PDA

View Full Version : Token Bag Limitations

Virtual_KO
September 14th, 2005, 14:05
I must say so far I love the concept of FG and it has worked pretty well. We have had a few drops and a few times folks in our group would have to log out and back in because they lost the ability to Chat or view their character sheets.

I have to say I am getting frustrated with the Corruption that continues to occur after you have linked with others and they download objects into your Shared Folders. This has caused me to have to reinstall many times.

My main issue and this kind of touches on the Virtual Miniatures, is that I have made Virtual Miniatures (a lot of them)... and come to find out that there is NO good way to store them within the Token Bag System.

You appear to be limited to the number of Token Bags you can have going at any given time...

For instance... I have a Monsters 1 Bag... (figure I will eventually need another one)... To create this Bag I went into my FG\Tokens\Host and added a new folder from within Windows not FG. The new folder was named Monsters 1. When I enter FG and open the Token Box I see the Folder as a New Bag named Monsters 1.

Now I would like to categorize my monsters by Size First. The reason is that HUGE Tokens take up so much room on the screen it is hard to get to the one you want if it is on the bottom of the pile.

So I go into my Monsters 1 folder and create 5 Sub Folders
1 - Medium
2 - Large
3 - Huge
4 - Gargantuan
5 - Colossal

I do this with FG NOT running...

I then go back into FG and I see my first 3 bags Medium, Large, Huge
Now nothing is in Gar or Col. When I go back and place items in either of these, the Token Box gets overloaded and spits my sub bags to the main Token Box.

So after playing with different ways of categorizing Tokens (both by adding bags within FG and manually) I have come to the conclusion that the Token Bags seem to be limited in number.

Immersion is a huge part of D&D and the tokens provided while adequate do not cut it... (not complaining it only my opinion)... and to correct this I want to create my own but I need a way of storing them that allows quick access.

Thanks for taking the time to create such a wonderful program!

richvalle
September 14th, 2005, 14:11
Hmmm,

I've not tried to store ALL my token inside of FG. I just put in all the ones that it would be possible for me to use on that adventure.

rv

Virtual_KO
September 14th, 2005, 15:12
Yeah... I can store this stuff in outside folders... I know me though... The token I want will not be in my bag...LOL...

so I will have to log everyone out and grab it or make due...

I guess I don't understand why the bags are the way they are... could be a bandwidth issue?

If I keep things in my Host folder they don't transfer, correct?

richvalle
September 14th, 2005, 16:43
Correct, though some people are saying their players can see tokens in host. I tested that and its not happening to me.

I guess one way to 'fix' this would be if we could drop tokens in on the fly like we can images.

rv

kalmarjan
September 14th, 2005, 20:12
To fix the token bag after you have made changes, it is necessary to delete your preferences file in the campaign directory. That will clear up the token bag issues.

Cheers,

Snikle
September 14th, 2005, 20:25
I have to say that I liked the token box when I first started using FG, but now as my own library of tokens has increased, I too find that I am not liking the organization of it. I especially find dealing with large tokens very difficult (and that is why I do not use them).

Razaan
September 14th, 2005, 20:45
Aye, make sure you delete your tokens setting file in the campaign under user settings. That'll fix up what you are seeing.

As for fixing limitations on the token box, I edited the ui_utility.xml file and re-defined the token box to be resizeable, fixed the bag bar along the top instead of the bottom, and just gave it a plain background. Haven't tried it in a full adventure yet, but it seems manageable enough. I have rather large, detailed tokens, and the resize thing was a must.

kalmarjan
September 14th, 2005, 21:13
Razaan,

Could you give us a little tut on how this was accomplished???

Cheers,

Razaan
September 15th, 2005, 03:58
Just post the following code into your utility.xml file for your ruleset. If you just copied all of the files from the d20 example, this code will NOT be in the utility.xml file, and must be added (otherwise it just uses the default).

