PDA

View Full Version : Ubquity dice macro [ succeses]

brigadier
October 13th, 2016, 21:15
Hi There,

are there any plans to support Ubiquity dice [as used by Hollow Earth Expedition] either as a command line macro or virtual dice.

e.g number of dice @ d2 > 1 = N successes

Thanks

Brig

Trenloe
October 13th, 2016, 21:22
Does this command line extension cover it?

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?31425-Basic-success-counting-extension

brigadier
October 13th, 2016, 21:54
Yes ! that looks exactly what I was thinking. Thanks a lot - i'll try it out.

brigadier
October 14th, 2016, 09:26
morning -- I tried the extension - thank you -- it didn't quite match the Ubiquity mechanic.

Ubiquity works on the concept of even numbers = a success. [ broadly a 50/50 chance on any die] i tried /sucessess 1d2 2 but a d2 does not seem to be supported. Have i used it correctly ? also may i ask if the source is available to look at.

Thank you.

Brigs

Maspalio
October 14th, 2016, 10:16
It's a bit more complex than it seems when it comes to Ubiquity dice. I'm currently (painfully) working on a similar system.

In the case of Ubiquity, you've got to count successes on a 50/50 basis, but also to substract that pool from the Difficulty to get the quality of your success, wich may be a failure in the end. Some actions are fixed to [variable # of Successes] to succeed.

So if you roll a D6, 1/2/3 will be a failure and 4/5/6 a susccess for example. Then you have to change the Stack Modifier to work as a Difficulty target to substract to your number of successes. Then you'll announce the final result in the Chat window.

And you still want to keep the Modifiers because some actions modifiers give you more or less dice in your pool.

Doable, but you'll have to create a full extension imo.

Maspalio
October 14th, 2016, 10:29
And as i wondered myself how to adapt the Ubiquity system a few months ago, here are my last thoughts on it : it needs the three blue, red and white dice to be perfect. So this is 3 dice with different behavior to create.

Based on D8 :
• the blue die can roll three successes, with 0,1,1,1,2,2,2,3 successes
• the red die can roll two successes, with 0,0,1,1,1,1,2,2 successes
• the white die can roll one success, with 0,0,0,0,1,1,1,1 success

Then the player can build pool using 1,2, or 3 successes die to avoid rolling a bucket of dice.

Trenloe
October 14th, 2016, 18:36
morning -- I tried the extension - thank you -- it didn't quite match the Ubiquity mechanic.

Ubiquity works on the concept of even numbers = a success. [ broadly a 50/50 chance on any die] i tried /sucessess 1d2 2 but a d2 does not seem to be supported. Have i used it correctly ?
The quick extension I put together only appears to support physical dice (I didn't realise that), I'll take a look sometime soon.

also may i ask if the source is available to look at.
The code is all in the extension file. Rename from .ext to .zip and unzip the files and take a look.

Some info and links you'll find useful diving into ruleset code: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20651-Modifying-the-CoreRPG-ruleset

damned
October 15th, 2016, 02:19
This might do it using Maspalios alternate method (using 1-5 and 6-10 instead of odds and evens...) and an extension by Frostbyte (leveraging off others extensions) that has been incorporated into MoreCore...

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15645&d=1476494353

brigadier
October 15th, 2016, 11:36
The code is all in the extension file. Rename from .ext to .zip and unzip the files and take a look. Some info and links you'll find useful diving into ruleset code: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20651-Modifying-the-CoreRPG-ruleset

Thanks for that -- i changed the following lines in the dropDiceResults function in the lua script to check the modulus [2] returns 0; then loaded it as an extension and it appears to work ( albeit ignoring the target number ). Bit rough and ready.

for _,v in ipairs(rRoll.aDice) do
if v.result % 2 == 0 then
-- if v.result >= nSuccessLevel then
nSuccesses = nSuccesses + 1;
end

i don't know Lua (my background is Java, and a few other languages) I'll read the guides on developing etc. but might use this as a quick hack for the moment assuming it works -- i haven't tested it other than running it a few times 15656