 17th, 2016, 22:57
So when you mention "with a session" I dont use the same character name. Would a valid workaround have been for me to copy everything, delete Analee. Exit FG completely, THEN come back and rename Half Elf Bard to Analee?
Yep. :)

I hope that would work around the issue anyway...

damned
October 18th, 2016, 09:39
Also - I would try to drag stuff from teh source books into A2 rather than from A1 to A2.

Belgaleen
October 18th, 2016, 11:19
Also - I would try to drag stuff from teh source books into A2 rather than from A1 to A2.

Unfortunately, these are story awards/log stuff that I didn't purchase. So I assume I do not have the source.

Is there a way to actually copy/paste stuff to/from FG like into my OneNote notes? I haven't been able to figure out how to do that. If I could copy it to my normal notes, might be easier to rebuild my logs.

The other area where I guess I'm tripping it up is because I'm new to all of this, FG, AL and 5e. I'm allowed to "rebuild" the character before it hits level 5 so alot of the data is all manual drops anyway so it seems like it would be easier to start a new one and repeat the process. Maybe y'all need some sort of "undo" where if I replace one background for another, you also take the associated equipment, skills and features from the other one prior to adding. For example, I changed from Elf to Half-Elf, it should have taken away the Elf only skills but it didn't. Just added it again. Or at least thats where I think I got duplicate Fey Ancestry stuff.

Trenloe
October 18th, 2016, 18:48
Is there a way to actually copy/paste stuff to/from FG like into my OneNote notes? I haven't been able to figure out how to do that. If I could copy it to my normal notes, might be easier to rebuild my logs.
Some of the entries will allow copying - highlight in FG and use CTRL+C.

Zacchaeus
October 18th, 2016, 21:49
The other area where I guess I'm tripping it up is because I'm new to all of this, FG, AL and 5e. I'm allowed to "rebuild" the character before it hits level 5 so alot of the data is all manual drops anyway so it seems like it would be easier to start a new one and repeat the process. Maybe y'all need some sort of "undo" where if I replace one background for another, you also take the associated equipment, skills and features from the other one prior to adding. For example, I changed from Elf to Half-Elf, it should have taken away the Elf only skills but it didn't. Just added it again. Or at least thats where I think I got duplicate Fey Ancestry stuff.

There is no undo button and so if you do something like change your race or class then whatever you add will be added to existing date and you'll have to manually delete the stuff you no longer have. If you want to change something like that then it would be better to start afresh and that way you won't be getting too many lines crossed.

Belgaleen
December 10th, 2016, 14:16
I am on 3.2.1 and I am STILL having problems with mixed up data. I have tried to NOT to import or export characters that I have.

When I export a character to a file.
I delete the character.
I close FG.
I open FG.
I import the character.

Character has mixed up data.

What EXACTLY is the right way to import/export characters?

This is VERY frustrating.

Trenloe
December 10th, 2016, 15:26
Please attach a copy of an XML you use that has issues. And give info of the data that gets mixed up so we can test and check the data. Thanks.

Zacchaeus
December 10th, 2016, 15:30
So just to get this straight. You are in manage characters and you create a character. You don't chop and change anything about this character and you don't edit a character that has the same name. You create a straight character with absolutely no edits and then export it.

You then close the character manager and open up a new campaign without any extensions and you import the character into it and somehow it's mixed up? The question is mixed up with what if you created a clean character in the first place.

Belgaleen
December 10th, 2016, 15:59
To be clear.

I have a character, today it was a Paladin 3 named Hope. It's NEVER been anything except a Paladin.

I deleted the file out of FG.
I restarted FG.
I imported Hope.

Open up the character, it showed Paladin 2/Sorcerer 1. It had sorcerer stuff in there as well.

Every time this happens I've had to delete the character and rebuild them from the ground up as in.

How do I attach files?

