PDA

View Full Version : Infernal Legacy - Tiefling ability

Myrdin Potter
October 17th, 2016, 06:26
The two spell-like abilities (hellish rebuke and darkness) do not seem to count against your spells in mind limits, you can just cast the spells. What about thaumaturgy? The wording says "you know" which means it does count against the total number of spells the way I read it. Am I right there, or is it a free bonus?

Zacchaeus
October 17th, 2016, 09:14
You have to think of it this way. If my Tiefling is a non spellcasting class would she know this cantrip? The answer is yes. Therefore it doesn't count towards the spells know; it's a bonus. It's like an NPC with innate spellcasting ability.

Myrdin Potter
October 17th, 2016, 15:16
If it is not a spell casting class then these are just inate abilities, but if it is a spell casting class, then I see the "you know" wording and I look at the example tiefling warlock on the WoTC site and it only has thaumaturgy once in the 10 levels. It does not have darkness even once so I assume that it might just be a different display method where they assume you just keep track of the tiefling abilities separate.

FG does not automatically add effects (resist: fire) or inate spellcasting into the action tab for the various races that have them.

Zacchaeus
October 17th, 2016, 15:55
I don't know how WotC do it but this is how I'd set up a Tiefling spellcaster.

In some cases FG can set up the effects for an ability if you drag the ability into the actions tab (You should do this anyway since it creates a nice link so the player can read about it). In the case of Teifling however it doesn't pick up on the wording and so doesn't create the effect

Myrdin Potter
October 17th, 2016, 16:34
Yes, that is pretty much exactly how I am seeing it in my mind as well. The WoTC example actually has their warlock knowing Hellish Rebuke as a spell, so hopefully I can drap and drop it twice. I am about to upload 3 more examples to the DMS Guild. I used the 6th level ones I have done in my FG-Con events and at least the players (even the experienced ones) liked how much I had set up in the characters/ I told them all that I am standing on the shoulders of giants like you.

Myrdin Potter
October 17th, 2016, 18:30
There seems to be a quirk with the Tiefling (or the Warlock) that spellcasting slots show up. There should really only be pact magic. I edited it to make one 2nd and 1 5th (the abilities are spells after all) to match the hellish rebuke and darkness. If I set use to 1 daily, then it ticks off a spell slot and shows 2 possible uses. You just need to know the character and the class to know what is going on. I wonder if there are similar issues with Tiefling Wizards and Sorcerers?

I think maybe I should just create abilities that mimic the spells and set the use to once a day and delete all spell slots from the character sheets?

Zacchaeus
October 17th, 2016, 18:42
There seems to be a quirk with the Tiefling (or the Warlock) that spellcasting slots show up. There should really only be pact magic. I edited it to make one 2nd and 1 5th (the abilities are spells after all) to match the hellish rebuke and darkness. If I set use to 1 daily, then it ticks off a spell slot and shows 2 possible uses. You just need to know the character and the class to know what is going on. I wonder if there are similar issues with Tiefling Wizards and Sorcerers?

I think maybe I should just create abilities that mimic the spells and set the use to once a day and delete all spell slots from the character sheets?

Yeah, that's probably a sound idea. In my screenshot I had actually changed the power to a spell power tab but then changed it back so that's maybe why there's odd spell slot behaviour. But I'd agree; make them powers rather than spells and just make sure that they are firing off the correct ability scores.

Myrdin Potter
October 17th, 2016, 18:55
I got the odd spell slot behavior before I added it. I had done levels 1-10 before I realized that Tieflings have that innate ability. Spell slots keep showing up. Not sure if a warlock problem or a tiefling issue. I think you can recreate by setting up a level 1 and then raising it in level and looking at the action tab.

Zacchaeus
October 17th, 2016, 19:09
I got the odd spell slot behavior before I added it. I had done levels 1-10 before I realized that Tieflings have that innate ability. Spell slots keep showing up. Not sure if a warlock problem or a tiefling issue. I think you can recreate by setting up a level 1 and then raising it in level and looking at the action tab.

But Warlocks have spell slots don't they?

