PDA

View Full Version : Holy Water as an attack

Gwydion
October 14th, 2016, 21:58
Ok, so I think I made this way too complicated. I wanted to set up holy water as a weapon/power. The undead in the campaign I am running are vulnerable to radiant damage (as I think all undead are). However, holy water says it does 2d6 radiant damage to undead. So, I don't think it is intended that you would "double" this damage for their vulnerability. I think that is built into the 2d6.

So, I built a power for holy water with a ranged attack (see screenshot attachment). I gave +3 as the cleric is proficient with all simple weapons (including darts, shortbow, etc..) and he has Dex of 13 (+1). I put the damage at 0. I included an effect with IFT: TYPE(undead); DMG: 1d6 radiant.

So, I have the cleric target the undead and hit the attack button. If he hits I have him click the effect button and then hit the damage icon. When he does this if the creature he targeted was undead it will do 1d6 doubled. Meaning, if I roll at 4 it will do 8 as undead are vulnerable to radiant. If he targeted something he thought was undead but wasn't, it will do no damage.

Thoughts? Am I an idiot and making this too complicated like I thought? :)

Zacchaeus
October 14th, 2016, 22:34
Not all undead are vulnerable to radiant damage so I see no reason why one that is so vulnerable doesn't take double damage from holy water if 'normal' take 2d6. So your effect is correct except I'd change the damage to 2d6.

thedougalbug
October 14th, 2016, 22:36
I agree with Zacc,

Looking at it, Holy Water would do at least 2d6 radiant damage to all undead, those that are applicable to take more radiant damage would receive more damage!

And to regular folks it'll just make them wet

Gwydion
October 14th, 2016, 22:43
Thanks guys!

El Condoro
October 15th, 2016, 01:07
Holy water costs 25gp and takes a fair amount of resources to make (PHB pp. 151-2) - you'd want to it to do a heck of a lot of damage considering there is a chance that 25gp will splash on the floor if you miss! :)

I'd allow splash damage, too, or for it to be poured on a surface to hinder the movement of undead but that's just a house rule.

Gwydion
October 15th, 2016, 02:04
Holy water costs 25gp and takes a fair amount of resources to make (PHB pp. 151-2) - you'd want to it to do a heck of a lot of damage considering there is a chance that 25gp will splash on the floor if you miss! :)

I'd allow splash damage, too, or for it to be poured on a surface to hinder the movement of undead but that's just a house rule.

Yep, I completely understand. Only issue here is that the adventure gives the players 10 vials of holy water from an NPC. Clearly I have a lot of options. I can reduce the number of vials given to them, I can leave everything as is, etc.

damned
October 15th, 2016, 02:11
Let them bathe in it! Dont stress on it - if they are finding it too easy add an extra to each encounter.

Gwydion
October 15th, 2016, 02:12
Let them bathe in it! Dont stress on it - if they are finding it too easy add an extra to each encounter.

Yep. Good advice!