So no, I don't have a XML right now that I'm aware of with the problem, but this has been plaguing me for quite some time now. So I'll ask again, what is the PROPER procedure for getting characters into and out of games?

I have a LOCAL copy that I created the character. I UPLOAD it to the game. I PLAY the game.
How do I get it out of the campaign and into my local copy without problems?

The way I was shown and seemed to told is exit back to the main menu, select their campaign, export the character to a new file. Don't overwrite the file, don't even look at it the wrong way.
Delete my local copy.
Restart FG
Import the copy

Attached is the file I just rebuilt and the old file that had garbage.

Zacchaeus
December 10th, 2016, 16:33
I don't necessarily think the problem is with the import or export function.

However your files were not attached to your post
(To attach files click on 'Go Advanced' and then manage attachments and use the browse and upload to attach the files)

Belgaleen
December 10th, 2016, 16:36
Sorry, files attached. L2-v002 is the old one that looks like it got sorcerer stuff. L3-v001 is the one I just rebuilt from scratch.

Zacchaeus
December 10th, 2016, 18:00
I don't think Trenloe is looking for the XML of the characters but rather the xml of the campaign that you used to create them. I could be wrong of course but the character xml will only show what you are seeing which is that the PaladinL3 file does indeed include a level of sorcerer. What we need to establish is how it got there and I don't think the character xml will tell us that.

So the file that's needed is I think in FG's data folder under 'campaigns' and within that will be a folder with the campaign name that you used to create the character and within that will be a folder called moduledb. Zip up that entire folder and post it here.

Belgaleen
December 10th, 2016, 18:15
I'm still not sure what you are looking for in this scenario.

From the FG main page. I select Manage Characters and select the 5E ruleset and then Start. I use the DND source books. That's it, there's no campaign locally really that I'm using. I play in other people's campaigns.

The folder that you are referring to when zipped is 8MB and is too large to attach.

Zacchaeus
December 10th, 2016, 18:29
Ok, let's wait for Trenloe to expand on his request.

I don't know enough about the Manage character thing to expound on it since I create characters in FG itself. Doing it that way you need to create a campaign and the data for the characters will be stored in the moduledb folder. Not sure how it's done in the Manage Characters if you don't select a campaign before loading in your character.

Just in passing do you use any kind of online cloud backup such as Dropbox etc to backup your data folders?

Belgaleen
December 10th, 2016, 18:38
I've created a campaign but I don't use it other than looking around. I was under the impression you were supposed to use "Manage" characters for DDAL otherwise you can't move them around.

I do use Dropbox for the XML file storage so I can always get to the files remotely, etc.

This is specifically because of AL games that I play in. I need to move the characters in between servers, etc.

Zacchaeus
December 10th, 2016, 18:58
I've created a campaign but I don't use it other than looking around. I was under the impression you were supposed to use "Manage" characters for DDAL otherwise you can't move them around.

I do use Dropbox for the XML file storage so I can always get to the files remotely, etc.

This is specifically because of AL games that I play in. I need to move the characters in between servers, etc.

Then that might be the cause of your problem. The advice is not to use cloud based back up since inevitably somewhere along the line your FG data files will get out of synch and you will lose data. So it's possible that you have deleted something in FG and then Dropbox has resynched it back to an older version which you have then used to change something and that has ended up with mixed up characters.

As I said I don't know enough about the manage characters bit of FG but absolutely don't use cloud back up.

Belgaleen
December 10th, 2016, 19:15
I might believe that theory on Dropbox *IF* we were talking about OLD data being brought back. Hope has NEVER been a sorcerer so unless Dropbox magically knows how to write XML data indicating Hope is a sorcerer in FG I'm finding that a bit hard to understand.

It is ALSO the reason I never use the same name for the files. Everytime I write to Dropbox, I use a new filename/version. I change the Level and then the version of that character. There should NEVER been any sync issues.

ETA: It's not just the class, but mixed up log entries, inventories, etc.

