PDA

View Full Version : DnD 5E Tokens are done

hagrid70
October 13th, 2016, 15:57
Moderator: Moved to 5e forum where it'll get more exposure I feel.

I have completed a 72 token set of images intended for VTT and FG specifically
my GM has been lavish in his supply of characters, critters and maps, but i have noticed a lack of tokens for persistent spell effects, spiritual weapon, flaming sphere, spike growth etc.. and the list goes on.
so i have sat down and catagorised a list of persistant effects, which:
are not instant. (and therefore last more than one round)
have consistent effects (which look the same for every casting)
are viable in VTT combat
are NOT insanely large, and/or would NOT cover most or all of a battlemap.

i came up with about 65ish spells from the PHB, and with variations from casting, and a cutoff determined by filesize, locked off at 72 icons. (including a bunch of variations to deal with the versatility of walls)
these have been created with attention to spell description, attention to casting size, filesize, and the requirement of FG as it currenltly stands to have 100% clear space under or around character tokens to be able to select them cleanly and easily. a challenge to have both visual material and also clear space in every square.
hopefully this lot fits the bill.
theyre up now in DMSG for any that wish to have a squiz, (look for "spell tokens")

Id be grateful for feedback from the crew, because i think that as the platform improves there is a world of scope to improve the impact of this sort of icon, with variable transparency, top- bottom layering, selection options, and ultimately with animation. which would look amazing and emersive in game :D
and:
all the best everyone, happy hunting :D

Zacchaeus
October 13th, 2016, 16:21
You could provide a link to the DMSG entry you know :)

And if you do I'll sticky the post. :)

MarianDz
October 13th, 2016, 17:38
WOW Im without words :ninja:

exist some kind of video on YouTube how to use this kind of tokens?

MarianDz
October 13th, 2016, 20:24
Nice work, buyed :)

Trenloe
October 13th, 2016, 20:28
Nice work. Link to DMSGuild: https://www.dmsguild.com/product/195599/Dungeons-and-Dragons-5e-Spell-Tokens

Zacchaeus
October 13th, 2016, 20:43
Thanks Trenloe and stickied.

Gwydion
October 13th, 2016, 21:51
Just purchased and am looking at it now. Looks very cool! Thanks for creating and sharing!

drakonin
October 13th, 2016, 21:54
Just purchased and am looking at it now. Looks very cool! Thanks for creating and sharing!

Same!

GunbunnyFuFu
October 13th, 2016, 22:14
Just purchased it. Very, very cool and very useful!! Great job!

JohnD
October 13th, 2016, 22:16
Will be buying tonight.

GunbunnyFuFu
October 13th, 2016, 22:28
Question...when putting down a flaming sphere, all is OK. When putting down an entangle (20 ft square), the token initially appears big, then occupies a 5 foot square. What am I doing wrong? The art is awesome...looking forward to using these!

Nickademus
October 13th, 2016, 23:15
I imagine you have auto-scaling on and FG is scaling it to the default of a 5' space. Hold Ctrl and hover the cursor over the spell token, then scroll the mouse wheel until it reaches the appropriate size.

hagrid70
October 13th, 2016, 23:28
youd have to ask a GM im affraid, for i am but a humble player. :D

Gwydion
October 13th, 2016, 23:58
Question...when putting down a flaming sphere, all is OK. When putting down an entangle (20 ft square), the token initially appears big, then occupies a 5 foot square. What am I doing wrong? The art is awesome...looking forward to using these!

Yep, what Nickademus said. I also just click on the spell token once it is place on the map, right-click on the token and select "reset individual token scale". Just don't click "release token scale" as everything will resize!

hagrid70
October 14th, 2016, 00:12
my only frustration with these tokens is that they make selecting character tokens on the map SLIGHTLY more fiddley. FG does not yet allow layering, where one token defaults to over or under another.
i have the impression that whatever was selected last, is on top. hence me not using volumetric effects and making sure that theres empty space distributed thru all the artwork.

