PDA

View Full Version : looking for 5 players for a level 20 gestalt game for 3.5 D&D

Jaekaido
October 15th, 2016, 00:23
that is what i am looking for. if you are hell bent on keeping things by the book then please do not apply. i run a very creative game and bend rules as i see fit. i have a list of house rules that i give everyone at session 0. i already know of a few players who are looking for a gestalt game and so i will ask them first but i am always willing to start a second group for the same campaign if there is enough interest. i only have the standard license. please use the following template for applications.

name:
experience with 3.5:
time zone:
days you are available to play:
time that works best for you:
a little about yourself:
best way to contact you:

if you have any questions that you want to ask feel free to ask them here that way other people will have the answers i give in case there are repeat questions.

gaara6666
October 15th, 2016, 01:44
Jay

open basically to most ideas. I for many years built many concepts in my mind so I have a good 22 different character concepts not just "mechanical" builds in mind.

10 years of 3.5 experience

central usa

friday monday tuesday

8pm us central and up

A little about myself. huge tabletop fan for the last 23 years. I have played about 9 different systems and always always loved fanciful fun over rules lawyering and min-maxing. I grew up second gen legacy to D&D and always love getting lost in flights of fancy and fantasy. Really looking forward to enjoy something fun but still cooperatively with others. Big comic as well as cartoon fan to boot.

best way to contact me would be via pm here.

gaara6666
October 15th, 2016, 19:56
Is it 1 to level 20. Or start at 20th level?

MeKonopa
October 15th, 2016, 21:50
name: Matt
basic character idea: Warrior and Uber jack of all trades
experience with 3.5: Played with a group for several years.
time zone: PST
days you are available to play: Tues, Possibly Fri, Sat
time that works best for you: Anytime between five and nine pm.
a little about yourself: Been a tabletop fan for little over a decade, and I'm really into being the gray hero or an anti hero outright. love playing a half 'n half game (half combat, half role-play), where I can build character to feel like a badass and then sink my teeth into his motivations.
best way to contact you: PM over fantasy grounds.

Q's: Are there any 3.5 books you're outlawing, and is the occasional 3rd ed book that was never updated to 3.5, and the non-wizards of the coast supplement, okay

hastedragon
October 16th, 2016, 01:34
name: Clint
basic character idea: arcane archer
experience with 3.5: 5 years
time zone: mst (-7 gmt)
days you are available to play:fri, sat, sun
time that works best for you:from friday night to sunday morning im open
a little about yourself: been lfg for about 3 years after the last campaign ... my brothergot me in to table top when i was young with (Earth Dawn) became a fan of the d20 system after words and was raised on 3.5.
best way to contact you:pm over fantasy grounds

Jaekaido
October 16th, 2016, 04:47
we are starting at level 20. if it is compatible with 3.5 then yes, no pathfinder though. in regards to 3e books it depends on what books, but it shouldn't be a problem. there are no books that i am outlawing as i want you to have a character that you can be proud of. i want you to be creative but don't break the game. this should be fun for everyone to play.

gaara6666
October 16th, 2016, 05:18
alright then. any character creation rules? stat blocks for stats, starting gold, etc? alignments you would prefer?

Jaekaido
October 16th, 2016, 20:53
roll 4d6 keep all four. 760,000 gp for equipment. equipment must be bought at full price, you cannot create any item that will be in your starting equipment. you do not have access to epic material yet. i will give everyone the houserules when we have enough players to start, looking for 2 more. if you know someone let them know that i am running this game. as it stands right now there are 3 players. as far as alignment it doesn't matter as you will still work as a team even if you are chaotic evil you will still be part of the team. i will elaborate more on this at session 0.

here is the game calendar link- https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=2223

Aphelion
October 17th, 2016, 03:30
John
Sorcerer/ Cleric
EST
Monday, Tuesday and Thursday after 6pm and until 1am.
I've been gaming since I was 14, I'm the vocalist for a black metal/doom metal band, I'm married, I have a 1 year old son, and I love sci fi, fantasy and horror.
Email: [email protected] or Skype: thatfloatingfatman

gaara6666
October 17th, 2016, 04:04
monday or tuesday would be preferrable for me too but i CAN do fridays

ryeookin
October 17th, 2016, 17:45
Hi! I've always salivated at the idea of playing some 3.5 gestalt and I've never played lvl20+ so this would be a game I've always wanted to try on. :rv:

Ryan
I was looking to make a Duskblade/Archivist for another gestalt game I never used. That could be fun. Not 100% sure yet though.