Zacchaeus
December 10th, 2016, 20:13
You are missing the point. Dropbox doesn't need to know how to write XML it will simply look at a file and see that it's been changed and change the bits back to what they were. It might therefore only overwrite a few lines of a file not the whole file. And if it happens that line 35 in that file says that this is a sorcerer then a sorcerer it becomes.

Belgaleen
December 10th, 2016, 20:57
You are missing the point, it NEVER overwrites it.

I create a character.
I call it Hope-L1-v001.
I make a change, I call it Hope-L1-v002.
I upload it to a game.
I download it from the game.
I call it Hope-L1-v003.

At NO point does it write to the SAME file EVER because the files are all different.

In order for Dropbox to overwrite lines, ADD lines, change lines it needs to know how to do that. Case in point, entire LOG files that I keep for XP, Gold, etc. Inventory, etc.

In that file I sent, it not only changed classes, but it added LOG entries it NEVER had, equipment it NEVER had, etc.

ETA: Those entries are coming from ANOTHER character.

Zacchaeus
December 10th, 2016, 21:11
Ok, we are both probably talking at cross purposes.

My understanding is that you use dropbox to backup your FG data files. By that I assumed you meant all of your FG data files. This will include files from your campaigns and any files which are used by the character manager. It is those files which I am talking about. Those files could get corrupted by synching to dropbox. So when you load up the character manager it will load up possibly corrupt or out of date files and, then, when you export you character from it it will possibly contain corrupt data. Or, when you open up a character in it it will also show incomplete or incorrect information. As I said I'm not an expert in the character manager but I do think part of the problem could well be linking to Dropbox.

Belgaleen
December 10th, 2016, 21:18
Oh gotcha. No, only the character XML files are on Dropbox an they're all unique. I put no other Fantasy Grounds files anywhere except their default location (wherever FG or Steam installs it to).

damned
December 10th, 2016, 22:43
Hey Belgaleen im travelling for a couple of days - if you are still having this issue mid-week feel free to PM me your email address and Ill jump on with you and you can show me the process and we can review it together.

Moon Wizard
December 11th, 2016, 01:12
If the sorcerer levels are in the character XML file, then the issue is already in the character data in Manage Characters. You can try re-exporting the character from the original source, or exporting then re-importing back into Manage Characters and editing for correctness.

It seems unlikely that it is a file synch issue (i.e. DropBox, etc.), which usually truncates the XML.

For character data location:
* Campaign characters are stored on the GM machine in the "<FG Data Folder>/campaigns/<Campaign Name>/db.xml" file
* The character files from a campaign you played in as a player are encrypted, but you can export via the Character Selection screen in Manage Characters.
* The local character files for Manage Characters mode (i.e. editable PCs either imported or created locally, not from campaign) are stored under "<FG Data Folder>/characters/<Ruleset Name>.xml" file

Regards,
JPG

Belgaleen
December 11th, 2016, 01:34
If the sorcerer levels are in the character XML file, then the issue is already in the character data in Manage Characters. You can try re-exporting the character from the original source, or exporting then re-importing back into Manage Characters and editing for correctness.

JPG

If the data is already in Manage Characters then my issue is still unresolved or something else is broken.

Can you explain how to re-export the character from the original source? I don't know if that is possible in my situation.

1-I create a character in Manage Character.
2-I export the character to XML.
3-When I sign up for a DDAL game. I upload that XML.
4-When the game is over, I go back to the GM campaign and do an export of the said character (to a new filename).
5-I import the character from Step #4 (new filename).
6-I delete the one I created in step #1 (old local copy).

I do these steps for all games so it isn't possible (AFAIK) to go back to the original data.

When the Character XML is all screwed up, I wind up deleting everything and go back to Step #1 which is a royal PITA as I have to enter in all of the log information, etc. again and its not only time-consuming but error-prone to mistakes.

damned
December 11th, 2016, 01:38
In Manage Characters you can select the campaign to export/manage your character from.