Zacchaeus
October 14th, 2016, 00:21
What you need is this! (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20231-Enhanced-Images-%28layers%29-for-FG-3-0-CoreRPG-%28and-rulesets-based-on-CoreRPG%29)

hagrid70
October 14th, 2016, 00:26
i think youve shown me this before sir. i have asked the few GMs i know about its use and a couple use it and like it, and a couple dont. therefore i have tried to create a set that works without this tool, tho its use might make things a little easier :D

Zacchaeus
October 14th, 2016, 00:28
I haven't used it either but with these tokens of yours I think it's time I gave it a go since without it there's going to be problems with token selection no doubt about that.

Trenloe
October 14th, 2016, 00:57
I haven't used it either but with these tokens of yours I think it's time I gave it a go since without it there's going to be problems with token selection no doubt about that.
Give it a go - just make sure you've read (and understood) the process and gotchas outlines in posts #1 and #2 of the extension thread. And note - in the present release, only the GM can interact with tokens on the lower two levels, so the GM would have to place/move spell effect tokens if needed, not the players. I'm planning and update sometime soon to introduce an effects layer that the players can interact with (if the GM allows). But don't wait for that, use the current version of the extension.

hagrid70
October 14th, 2016, 00:59
wheres my goddamned LIKE button :D

rob2e
October 14th, 2016, 04:20
Purchased. Testing tomorrow...

LordEntrails
October 14th, 2016, 04:57
I'll be playing with them tomorrow too (with the layers extension v2). I really like how most of them look. Will let you know how they work and what my players think.

hagrid70
October 14th, 2016, 07:37
id like to take a minute to thank everyone that has grabbed these. i hope they exceeed your expectations and enhance your gameplay. thank you all for your feedback.

Nulk
October 14th, 2016, 07:45
Purchased and reviewed. Good work Gareth, quality as always mate.

hagrid70
October 14th, 2016, 08:30
cheers buddy.

Talen
October 14th, 2016, 12:52
I purchased these as well and love the look ...going t oder if I can make use of them in a couple con games this weekend. If you are contemplating a new project and taking suggestions, I'd love to see something similar for different traps and obstacles.

hagrid70
October 14th, 2016, 12:59
thats an interesting idea sir, thank you for your feedback. i must say that im busy with dragons lairs,shops, gothic wilderness and aberation lairs right now... so... i think i have enuf passion projects to last me til the end of year. ask me again in a few months and if i havnt gone completely mad by then... :D

NotRussellCrowe
October 14th, 2016, 14:38
These are amazing, and coupled with Trenloe's extension they will be a perfect addition to my CoS campaign starting next week!

I look forward to your future tokens.

Happy gaming!

drakonin
October 14th, 2016, 19:20
These are amazing, and coupled with Trenloe's extension they will be a perfect addition to my CoS campaign starting next week!

I look forward to your future tokens.

Happy gaming!

What extension?

rob2e
October 14th, 2016, 19:26
What extension?

See post #5

Trenloe
October 14th, 2016, 20:15
What extension?
Thread here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20231-Enhanced-Images-(layers)-for-FG-3-0-CoreRPG-(and-rulesets-based-on-CoreRPG)

Give it a go - just make sure you've read (and understood) the process and gotchas outlines in posts #1 and #2 of the extension thread. And note - in the present release, only the GM can interact with tokens on the lower two levels, so the GM would have to place/move spell effect tokens if needed, not the players. I'm planning and update sometime soon to introduce an effects layer that the players can interact with (if the GM allows). But don't wait for that, use the current version of the extension.

hagrid70
October 14th, 2016, 21:31
thanks man.

LordEntrails
October 14th, 2016, 23:18
So here's my feedback;
- No token for Ice Storm :( we used sleet storm instead
- We used Spiritual Guardian a lot. Some maps it showed up well on, others, not so. It's hard to scale it. I've put in the 70dpi images. Which when toekn scale is reset, usually doesn't line up size wise with any of the maps. Many maps are at 50 pixel/5 feet and others are just whatever (since their is no required scale). Being able to select the ring took some getting used to and then using the scroll wheel to size it worked well enough.

I forgot to load the layers extension, so did not get to use that.