I've played 10+ years with 3.5. Only issue is I've gotten away from 3.5 for the past 3 years (moved to pathfinder) or so I forget some of the rules.. but I imagine it'll come back to me fairly easily as I re-immerse myself.
EST
Wednesday's between 6-10pm weekly, every other Sunday (I have a game every other Sunday night currently). If you do settle on Monday night (as that seems to work for most) I'll see what I can do.. but I cant' guarantee I'd be able to make that.

I like both combat and role playing (maybe 50/50 each). I tend to play social 'face' type characters who tend to think tactically and smart (usually casters but I mix it up sometimes). As for group dynamics, I like to 'add' to a group and I love it when a group works well as a team and respects each other.

Best way to contact me would be via pm here.

Question:
1) Will the group be using teamspeak?
2) Do you use obsidian portal by any chance?
3) Are LA+ races allowed?

ryeookin
October 17th, 2016, 17:49
Doh, double post. My mistake.

Jaekaido
October 17th, 2016, 18:43
to answer your questions
1) Will the group be using teamspeak? as long as i can figure out how to set up a channel yes
2) Do you use obsidian portal by any chance? honestly i do not know what that is, please enlighten me on that
3) Are LA+ races allowed? as long as you do not go above a +4 level adjustment, yes

ryeookin
October 17th, 2016, 18:51
Here's a review of Obsidian Portal (so you know what it does):
https://geekdad.com/2015/01/obsidian-portal-campaign-wiki/

Jaekaido
October 17th, 2016, 19:01
Ryeookin could you make a saturday game by any chance?

ryeookin
October 17th, 2016, 19:22
Not weekly at this time unfortunately.

Jaekaido
October 17th, 2016, 20:03
okay well it looks like tuesday at 7pm mst is going to be the campaign starting on the 25th of this month.

Mrsinzo
October 18th, 2016, 00:32
name: Kyle
basic character idea: Githzerai ( Monster Manuel I Version, LA+2) Runic Lord ( basically hurls magic rocks/ can inscribe runes for bonus effects/ Very few monk like abilities.)
experience with 3.5: 2+ years, i own nearly all the books, and use some other books to gain some more creativity.
time zone: Pst (gmt-8)
days you are available to play: Wednesdays and sundays, nearly all day. every other Saturday. I can Attempt Tuesday nights but i just started up a game last week on tuesday nights ( not gestalted sadly : [ )
time that works best for you: Wednesdays and sundays, nearly all day. every other sat after 4:30 pm my time
a little about yourself: Im mostly a hermit, i live with my wife, and my schedule is pretty well set in place. Im a huge video gamer and gun freak ( I like guns more than what i actually know bout them)
best way to contact you: FG Forum site, Skype, or cell ( once a game is established ill give my cell # to the DM only)

I Appreciate ya gettin me a link to get me a spot in here, Jaekaido. Ill Attempt to try n get my group to swap to thursdays or another day entirely, i really wanna use the FG app though! Plus october 25th is my brothers b-day xD

Jaekaido
October 18th, 2016, 02:45
well you don't have to start on the 25th you can join the week after if you can play on teusdays but i may be running a second group so i may be able to squeeze you into that one

Jaekaido
October 18th, 2016, 02:54
Hastedragon, Mrsinzo and Ryeookin we could play every other sunday if you would like it is less frequent than i like, but i can make it work.