Belgaleen
December 11th, 2016, 02:50
In Manage Characters you can select the campaign to export/manage your character from.

Ok, thats what I'm doing and I'm still getting merged data at some point and I can't export from a singular campaign since they're all different.

Trenloe
December 11th, 2016, 05:18
@Belgaleen Please ZIP up 5E.xml from <fg app data>\characters and post it here. Let's look at the base manage characters database to see if it is that which is screwed up, or something else.

Please bear with us as we try to work this issue out. The process you're following should work OK, but it's not, so we need to try to track down why. Thanks.

Belgaleen
December 11th, 2016, 15:51
@Belgaleen Please ZIP up 5E.xml from <fg app data>\characters and post it here. Let's look at the base manage characters database to see if it is that which is screwed up, or something else.

Please bear with us as we try to work this issue out. The process you're following should work OK, but it's not, so we need to try to track down why. Thanks.

5E XML attached.

Trenloe
December 11th, 2016, 15:52
That's the 5E directory from \characters. I need the \character\5E.xml file please.

Belgaleen
December 12th, 2016, 00:01
Sorry, attached (I hope)

Trenloe
December 12th, 2016, 00:41
Thanks for passing on the 5E.xml file - this allows me to test against your XML.

1-I create a character in Manage Character.
2-I export the character to XML.
3-When I sign up for a DDAL game. I upload that XML.
4-When the game is over, I go back to the GM campaign and do an export of the said character (to a new filename).
5-I import the character from Step #4 (new filename).
6-I delete the one I created in step #1 (old local copy).
It is actually step 4 that is screwing up the data. For some reason, FG merges the data from the campaign (shown as "server character" in the "Import Local Character" screen) with one of the earlier characters in the base 5E ruleset manage characters - Anastasia overwrites the third character. Any data the campaign character has overwrites the third character data, but keeps any data that isn't present in the campaign character. For another test campaign I did (with four very basic PCs), opening a 5E campaign in Manage Characters merged the server character with the fourth PC in the base 5E data. Weird.

Thanks for providing the info needed.

@JPG - steps to reproduce:
1) Replace your local \characters\5E.xml file with the one attached in post #35 above.
2) Fire up a test 5E campaign.
3) Start a second instance, connect as "localhost" and select "Anastasia" from the local character list. Open the PC and review the "notes" tab - there isn't any data in personality traits, ideals, etc..
4) Exit both instances of FG.
5) Start up FG and use "Manage Characters" and select the test campaign joined in step 3.
6) Select the Anastasia server character. Open the Notes tab - you'll see a lot of data populated there, but some of the original Anastasia data is still there (5th level sorcerer, etc.).

It appears that this server character from the campaign cache is being merged with the third character in the local character list ("Irina Stormwind" in this case) and if you scroll up, the third character is showing this merged record - no longer Irina Stormwind, but Anastasia.

I also tested this in a new 5E manage characters 5E.xml file - I added 4 basic PCs (just a name and a piece of data on the notes tab), and then loaded up manager characters for the test campaign, and Anastasia had been merged with record 3 in this new 5E local character store.

I opened up another test campaign (with a pregen PC from LMoP) and that PC replaced the fourth character in the list.

Something screwy going on here.

@JPG - Hopefully this is enough info to be able to reproduce. Let me know if you need more info.

Belgaleen
December 12th, 2016, 06:05
Thank you for reproducing it!! I was swearing I was doing it right and it was still eating my data! Please let me know if you need any other info, etc.

ETA: If there's ANY workaround for the time being please let me know as well.

Trenloe
December 12th, 2016, 16:38
ETA: If there's ANY workaround for the time being please let me know as well.
It's a bit of a faff, but you could:

Export all of your characters from Manage Characters (the base 5E mode) into XML files - remember where you saved them.
Load up a new 5E campaign "call it "My Characters" or something) and import the character XML.
Once you're happy your chararacters have been loaded OK in the new campaign (step #2), go back into 5E manage characters and delete all of the PCs so there are none left.
Load up Manage Characters but select the campaign you want to get your character data from. Click the brown "/" edit button and click the blue down arrow "Export Character" button for the PC you want to export. Save the XML. Exit Manage Characters.
Load up the "My Characters" campaign and import the character XML you exported in step #4. You can now work on this character.

