PDA

View Full Version : Effect on damage

g0ntzal
October 14th, 2016, 22:47
Hi guys,

If I apply an effect [Damage +2] (for example) on a active character, I get the modified damage roll only for fighting attacks but no for ranged attacks.

Someone else?

(Core RPG 3.1.7 and SW 4.2.5)

Thanks,

Gon

Ikael
October 15th, 2016, 11:55
Hi guys,

If I apply an effect [Damage +2] (for example) on a active character, I get the modified damage roll only for fighting attacks but no for ranged attacks.

Someone else?

(Core RPG 3.1.7 and SW 4.2.5)

Thanks,

Gon

That's how it was implemented, ie. Damage keyword only applies to non-ranged damage rolls

Ikael
October 15th, 2016, 12:33
However, here is small sample extension that provide more effect modifier keywords such as:

[MeleeDamage +1] -- Applies damage modifier to melee damage rolls
[RangedDamage +1]-- Applies damage modifier to ranged damage rolls
[ThrownDamage +1]-- Applies damage modifier to thrown damage rolls
[ArcaneDamage +1]-- Applies damage modifier to any arcane damage rolls
[MagicDamage +1]-- Applies damage modifier to magic-typed damage rolls
[PsionicsDamage +1]-- Applies damage modifier to psionics-typed damage rolls
[MiraclesDamage +1]-- Applies damage modifier to miracles-typed damage rolls

Adding new effect modifiers is very easy to do if you are savvy-enough to write extension

NOTE: This extension is no longer needed because these new effect keywords are included into SavageWorlds ruleset. The extension is still left here as sampler

Dr0W
October 16th, 2016, 01:45
Is there a way to let players apply effects themselves or am I missing something?

g0ntzal
October 16th, 2016, 23:05
Thanks so much, Ikael. You are the light into the darkness :)

Mask_of_winter
October 16th, 2016, 23:59
Yeah I really wish I could figure out how to let players apply effects themselves if it's even possible. It's keeping me from fully using effects right now because if I have a big group with Arcane Background folks and players who uses a lot of tactics I have to scramble through an already cluttered screen to drag and drop effects.

Skellan
October 17th, 2016, 02:56
Yeah I really wish I could figure out how to let players apply effects themselves if it's even possible. It's keeping me from fully using effects right now because if I have a big group with Arcane Background folks and players who uses a lot of tactics I have to scramble through an already cluttered screen to drag and drop effects.

Spot on. This feature would be so helpful. The SW ruleset doesn't really need much but this is top of my wishlist

Skellan
October 17th, 2016, 02:58
However, here is small sample extension that provide more effect modifier keywords such as:

Adding new effect modifiers is very easy to do if you are savvy-enough to write extension

Thanks for this! It will be really useful.

Ikael
October 17th, 2016, 05:03
Spot on. This feature would be so helpful. The SW ruleset doesn't really need much but this is top of my wishlist

Unfortunately players cannot manage effects at the moment. You could add it to SW wishlist if it's still used

Dr0W
October 19th, 2016, 07:40

Could the opposite be done as easily? As in adding to Toughness/Armor or Parry when defending against a type of damage? More specifically, medium and large shields add +2 to the Armor when hit by ranged attacks, can it be done in code as an effect?

Ikael
October 19th, 2016, 19:55
Could the opposite be done as easily? As in adding to Toughness/Armor or Parry when defending against a type of damage? More specifically, medium and large shields add +2 to the Armor when hit by ranged attacks, can it be done in code as an effect?

Unfortunately that is out of the easy-scope because there is no API to register new handler for existing attack/damage roll processing. You could easily replace the whole function but that's not something I like to it in extension.

However, your idea was so good that I created change request for the SavageWorlds ruleset which incorporate your idea, if you could define effect keywords such as MeleeDefense, RangedDefense, ThrownThoughness, ArcaneArmor, etc. (any combination of attacktype: melee, ranged, thrown, arcane and defense, toughness, armor). It's up to Savage World ruleset's main developer to decide if this change is going to be included/incorporated into core ruleset. Time will tell

Skellan
October 19th, 2016, 22:35
Nice one Ikael

Ikael
October 20th, 2016, 05:12
Just got confirmation that these changes were incorporated into core SavageWorlds ruleset. You can expect them in the next test version update (along with "auto apply range modifiers" feature)

Dr0W
October 20th, 2016, 13:39
Just got confirmation that these changes were incorporated into core SavageWorlds ruleset. You can expect them in the next test version update (along with "auto apply range modifiers" feature)

Hurrah!

Dr0W
October 21st, 2016, 21:09
I just checked the new update, it seems to work flawlessly. You have no idea how easier you and all involved made my life, all of you have my greatest gratitude.