Jaekaido
October 18th, 2016, 03:04
this link is for group two which consists of Hastedragon, Ryeookin, Mrsinzo

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=2225

Jaekaido
October 18th, 2016, 03:05
this the link for group one which consists of Gaara6666, Mekonopa, Aphelion.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=2223

Jimbo
October 18th, 2016, 16:13
Name James
Age 45
Character Monk ?
Time zone eastern not a problem
Available
,witty Actor, laid back
contact PM
Question I am an extreme newbie to FG so decide if you want one in the party. I can keep up but might need some little help here and there.

Jaekaido
October 19th, 2016, 05:32
do you have experience with 3.5

Jaekaido
October 19th, 2016, 05:33
btw we now have a channel on the teamspeak server called Invasion of Nova. there should be no password required

Jimbo
October 19th, 2016, 16:06
I just started playing a 3.5 sat. game with a dm who is teaching me. I am also looking at the FG manuals. I will certainly ready myself as much as possible, but I still will need a little help. I have all the basics and the foundation.

Jaekaido
October 20th, 2016, 01:12
what days do you want to play Sundays or Tuesdays

Jaekaido
October 20th, 2016, 01:45
scratch these games i can not seem to set it up on fg and i am getting frustrated and i do not want to waste people's time trying to figure it out. i am so sorry

Jimbo
October 20th, 2016, 03:53
Well I f you did manage to put together a game I could play either day. if their is anything I can do to help let me know. Perhaps the DM from my other game could help.

hastedragon
October 20th, 2016, 08:11
be more then happy to play on sunday at anytime even it game starts at 1 am

Jimbo
October 20th, 2016, 08:15
good for me

Trenloe
October 20th, 2016, 21:16
scratch these games i can not seem to set it up on fg and i am getting frustrated and i do not want to waste people's time trying to figure it out. i am so sorry
Recommendation when starting out with FG: don't try to get everything automated for your first few sessions. Run a game like you would face-to-face, have data in the FG character sheet and do basic rolls from there, but don't get hung up on FG handling everything for you from the word go - it just won't happen and you'll get frustrated (which sounds like what is happening). Get used to the basics of the interface first and then over time add in more automation (if that is what you want). For now let the FG dice roll, let the players tell you what the total is - compare it with the AC on the NPC, etc., etc.. Concentrate on the game, not the bells and whistles. None of the experienced FG GMs started with everything setup and automated within FG - that takes time (both to learn and to implement).

Jaekaido
October 21st, 2016, 01:43
the game is back on everybody. i will have to set up the game calendar again but i finally figured out what i was doing wrong. thank you for your patience with me

Jaekaido
October 21st, 2016, 01:49
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=2228 here is the link for group one

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=2229 here is the link for group two

ryeookin
October 21st, 2016, 21:38
I'm totally stoked about this game but with the recent game switching off and then back on again.. and me realizing that making a game starting from lvl1 is hard enough in RL, much less in fantasy grounds.. then throwing in that we're starting off at lvll 20 (which makes all creatures more complicated by a lot) and that sounds like a mind boggling amount of work/learning curve to me for someone who's relatively new to FG. I just want to confirm, are you sure you're up for this?

To be clear I mean no disrespect, it's just that making a character for this game will likely take me hours (fun hours indeed, but still a good bit of time to invest) and I want to make sure if I allocate time to make said character that he gets played tis all.

Jaekaido
October 21st, 2016, 22:50
i have already begun the maps and npcs. i understand your hesitation but i can assure you you will get to play your character. i have waited a long time to play in this style of play and i will be damned if i am going to let a few minor things stop from playing. i took the advice i was given as to running it old school and not using the automation aspects. right now i am seeing a need to play a game and i am taking the initiative and running it. by all means if you are too hesitant to play, i understand.

ryeookin
October 21st, 2016, 23:51
Well you sound pretty committed which is enough for me to give this a go. :)

ryeookin
October 22nd, 2016, 00:54
A couple of game questions:
1) Would you mind sharing a little about the setting and story so I got an idea how I can create a background that fits the setting (or should I just be patient for session 0)? :)
2) I see +4La races are allowed, are templates allowed too? If they are allowed, are they a free +LA or do we pay for it with one of the sides of our gestalt character (how would you work it)?

gaara6666
October 22nd, 2016, 02:43
You have game one for tuesdays set as 1pm mountain time. I thought they were going to be 8pm us central time. Just wanted to confirm.