When you are due to join a game, export the character XML from your "My Characters" campaign and email the XML to the GM ahead of time. Ask them to import it into the game ready for you when you join.

Belgaleen
December 12th, 2016, 18:06
It's a bit of a faff, but you could:

Export all of your characters from Manage Characters (the base 5E mode) into XML files - remember where you saved them.
Load up a new 5E campaign "call it "My Characters" or something) and import the character XML.
Once you're happy your chararacters have been loaded OK in the new campaign (step #2), go back into 5E manage characters and delete all of the PCs so there are none left.
Load up Manage Characters but select the campaign you want to get your character data from. Click the brown "/" edit button and click the blue down arrow "Export Character" button for the PC you want to export. Save the XML. Exit Manage Characters.
Load up the "My Characters" campaign and import the character XML you exported in step #4. You can now work on this character.

When you are due to join a game, export the character XML from your "My Characters" campaign and email the XML to the GM ahead of time. Ask them to import it into the game ready for you when you join.

Ok, I'm not near FG so I'm trying to visualize your steps. Am I understanding that I would work on my characters inside of a personal campaign and as long as its inside the campaign, the character data would be fine? It is simply the "Manage Characters" function that is not working and I should not use it?

So if I'm understanding it correctly:
1-export everything to a XML files (I already have that)
2-import all characters into a campaign
3-delete all characters from "Manage Characters"
4-Don't work out of manage characters, just from my campaign.
5-Export characters from my campaign.
6-Log into DDAL game (I can import my own character without the GM).
7-When DDAL game is done. Export the character from the DDAL campaign.
8-Import the character into my campaign? Do I need to delete the character out of my campaign first?

Trenloe
December 12th, 2016, 18:13
Ok, I'm not near FG so I'm trying to visualize your steps. Am I understanding that I would work on my characters inside of a personal campaign and as long as its inside the campaign, the character data would be fine? It is simply the "Manage Characters" function that is not working and I should not use it?
That is what we believe the current problem is.

So if I'm understanding it correctly:
1-export everything to a XML files (I already have that)
2-import all characters into a campaign
3-delete all characters from "Manage Characters"
4-Don't work out of manage characters, just from my campaign.
5-Export characters from my campaign.
6-Log into DDAL game (I can import my own character without the GM).
7-When DDAL game is done. Export the character from the DDAL campaign.
8-Import the character into my campaign? Do I need to delete the character out of my campaign first?
Step 6 - you can't import a character from XML into another GMs game, you can only import characters that are in the "Manage Characters" cache (which is where the issues are). You'll need to send the XML to the GM so that they can import it into the game.

Belgaleen
December 12th, 2016, 21:01
Ugh....yeah that might be a problem if I have to email it to the GMs. I'm trying to absorb all of the work on my side if possible without inconveniencing the GMs if possible.

Would it work if I import only that ONE character that I'm planning on playing into the Manage Characters option and then use that to upload? I know you saw it overwrite itself on the 3rd and 4th characters but I'm wondering if its just across the board and the luck of the draw so even with one character its susceptible to problems/merging of data.

Trenloe
December 12th, 2016, 21:23
Would it work if I import only that ONE character that I'm planning on playing into the Manage Characters option and then use that to upload?
It might do. Give it a go, see if it works OK.

Moon Wizard
December 12th, 2016, 23:40
Thanks for figuring out the steps to recreate. I'll try to get the fix in v3.2.2 which I'm trying to get into beta right now. (It might not be in first round of beta.)