Trenloe
October 14th, 2016, 23:23
I forgot to load the layers extension, so did not get to use that.
Runs in, slaps LordEntrails on the forehead, leaves quickly.

hagrid70
October 14th, 2016, 23:37
thanks man for taking the time to send feedback. lets run thru this lot :D
okies: ice storm is not included because it is an instantanious spell, and this set is persistant effects. likewise you will not find fireball...but you will find delayed blast fireball.
i always figured that loading a token just long enuf to show the players and then removing it would be a giant pain in the arse for a DM. therefore: persistant effects only.

in the event that FG creates layering, or on the advice of a couple of dms i trust, i MIGHT append some of these tokens with drop shadows, so they might read cleaner, but this will
mess with their selectability, and right now its going to have to be functionality, ahead of form. (making these things denser, messes with their interaction with character tokens currently, without trenloes plugin, which shoud not be... 'compulsory')

finally token size: ive been told that 70 pix per square is as generic as maps get, and even so: its never a hard and fast rule. i have therefore consistently created all my maps and these tokens and my ongoing unreleased work (which you will be able to see soon) at either 70 pixels per square (cm, 5 feet etc) or at 140... twice the density.
i hope this explains some of the rationalle behind why the product is as it is. and i appreciate that you took the time to write me :D feedback is gold for improving work :D

LordEntrails
October 14th, 2016, 23:52
Ice storm does has a persistent effect, only for one turn though.

Hailstones turn the storm's area of effect into difficult terrain until the end o f your next turn.

Not a big deal imo, but did want to point it out.

Completely agree about functionality over looks. Don't know if a drop shadow could make it easier to select the effect token or just make it harder to select the creature tokens. Don't know. We did find it hard to select the SG token, though it got easier with practice. I don't know where the trade off is and actually would suggest you don't worry too much about it. Just something to be aware of. Also agree that no extensions should be needed.

I understand about the token size. And don't have any better solution or approach than what you have done, I just wanted to point it out. Until tokens have a property (such as size), I don't think there is a better approach. Not sure how you might assign a size type property to a token, as you would want it embedded in the image itself and I don't know if png or jpg formats support any such thing.

Have to say, my players (who are often reluctant to use anything new) seemed to enjoy using them.

hagrid70
October 14th, 2016, 23:56
i hope my response didnt come across aggro :D ive only tried to explain the tradeoffs and design choices ive had to make during the creaton process, in the hope they seem sane, reasonable, and possibly well thought out :D
i shall create you an ice storm token. :D

Trenloe
October 14th, 2016, 23:57
in the event that FG creates layering
FYI - this will *not* happen in the standard release (i.e. no community extension) of FG in the current architecture. I'm sure it will be possible in the Unity release, but maybe not even in the initial Unity release - which is still a way off. So, I'd recommend you cater for what people have to use now and not wait for some mythical layering functionality.

hagrid70
October 14th, 2016, 23:59
exactly my thoughts sir.

Zacchaeus
October 15th, 2016, 00:08
You could give them a size if you created an appropriately sized NPC and gave it the token. I haven't had a chance to play around with these or Trenloe's extension yet so I don't know if that works.

LordEntrails
October 15th, 2016, 00:39
No aggro received and hopefully none given :)

Normally I wouldn't put down a token for a one round effect, just this time we had 60 creatures in the tracker so a turn was a really long time :)

I appreciate you sharing your thought process. You seem receptive, so wanted to give you as much info as I could.

hagrid70
October 16th, 2016, 01:03
156991570015700 there you go lads, and ladettes... have an ice storm.

NotRussellCrowe
October 16th, 2016, 01:08
156991570015700 there you go lads, and ladettes... have an ice storm.

You rock! Thank you so very much for the on-going support.

hagrid70
October 16th, 2016, 01:15
that will be ONE MEELLEYUN DOLLARS and a ticket to paris.1570215702

NotRussellCrowe
October 16th, 2016, 01:17
that will be ONE MEELLEYUN DOLLARS and a ticket to paris.1570215702

Sure, but I pay with Canadian dollars which aren't worth much these days ;)

LordEntrails
October 16th, 2016, 01:56
Awesome, thanks!