Ikael
October 22nd, 2016, 19:13
Is there a way to let players apply effects themselves or am I missing something?

Had some free time today and I implemented way for players to apply effects. We will see if it's going to be accepted to core SavageWorlds ruleset

Skellan
October 22nd, 2016, 21:52
Had some free time today and I implemented way for players to apply effects. We will see if it's going to be accepted to core SavageWorlds ruleset

Oh wow, that would be fantastic. I won't be asked 'can you put wild attack on me?' all the time hehe

Ikael
October 24th, 2016, 18:50
This newest ruleset version (at the moment release only in test mode) contains following updates:

New weapontype (Melee, Ranged, Thrown, Arcane) specific effect modifier keywords, such as

Melee, MeleeDamage, MeleeDefense, MeleeToughness, MeleeArmor

Existing Damage effect modifier keyword applies to any type of damage rolls
New option: Effects: Players can apply -- When enabled, players can apply/drag effect from effect list to combat tracker when character (or ally) that they control is active in combat tracker

Any extensions mentioned in this thread are no longer needed but are left here as samplers

g0ntzal
October 24th, 2016, 18:51
Ikael you rock!!! Thanks!!!

Skellan
October 24th, 2016, 18:53
woohoo!

These changes will have a big positive impact on my games.

Thank you.

Dr0W
October 25th, 2016, 06:14
Haha, I love how Ikael makes things happen. Stuff went from "time will tell if we'll get this feature" to "It's done." in a matter of days.
In less than two weeks I got working shields throught effects, auto-applying range penalties, lots of effects revamped to reflect the new types we got AND now players can add their own effects, not to mention features I asked for in the past like a simple auto-rolling shaken that turned into something even bigger and the awesome Defeated Markers that seems to be exclusive to SW and give us lots of blood to out battles (but is broken on 3.2 so far :( ).

These were probably the only things I could think that could actually improve my Savage Worlds experience and I feel really grateful for all this, Ikael. Really, thanks a lot.

Somebody give this guy a medal.

damned
October 25th, 2016, 07:41
Haha, I love how Ikael makes things happen. Stuff went from "time will tell if we'll get this feature" to "It's done." in a matter of days.
In less than two weeks I got working shields throught effects, auto-applying range penalties, lots of effects revamped to reflect the new types we got AND now players can add their own effects, not to mention features I asked for in the past like a simple auto-rolling shaken that turned into something even bigger and the awesome Defeated Markers that seems to be exclusive to SW and give us lots of blood to out battles (but is broken on 3.2 so far :( ).

These were probably the only things I could think that could actually improve my Savage Worlds experience and I feel really grateful for all this, Ikael. Really, thanks a lot.

Somebody give this guy a medal.

Give him some rep!

Dr0W
October 25th, 2016, 14:42
Give him some rep!

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Ikael again." :cry:

Ikael
October 27th, 2016, 19:25
...the awesome Defeated Markers that seems to be exclusive to SW and give us lots of blood to out battles (but is broken on 3.2 so far :(

Defeated Markers works fine for me in FG v3.2. The only reason it might not work is if you are using old version of CoreRPG. Do you have CoreRPG unzipped to your ruleset folder?

PS: Starting from FG v3.2 one could implement Defeated Markers feature to any CoreRPG derived ruleset. Personaly I am not up for the job, but anyone can borrow my codes from the SavageWorlds ruleset to do it :)

Dr0W
October 27th, 2016, 20:01
Defeated Markers works fine for me in FG v3.2. The only reason it might not work is if you are using old version of CoreRPG. Do you have CoreRPG unzipped to your ruleset folder?

PS: Starting from FG v3.2 one could implement Defeated Markers feature to any CoreRPG derived ruleset. Personaly I am not up for the job, but anyone can borrow my codes from the SavageWorlds ruleset to do it :)

No I don't, and just deleted CoreRPG and let the updater download it once again.
I always get a "Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_tokenmarker.lua"]:118: attempt to index local 'tokenPlaceholder' (a nil value)" when I delete a token with the Defeated markers option on.
It even happened to me while I was a recording a video showing 3.20 new features for combat, I forgot to turn off the Defeater Markers and the error popped up. ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hjpH1SBVo8&t=26m30s )

However, It's not the first time I'm the only having an issue with Defeated Markers, in the past I had a bug that couldn't be solved by reinstalling FG. I had to do a complete windows reinstall for it to work again, once bugged.
Then I figured out I could "just" delete Fantasy Grounds, remove all FG entries on my registry and then reinstall for the Defeated Markers to work. I know, seems weird, but happened more than once.

I'll have a friend test it, if it's working fine for him I'll do a complete reinstall.