Regards,
JPG

Belgaleen
December 16th, 2016, 02:41
Thanks! I'm not asking for an ETA, but when you actually get it into a version (whichever one it is) can you post and confirm the version it will be in so I can at least test, etc?

Moon Wizard
December 16th, 2016, 07:56
It's next on my list to look at for inclusion in the v3.2.2 patch that I'm working on now. Depending on what is required to fix it, I'll post more info.

Regards,
JPG

Moon Wizard
December 23rd, 2016, 01:36
I just pushed the next revision of the v3.2.2 beta into the Test channel with a fix for this one. My target is early January for v3.2.2 release.

Cheers,
JPG

Belgaleen
January 2nd, 2017, 23:40
Thanks! I have a clarifying question on the data problems prior to your fix. Once the data is screwed up will it stay screwed up? Here's what I've noticed while I've been waiting.

I have NOT imported or exported anything that I'm aware of (I've only edited existing characters to add logs, etc), but I saw one of the characters with a Duped name the other day. I've deleted it since. I was assuming/hoping that if I wasn't importing/exporting things I wouldn't trip across this problem in the interim.

So the questions is when 3.2.2 is released.

Will I have to rebuild all of my character XMLs again or should it be fine at that point?

damned
January 3rd, 2017, 00:06
Thanks! I have a clarifying question on the data problems prior to your fix. Once the data is screwed up will it stay screwed up? Here's what I've noticed while I've been waiting.

I have NOT imported or exported anything that I'm aware of (I've only edited existing characters to add logs, etc), but I saw one of the characters with a Duped name the other day. I've deleted it since. I was assuming/hoping that if I wasn't importing/exporting things I wouldn't trip across this problem in the interim.

So the questions is when 3.2.2 is released.

Will I have to rebuild all of my character XMLs again or should it be fine at that point?

If the data has been nuked it will still be nuked post the update.

The update will come out when its ready... Moon Wizard doesnt often put a date on it until its only a week away.... I think he has suggested it will be this month though...

Belgaleen
January 3rd, 2017, 01:33
I wasn't asking for an ETA. I was trying to understand if the nuked data was still susceptible to further corruption even if I wasn't merging data anymore since there was a specific method to reproducing the error and I wasn't doing that anymore if there were further problems that his fix may not address.

Moon Wizard mentioned it was targeted early Jan so I've just been trying to workaround it for now by not importing and exporting characters since that seemed to be the issue. I'm saying I haven't done that and something still went wrong so its possible that the data was already borked and just got worse OR Import/Export was just ONE of the reasons that I'm seeing data corruption and the fix may not fully address what I'm seeing. I'm trying to understand which one it is and what I'll need to do to verify things.

It sounds like when the fix is released in order for me to verify everything is working, I'll have to rebuild all of my character XML files since I have no idea which of them was borked.

It's a PITA to constantly be rebuilding things.

Moon Wizard
January 3rd, 2017, 01:46
My apologies for the issue Belgaleen. It has been an issue for a couple months, but wasn't really caught until your setup.

If you only import/export characters directly using the ruleset-only Manage Characters mode, it shouldn't be an issue. It's only when you use the campaign-specific Manage Characters mode.

My plan is to release v3.2.2 in mid-January, barring any major issues raised by the community testers.

Please feel free to join in the testing if you like. Check out the Laboratory forum, and use the Test mode in the FG Settings.

Regards,
JPG

Belgaleen
January 3rd, 2017, 02:29
Thanks! I'm actually trying to understand HOW to test it.

Does it help if I use 3.2.2 Test setting and rebuild the character XML that doesn't really help when I have to downgrade it to 3.2.1 to play games? My concern is that I use the 3.2.2 Test setting to rebuild the XML files then when I downgrade to 3.2.1 I trip over similar data issues and report it as a false positive on 3.2.2.

