PDA

View Full Version : Creating a Linkable List

Lee S.
September 14th, 2005, 05:32
Hello, I'm currently attempting to code an Eberron Ruleset. I've gotten the easy stuff out of the way...new races and the new core class. The next thing on my list to do is start inputting feats. Before I begin, I thought I should ask if there is a way to break feats up by type?

What I mean is breaking the feats down into their categories:

General
Metamagic
Metapsionic
Psionic
Item Creation
Shifter
Warforged
Divine
etc...

I would like to have this be on the main pageof the feats entry and then the various feat categories be on their own linked sub pages. How should I do this?

Big Edit - I've just gotten around to reading the news over at Codemonkey Publishing. It seems they've already released the first of their Official WoTC modules for FG (YAY!). I think they're going to be doing Rulesets as well, but as of this moment that is unconfirmed. I believe that the data monkies are some of the top notch coders in the geek world and have nothing but respect for their work...I own quite a bit of it. THat being said, I still want to at least figure out this method of linking information. I'd like to be able to say that I completed the ruleset (though it would be far subpar compared to CMP's work).

Lee S.
September 14th, 2005, 10:33
Here is a list of things I have tried and things that I'm toying with.

I started off by rearranging the Core Feats into their various sections and attempted to make sub-nodes.

<root>
<node name="feats">
<node name="feats">
<node name="General Feats">
<formattedtext name="General Feats">
<h>ACROBATIC &#91;GENERAL&#93;</h>
I didn't think this would work but I figured since I'm basically starting as a novice, this would be a good place to start. It didn't work.

Next, I tried various variations of the above method with no luck. Then I happened across a post here on the boards relating to making links in documents. It was a very old post with no end result. I ultimately took a break and came back a bit more refreshed. I just happened to remember that there are links to Spell Lists on the bard and sorcerer pages. I knew this because I play a sorcerer and had been working with the bard data earlier as a template for the artificer. I found this line in the bard data:

<linklist><link class="spelllist" recordname="bard">Bard spell list</link></linklist>

I attempted to alter this line, resulting with the following in my feats file:

<root>
<node name="feats">
<node name="feats">
<formattedtext name="text">
<linklist><link class="featlist" recordname="general">General Feats</link></linklist>

Now, I think this can be fruitful if I can figure out how to force the feat data into a list similar to the general spell lists, making each feat have a mini description and be clickable to reveal the full text.

At this point, I'm going to bed. I will attempt to resume progress tomorrow. Any input is very welcome. I may be going at this all wrong.

BnaaUK
September 14th, 2005, 13:45
Digital Adventures released the Complete SRD which has done feats in a different way and its easier to work with.

Lee S.
September 15th, 2005, 03:05
Oh? I didn't know that! I'll check it out!

Indivi_duel
December 29th, 2005, 16:26
tell me when a working eberron rule set is availeble!

GatewayTraveller
January 2nd, 2006, 18:41
If a Tutorial could be added that explains this concept, as I wish to make a custom ruleset based on Traveller 20. Providing details on links and how they work would be an added boon.

Thanks,