Jaekaido
October 22nd, 2016, 17:28
i will fix the time Gaara6666

as far as templates go i would prefer not going above a LA of +4 with both races and templates as far as back story here is what you guys know right now

The Invasion of the Nova.

One hundred years ago a race of armored beings, known as the Nova, appeared on the world of Darteth. These beings swarmed the world and brought destruction with them. The kingdoms of the world put aside their differences in order to combat this new enemy, who did not care what alignment you were. The forces of good and evil have agreed to fight along side each other as the evil kingdoms answered the invasion with power in numbers and have fought the Nova the longest. Evil beings got so desperate to win that they turned to the good aligned kingdoms for help as they were no mtach for the Nova. Though they are working together, it doesn't mean they fight in the same manner. The good try to understand the Nova, while the evil try to push them back so that the world may survive.

While the nations of Darteth combat these beings the gods have seem to have vanished. No celestial or fiendish creatures have come forth to aid in the war. Some see this as the gods have given up on the beings of Darteth. Others see this as a test in order to survive. Either way this could be the end of humanity for Darteth.

The Nova are animated suits of armor with a core made of a strange red metal, called Nova Steel. Only when the core is broken will the being stop. Someone must break the core in order to to stop that particular Nova. But there lies a problem. In order to make to the core they make it through what is called the freezing area. Though not a cold attack, it immobilizes any one in it. We have come to find that the smaller they are the shorter the range on this ability and the shorter the duration. That said the larger ones are deadly as they stop everyone in an attack party, and kill them before they can attack.

The Nova also have another weapon that they use, which are ribbon like blades that are used to entangle their target. After the target has been entangled, they proceed to crush them over time. This sometimes takes days. Some of the larger ones have been said to have the ability to meld their target into their body and that makes them stronger.

Five days ago you each developed these gem like stones, called Stigmata, on your skin. Each of you have had a different experience with them, some of you are more skillful, while the casters seem to have more spells. Those of combat types have become even better at combat.

Jaekaido
October 22nd, 2016, 17:30
i will have more information for you guys during session 0 on everything that you guys will need to know

gaara6666
October 22nd, 2016, 20:23
I will pm you my character and backstory tonight for you to get a look at for story purposes and his stigmata

Jaekaido
October 23rd, 2016, 00:43
okay that works for me. the real question i have is what does your character rely on most, combat, skills, or spellcasting?

Mrsinzo
October 23rd, 2016, 00:53
Hey Jae, does the 4d6 for stats include the standard ability point given every 4 levels, or do we apply those as well?

Jimbo
October 23rd, 2016, 03:22
I'm working on an Elven Monk so a mix a of combat and skills, but no complicated spells to slow me down.

ryeookin
October 24th, 2016, 01:02
I apologize Jaekaido. I had a long day, am presently exhausted and won't be able to make it tonight.

Jaekaido
October 24th, 2016, 01:36
i am getting a new computer sometime this week as my current one is freaking out horribly. my headset won't work with it and it is just overall glitchy. i am sorry but the session zero for both games will be pushed back to next week at the same time.

Jaekaido
October 26th, 2016, 23:01
new server alias is

dead user soft rogue

i have my new computer now and am working on the campaign more so there is stuff to play in case we have time after the intro in session zero. if anyone needs help please let me know

ryeookin
October 27th, 2016, 21:02
Congrats on the new pc. :)

Also, FYI - This Sunday I got my every other Sunday "Hell's Vengeance" game and as such won't be able to make it this particular Sunday.

Jaekaido
October 27th, 2016, 22:45
right then we will do it next week

Jaekaido
October 27th, 2016, 22:58
hey guys i just got some unexpected news about a friend and will not be able to run this game. i am sorry for the inconvenience, and getting your hopes up.

gaara6666
October 28th, 2016, 00:00
it happens. no harm, no foul

hastedragon
October 29th, 2016, 05:23
well please keep us in mind if you can Dm for us at a latter date

Jaekaido
October 29th, 2016, 14:20
will do