Myrdin Potter
October 17th, 2016, 19:11
They have "spell slots" that show up as Pact Magic. They also are gaining actual spell slots so they have both. Should only be pact magic, I think.

Zacchaeus
October 17th, 2016, 19:24
Ah, ok. I see the problem. When you add a spell to the actions tab it is also creating a spell slot. So if you add a 1st level spell it creates a level 1 slot, a level two spell creates a level two slot etc. That, I think is a bug, so I'll report it as such. Well spotted.

Myrdin Potter
October 17th, 2016, 19:27
There are also a few quirks with the Ranger and others when you go up with the agility increase only appearing once and a few others. I have been stepping characters up levels 1-10 across all the classes. I'all try and recreate a few other others I noticed and mention them in the bugs thread.

Myrdin Potter
October 19th, 2016, 17:06
https://www.dmsguild.com/product/196185/Pregenerated-Character--Tiefling-Warlock-FG-version

This is what I ended up doing. Cannot just make the entire file available here as I use non-SRD data in the total character.

Myrdin Potter
October 21st, 2016, 23:43
[5E] Spell slots no longer automatically added on spell drops, only on class drops.

Bug fix in 3.20. Makes me glad I mentioned the issue I saw and that Zacchaeus figured out what was happening. Wish more people used the 5e bugs thread to report the little module and rules glitches they saw.

:-)

El Condoro
October 23rd, 2016, 05:57
I would do a lot more testing of the new versions if I could completely segregate them from live versions on my PC. At the moment I can't and so I only use the live version. Unless someone can tell me how to keep live and test from affecting each other... (they both use the same registry settings)

Myrdin Potter
October 23rd, 2016, 06:01
I stay away from the new versions but read the bug and version reporting thread daily.

kp9911
October 23rd, 2016, 20:42
That was a sneaky problem! Good to know it's been taken care off

buvan11
May 31st, 2018, 09:09
There appears to be a trait with the Tiefling (or the Warlock) that spellcasting ports appear. There ought to actually just be deal magic. I modified it to earn one Second as well as 1 5th (the capacities are spells besides) to match the terrible rebuke as well as darkness. If I establish usage to 1 daily, after that it checks off a spell port and also reveals 2 feasible usages. You simply have to recognize the personality and also the course to recognize exactly what is taking place. I ask yourself if there are comparable concerns with Tiefling Wizards and also Sorcerers?https://dndguide.com/spells/thaumaturgy
Here you can can about this spell

I believe perhaps I should simply develop capabilities that imitate the spells as well as established the usage to daily and also remove all spell ports from the personality sheets?
Yeah, that's most likely an audio suggestion. In my screenshot I had really altered the power to a spell power tab yet after that transformed it back to ensure that's perhaps why there's strange spell port behavior. Yet I would certainly concur; make them powers instead of spells and also simply ensure that they are shooting off the appropriate capability ratings.

RoleforFun
June 1st, 2018, 02:29
There appears to be a trait with the Tiefling (or the Warlock) that spellcasting ports appear. There ought to actually just be deal magic. I modified it to earn one Second as well as 1 5th (the capacities are spells besides) to match the terrible rebuke as well as darkness. If I establish usage to 1 daily, after that it checks off a spell port and also reveals 2 feasible usages. You simply have to recognize the personality and also the course to recognize exactly what is taking place. I ask yourself if there are comparable concerns with Tiefling Wizards and also Sorcerers?https://dndguide.com/spells/thaumaturgy
Here you can can about this spell

I believe perhaps I should simply develop capabilities that imitate the spells as well as established the usage to daily and also remove all spell ports from the personality sheets?
Yeah, that's most likely an audio suggestion. In my screenshot I had really altered the power to a spell power tab yet after that transformed it back to ensure that's perhaps why there's strange spell port behavior. Yet I would certainly concur; make them powers instead of spells and also simply ensure that they are shooting off the appropriate capability ratings.

We have a Thesaurus bot copying messages and reposting! Ha!

damned
June 1st, 2018, 03:24
I think its a mangled quote - the last two lines are the posters.