PDA

View Full Version : Custom NPCs Spell Saves not Working

LordEntrails
October 16th, 2016, 03:39
So I've got some custom NPC's that I notice when they target characters the spell save doesn't work and I can't figure out what's wrong. NPCs from the MM work fine, but these don't.

So, here's what it looks like in the chat (yes they are added to the CT and targeted etc correctly):

Here's what it looks like in the CT (it appears to parse correctly):

And here's what the NPC entry look like:

So, any ideas on how to track this down?

Trenloe
October 16th, 2016, 07:32
Re-edit your NPC (outside of the combat tracker). Delete all of the "Spells" entries and leave the "Spellcasting" entry as is. Close the NPC and then re-open it. The spells should be auto populated with the correct saves.

LordEntrails
October 16th, 2016, 17:29
Thanks Trenloe. I should have thought to try that. Since this are all being added from an encounter, do I need to rebuild the encounters? or can I just edit them in the NPC list?

Trenloe
October 16th, 2016, 17:32
Thanks Trenloe. I should have thought to try that. Since this are all being added from an encounter, do I need to rebuild the encounters? or can I just edit them in the NPC list?
Just edit them in the NPC list. Encounter records link to the NPC entry in the list. Just double check a NPC in the encounter after you've made the change.

LordEntrails
October 16th, 2016, 23:36
Just edit them in the NPC list. Encounter records link to the NPC entry in the list. Just double check a NPC in the encounter after you've made the change.
When added to the CT the spells didn't parse. Not sure why. Will look into it later this week. Now that I have spent most of the last few days playing, have lots on my Honey-Do list that needs doing :)

LordEntrails
October 20th, 2016, 16:27
When added to the CT the spells didn't parse. Not sure why. Will look into it later this week. Now that I have spent most of the last few days playing, have lots on my Honey-Do list that needs doing :)
Ok, so I figured out why (I think) it didn't work. Since the ones I tested had custom spells, I didn't delete those. As I read elsewhere, it will only reparse the spells if all spells are deleted.

So, I need to learn how to parse a custom spell and add it to my adventure module. I can figure out the Par5E side (probably) but the parts I don't know are when I Par5E is, do I do it as a reference or not? And then can I include it in my adventure xml or do I need to make a reference module? Then, do I need to worry about linking in the spellcaster trait or will FG automatically check all open modules for a spell of the given name?

Zacchaeus
October 21st, 2016, 03:02
FG will attempt to find the spells listed in the Spellcasting trait and will look in all open modules for them. So, yes you'll need to parse your spells. The spells can be in the same module but I think they can only be parsed as reference, but I can't check that right now.

LordEntrails
October 21st, 2016, 15:40
FG will attempt to find the spells listed in the Spellcasting trait and will look in all open modules for them. So, yes you'll need to parse your spells. The spells can be in the same module but I think they can only be parsed as reference, but I can't check that right now.

Given that my current module is not Par5Ed, it was done through the FG interface, can I add the Par5Ed spells to the existing mod? and if so, where do I insert the xml?

Or, since DMs might want these spells available in other campaigns, should I do it as a stand-alone reference? (Along with my custom backgrounds.) I'm liking this idea... to put all my custom NPCs, spells, backgrounds, items etc into a reference module kind of like the EE Players Companion. Is that what DMs would prefer? Suggestions thoughts?

Trenloe
October 21st, 2016, 16:48
Given that my current module is not Par5Ed, it was done through the FG interface, can I add the Par5Ed spells to the existing mod? and if so, where do I insert the xml?
You'll have to build out a <library> section in the module. To get an example of the format, use this parser to create a spells module and look at the XML: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?21835-D-amp-D-Basic-Rules-PDF-Parser

I'm liking this idea... to put all my custom NPCs, spells, backgrounds, items etc into a reference module kind of like the EE Players Companion. Is that what DMs would prefer? Suggestions thoughts?
Creating a custom player manual is a good idea. Don't include NPCs unless they are for use by the players (familiars, summoned creatures, etc.). GM data (story entries, maps, NPCs, etc., etc.) should be in a separate module.