<windowclass name="tokenbag">
<frame name="tokenbag" />
<defaultsize width="600" height="600" />
<notokens />
<softclose />
<dynamic />
<sheetdata>
<tokenbag>
<bounds rect="13,13,-1,-1" />
<tokenarea rect="0,49,-1,-1" />
<bagbar rect="0,0,-1,49" frame="tokenbagbar" slotsize="49,49" />
<bag icon="tokenbag" top="tokenbagtop" up="tokenbagup" custom="tokenbagcustom" labelframe="mini_name" labelfont="mini_name" />
<grid width="46" height="50" />
</tokenbag>
</sheetdata>
</windowclass>

<dynamic /> Allowed it to be resizeable

<bounds rect="13,13,-1,-1" /> determines where the tokens can be placed. 13 pixels from the top and left, and -1 pixel from the bottom and right hand sides.

<tokenarea rect="0,49,-1,-1" /> Tells the area to begin 0 pixels from the left, 49 from the top (to allow room for the bag bar)

<bagbar rect="0,0,-1,49" frame="tokenbagbar" slotsize="49,49" /> sets the location of the bagbar to 0 from top and left, to -1 from the right size, and 49 pixels down (negative numbers count in from the entire width, positive numbers set a hard size)

And then in the Graphics.xml file, I added the following in order to use a custom image:

<bitmap file="rulesets\myCustomRuleset\frames\tokencase.png" />

Larac
August 10th, 2006, 19:25
Tried this but had no luck.

Will try again slowly this time.

I even removed the file and nothing changed.

Lee

Larac
August 10th, 2006, 19:45
OK I start a new Campaign.

These are the files in the Campaign Token

Images Folder

Chatlog.html

Campaign.xml

Thats all.

So I copied the file ui.utility.xml to the Token dir.

No Change

Sorry I know I am missing a simple thing but missing it I am.

Lee

demonsbane
August 10th, 2006, 22:35
I have to say that I liked the token box when I first started using FG, but now as my own library of tokens has increased, I too find that I am not liking the organization of it. I especially find dealing with large tokens very difficult (and that is why I do not use them).
`
The current FG token box is good for letter-tokens, but it is very true the small size of the token box is a pain. I did have problems with it since I did start using FG. You can't to have a certain nš of tokens because they donīt fit in. Besides that they do a real mess for actually picking the one you want, and you canīt to store very big tokens due the small size of the "container".

I would like to see that XML change for resizing the small token box working on my FG installation. ;)

Cheer,
Demonsbane

Jingo
August 11th, 2006, 17:09
I don't mess around with custom token packs anymore... the last time I downloaded and installed some of those, it corrupted my entire campaign! It took me three hours just to reinstall everything and get it running back in a semi-usable state. I hope the devs have someting in the works to make this more usable in v2. I would love to use some custom packs I downloaded, but dont't dare to.

disco54
August 21st, 2006, 00:55
Nice work. This is just the thing I needed. I hope v2.0 has some kind of nested symbol directory instead of this clunky tray, but at least I can fit several huge-sized minis in the tray now.

disco54
August 21st, 2006, 01:04
Here's a screen cap of my new box using Razaan's code...

https://www.zipri.com/data/Screens/ABetterBox.png

...lot's more room as you can see. :D

Jingo
August 21st, 2006, 09:28
Wow Disco! That's pretty cool. Where did you get your nifty tokens from? Is that a token pack available for purchase or download somewhere?

I followed Razaan's instructions as well, but for some reason I can't get it to use my custom tokencase.png image. It keeps grabbing the default image so that my token box, when resized, looks like this:
https://home.comcast.net/~hessmess1/token_box_resized.jpg

At least it resizes fine. But how can I get my custom image to show up?
Here's what I've done...

I've stored a custom image named tokencase.png in C:\Program Files\FantasyGrounds\rulesets\d20-SRD\frames\
In the d20_graphics.xml file, I placed this line of code:

<bitmap file="rulesets\d20-SRD\frames\tokencase.png" />

But having that line of code in there doesn't seem to do anything. Is it supposed to be inside framedef tags like the other items in the d20_graphics.xml file?

Larac
August 28th, 2006, 23:22
you got better than I did.

Can someone email me the file to change the size of the token box, and tell me where to drop the file.

[email protected]

None of what I try works.

Lee