Edit: Just tested it on my wife's computer. I keep her computer on 3.1.7 in case I need to test stuff on that version. I have just updated to 3.2.0 and tried to make it happen, I got the exact same error I got on my computer. I've never used her computer for anything related to DM or creating modules and messing with rulesets, she only uses it to join the games I host.

If anybody else could check how the Defeated Markers are doing on their 3.2.0 FG I'd appreciate.

Ikael
October 28th, 2016, 20:55
No I don't, and just deleted CoreRPG and let the updater download it once again.
I always get a "Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_tokenmarker.lua"]:118: attempt to index local 'tokenPlaceholder' (a nil value)" when I delete a token with the Defeated markers option on.
It even happened to me while I was a recording a video showing 3.20 new features for combat, I forgot to turn off the Defeater Markers and the error popped up. ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hjpH1SBVo8&t=26m30s )

However, It's not the first time I'm the only having an issue with Defeated Markers, in the past I had a bug that couldn't be solved by reinstalling FG. I had to do a complete windows reinstall for it to work again, once bugged.
Then I figured out I could "just" delete Fantasy Grounds, remove all FG entries on my registry and then reinstall for the Defeated Markers to work. I know, seems weird, but happened more than once.

I'll have a friend test it, if it's working fine for him I'll do a complete reinstall.

Edit: Just tested it on my wife's computer. I keep her computer on 3.1.7 in case I need to test stuff on that version. I have just updated to 3.2.0 and tried to make it happen, I got the exact same error I got on my computer. I've never used her computer for anything related to DM or creating modules and messing with rulesets, she only uses it to join the games I host.

If anybody else could check how the Defeated Markers are doing on their 3.2.0 FG I'd appreciate.

Defeated Marker feature depends on invisible 1x1 transparent token. Previously this token was included in to SavageWorlds ruleset but in v3.2 the token is available in CoreRPG ruleset and was removed from SavageWorlds ruleset. This change is the one causing your issue but I really don't know why. In SavageWorlds ruleset the invisible token is referenced with
local INVISIBLE_PLACEHOLDER_TOKEN = "ruleset/CoreRPG/tokens/transparent_1x1.png"
ie. SavageWorlds ruleset is reading something from CoreRPG ruleset. In my case this works as expected. If I change that line to something else I get the same error as you.

Dr0W
October 29th, 2016, 06:26
Defeated Marker feature depends on invisible 1x1 transparent token. Previously this token was included in to SavageWorlds ruleset but in v3.2 the token is available in CoreRPG ruleset and was removed from SavageWorlds ruleset. This change is the one causing your issue but I really don't know why. In SavageWorlds ruleset the invisible token is referenced with
local INVISIBLE_PLACEHOLDER_TOKEN = "ruleset/CoreRPG/tokens/transparent_1x1.png"
ie. SavageWorlds ruleset is reading something from CoreRPG ruleset. In my case this works as expected. If I change that line to something else I get the same error as you.

Thx for the info, just checked everything and re-download both rulesets (Core and SW). No extensions enabled, no folders with content just the pak. Didn't work.

Extracted both to folders, checked that infact the transparent_1x1.png was actually there and the reference to the token "ruleset/CoreRPG/tokens/transparent_1x1.png" was correct. Everything was placed where they were supposed to be, but it didn't work.

Then I moved the transparent_1x1.png back to the SW Ruleset and changed the reference to "ruleset/SavageWorlds/tokens/transparent_1x1.png" where I put it and... it worked.

I don't know why it doesn't work when it references to CoreRPG, but it does work if it's in the same place but inside SW Ruleset. Any ideas?

Ikael
October 29th, 2016, 07:48
Can you post this issue to v3.2 test release thread? I suspect we need MoonWizard to look at this

Dr0W
October 30th, 2016, 02:49
Can you post this issue to v3.2 test release thread? I suspect we need MoonWizard to look at this

Yea, I posted it there and even updated my problem. Today it stopped working again and made me notice it wasn't about where the token is. I got the problem on video and how I fixed it: https://youtu.be/i-FZsbmPWAw

So basically it wouldn't work unless I did the /reload command, closing and opening FG did nothing. After that I booted my other computer and it wasn't working as expected. I didn't change any files or rulesets (since it should be working by default), I simply tried the /reload command and the Defeated Markers worked.

I think after the change of locations from SW to CoreRPG it broke my Defeated Markers (And I even kept moving back to 3.1.7 and updating again), and I think that somehow it was still looking for the placeholder on the wrong place even though the .lua file was pointing the right direction, but only the /reload command fixed it.

Moon Wizard
October 30th, 2016, 04:41
Yeah, it was an issue with the main app. I had to rearrange a bunch of initialization code for token loading, and the ruleset token loading needed to get moved too. Just pushed v3.2.0 update to fix.

Regards,
JPG