If you think this scenario is valid please let me know:

1-Upgrade to 3.2.2 Test.
2-Delete all of my character XMLs.
3-Use the 5E Manage Characters to rebuild all of my characters XML.
4-Downgrade to 3.2.1 when I play a game and DON'T import/export characters.
5-After the game, go back to 3.2.2 to EDIT the characters.
6-Wait until 3.2.2 official to import/export characters.

If that works. I'll go and rebuild my character XMLs. If not, I'd appreciate some ideas on how to do this without confusing the issue.

Moon Wizard
January 3rd, 2017, 03:51
You should either stay on v3.2.2 (which will throw a warning when connecting to games hosted on v3.2.1, but should still work), or wait to rebuild until v3.2.2 released.

Alternately, you can avoid loading campaign data in Manage Characters mode. (I.e. Only use game system (ruleset) selection, not specific campaigns). The issue only arises when cached campaign characters overwrite local characters.

Regards,
JPG

Belgaleen
January 3rd, 2017, 04:03
Oh! Someone told me you couldn't connect to older versions. I'll try out 3.2.2 then and see if I can connect to a 3.2.1 and test.

When you say only use game system (ruleset) selection. Does that mean 5E? I'm not connecting to any campaigns locally only when I connect to games?

Moon Wizard
January 3rd, 2017, 04:11
The issue only happens if you open cached campaign data in Manage Characters mode. If you only open Manage Characters mode via the ruleset only, there's no extra PC data to overlap.

For versions, any changes to the first 2 numbers in the version will prevent connection, and usually represent underlying data/communication changes. For the 3rd number, you can connect, but a warning will be thrown. It is not recommended for GMs to be newer than players, since you will get errors/issues for new APIs missing. (The GM ruleset code is always used.) It's usually not as big a deal if the player is on a newer version, since almost everything is backward compatible on minor version changes.

Regards,
JPG

Belgaleen
January 3rd, 2017, 17:26
The issue only happens if you open cached campaign data in Manage Characters mode. If you only open Manage Characters mode via the ruleset only, there's no extra PC data to overlap.

Ok, to this question. Since I reported this problem. I have NOT opened any cached campaign data in Manage Characters mode. Or if I did, I'm not sure HOW I did.

1-I click Manage Characters.
2-I click 5E.
3-I EDIT a character.
4-I sometimes export (to keep a copy on my local computer).
5-I was waiting for 3.2.2

So while I was doing these steps. If I understand it, it should NOT duplicate a character or create further borked characters....except I came back YESTERDAY and I had a duped character (Irina again that one of the other folks reported they reproduced with my dataset).

Or is my understanding incorrect and even though I have a local managed character, when my GM has a copy in his campaign (I connect to it), it can still mixup data?

I've upgraded to 3.2.2 in the meantime.

Moon Wizard
January 3rd, 2017, 17:35
I would stay on v3.2.2 for now. It should be released in a couple weeks, and we can avoid any scenarios I haven't thought of that might be affected by the issue.

Regards,
JPG

Belgaleen
January 3rd, 2017, 18:36
Sounds good. Does the system let me know when 3.2.2 transitions back to the "Live" channel or do I need to just do a manual check every so often?

TYVM.

Moon Wizard
January 3rd, 2017, 18:46
It doesn't automatically switch back from Test to Live, so check on it in a few weeks. We will also make an announcement in the City Hall forum when the release is done.

Regards,
JPG

Belgaleen
February 18th, 2017, 04:57
I've been playing with the last couple of revisions and I don't see any mixed up data for the most part. The only thing that I've seen "merged" is the "token" picture. I sometimes see the wrong "token" picture (as in one from another character) but everything else seems fine.

1-Just wanted to let you know there may be a slight issue left (annoyance really)
2-Ask if I can fix that "token" picture from Manage Character somehow? (more of an OCD thing I think than a real problem).

Moon Wizard
February 18th, 2017, 05:10
Portrait data is not transferred on export or import, just the character data. So, you'll always need to reset the portrait after importing into a campaign.

Regards,
JPG