PDA

View Full Version : Steam Client Unavailable- Unable to access Steam client WIN10 | Steam Client running

Tigon
October 16th, 2016, 09:17
I just downloaded the Fantasy Grounds Demo today. I'm in the process of evaluating multiple clients to run my campaign from (Fantasy Grounds, Roll20, RPGTools, Mote, etc).

I ran the set up, and cant get the Fantasy Grounds Updater to sync with my steam client.

I'm on Windows 10. I did get the Fantasy Grounds Store Purchases field to populate as I have utilized the 'Update' button to populate my Fantasy Grounds username / pass.
I did note that under the "Steam Purchases" section in the settings of the Fantasy Grounds updater that it says "*Requires Steam to be running as same Windows User" and my Steam username is different (Tigon on Fantasy Grounds | DJTigon on Steam), however as stated before, the Fantasy Grounds Store Purchases is populated with the base rule sets and general-addons.

Any idea why the client and updater wont sync?

Cheers,
Scott

damned
October 16th, 2016, 12:37
Can you post a screenshot of the error and of your settings screen?
To be honest - on the demo there is nothing to sync with either the FG store or the Steam store as you dont get any of the licensed DLC with the demo...

FG Con 9 is now in its final legs - that would have been a great opportunity for you to jump in and try out some games as a player...

ddavison
October 16th, 2016, 16:06
There is nothing that needs to sync with the Demo. If you wanted to test the full functionality, you could start a free 30-day trial of the Standard or Ultimate license subscription and then use that license key within your FG Settings window to download the additional assets that come with the full version.

Tigon
October 16th, 2016, 17:41
Can you post a screenshot of the error and of your settings screen?
To be honest - on the demo there is nothing to sync with either the FG store or the Steam store as you dont get any of the licensed DLC with the demo...

FG Con 9 is now in its final legs - that would have been a great opportunity for you to jump in and try out some games as a player...

Screen shots? Sure! Here you go. And oo didnt know about FGCon. Today is my first day off and I dont go back to work til Wednesday so I'll be lookin for something between now and Tues night (PT).

There is nothing that needs to sync with the Demo. If you wanted to test the full functionality, you could start a free 30-day trial of the Standard or Ultimate license subscription and then use that license key within your FG Settings window to download the additional assets that come with the full version.

I still shouldnt receive an error saying it cant access the local client. I'm a Service Engineer at the Xbox Live Network Operations Center, and if what you're telling me is that I'm receiving the error because its the demo and the function is disabled, then that's a pretty poor customer experience. Id think it would be pretty easy to disable the check until a license key was provided, change the error message when a license key is not provided, or add another line of "*Steam Client unavailable to Demo users" or something to that effect.

LordEntrails
October 16th, 2016, 17:46
I don't think that's what they mean to indicate, but I'm not a Steam user so I'll let one of the other guys respond :)

You can get a bit more info about FG-Con here: www.fg-con.com

But if you're interested, about the best you can do right now is to get the demo working, load up teamspeak3 and drop into the community TS server, Their is an LFG channel there and you might get lucky and be able to fill in for a no show or if a GM has an extra slot.

Info on the FG TS server here; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?17071-Voicechat!-Community-TeamSpeak3-Server

Zacchaeus
October 16th, 2016, 18:19
You are getting an error becasue you don't have any DLC which you bought from Steam. Uncheck the the box 'Check Steam for DLC'

Tigon
October 16th, 2016, 18:22
You are getting an error becasue you don't have any DLC which you bought from Steam. Uncheck the the box 'Check Steam for DLC'

Ok, and I have unchecked that and bypassed it. The error message says tho, that it cant access the Steam Client. If what you say is true, then perhaps the messaging is a bit off and should be reworded or at least have an appending note that if there is no DLC you'll also get this error.

Zacchaeus
October 16th, 2016, 18:35
Ok, and I have unchecked that and bypassed it. The error message says tho, that it cant access the Steam Client. If what you say is true, then perhaps the messaging is a bit off and should be reworded or at least have an appending note that if there is no DLC you'll also get this error.

Despite the confident assertion that I made it was just a guess :)

I too, have a different username in Steam so it's not that. It may just be that you don't need to be updating anything at the moment since there's nothing to update. Looking at your screenshot you have all that the Demo version has to offer.

Tigon
October 16th, 2016, 23:52
Thanks for all the help guys!

Tigon
October 22nd, 2016, 19:02
Just an update.

Everything works just fine now. My only feedback would be that the messaging in the error message is unclear. It might just be easier to disable (grey out) that sync function in the demo version and only enable it once a license is activated, though I guess if the Unity version is on its way, its not worth spending points on.

Thanks again guys, this application looks SUPER polished, can't wait until the new version arrives.

If you need any UAT/Feedback lmk, i'm more than willing to volunteer.