MarianDz
October 16th, 2016, 08:59
Thank you "Hagrid70" for adding this ICE STORM to your pack :)

hagrid70
October 16th, 2016, 14:25
this work is a labour of love, until it becomes financially viable anyways... therefore: youre most welcome, out of empathy... and eventually, most welcome out of proper customer support :D (who wouldnt want to eek out an existance making eye candy for a game system they adore :D)

markdowney
October 16th, 2016, 17:09
These look fantastic, exactly what I needed for my campaign. Thank you hagrid70!

markdowney
October 16th, 2016, 17:10
By the way, I turned them into a FG mod, let me know if you would want them to post on dmsguild with the purchase!

LordEntrails
October 16th, 2016, 17:55
Good idea @markdowney. I was thinking should they be two mods, one for each resolution?

Gwydion
October 16th, 2016, 18:10
I uesd the spiritual weapon token last night in one of my fights and it was pretty darn cool!

markdowney
October 16th, 2016, 18:11
Yep, that is exactly what I did, one called large another called small :)

hagrid70
October 16th, 2016, 20:15
does that autosize the tokens or something?

markdowney
October 16th, 2016, 20:24
It doesn't auto size them, but it names the token bag so you know which is which

hagrid70
October 16th, 2016, 20:26
oh ok, having only ever been a player i have no idea how the back end of being a DM works :D

LordEntrails
October 17th, 2016, 02:01
I've used these tokens through all three FG Con games I ran. Multiple comments on how much the players like them. Flaming sphere works pretty good for showing a house on fire *G*

hagrid70
October 17th, 2016, 07:11
i guess i shouldnt be supprised :P

markdowney
October 17th, 2016, 19:06
For those who already purchased it from dmsguild - Check for an update @hagrid70 posted FG mod files!

hagrid70
October 17th, 2016, 22:04
does it not send out a msg when i update the files?? disapointing, and something to remember, thank you.

Trenloe
October 17th, 2016, 22:08
does it not send out a msg when i update the files??
It does. As long as the user hasn't disabled publisher notifications.

markdowney
October 17th, 2016, 22:12
does it not send out a msg when i update the files?? disapointing, and something to remember, thank you.

You would think it would, but I have never for any of the items I have bought on dmsguild or any of the sister sites. Maybe it goes to spam though.

Trenloe
October 17th, 2016, 22:17
Yep, check your junk/spam folder.

And check what your default Publisher Contact Options setting is here: https://www.dmsguild.com/account_contact_options.php

Koreapsu
October 18th, 2016, 07:06
Great work mate! I didn't see this post. Looks like all that work was worth it - people seem to like the results.

Everyone else - wait until you see his new map packs...they are ridiculous.

MarianDz
October 18th, 2016, 08:26
Is ICE STORM included in this new .MOD pack?

hagrid70
October 18th, 2016, 09:28
frankly i have no idea :D i suspect not but if... oh wait, yes apparently, mark was kind enuf to add them into the MOD files. tho i have not added it to the imagesets yet... so... its in the .MOD files but not in the imagesets.
i have been busy finnishing some forges, merchants, and dangerously vertigineous chasm trails.

Tabarkus
October 19th, 2016, 17:21
Thanks for the work, got these the other week but wanted to play with them a bit before commenting. The artwork is awesome. I'm still struggling to get them to size properly, it seems my 20' radius tokens are either 15.5 ft radius or 30 ft radius regardless of my token size settings in FG options. The only other thing I would love to see is a "portrait" token for Guardian of Faith instead of a "top down"; or make that "in addition too".

A related question: does anyone know if additional NPC sizes are possible beyond the standard D&D settings of tiny, small, medium, etc.?

Trenloe
October 19th, 2016, 17:36
A related question: does anyone know if additional NPC sizes are possible beyond the standard D&D settings of tiny, small, medium, etc.?
Not without changing the ruleset code with an extension.

For these tokens you're best using CTRL+mousewheel on the individual tokens on the map to size them correctly. See "Scaling" here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Tokens#Scaling Linking them to dummy NPC records in the combat tracker (if that's what you're doing) is overkill and will get messy fast.

LordEntrails
October 19th, 2016, 19:24
As Trenloe says, mouse scaling is the best method. I've found this usually works quite well. But very occasionally, it has problems on maps of unusual scale. Because the mouse wheel scales by 1/10 factors, if you have a map with only a scale of something like 10 px/square, then when you scale the token (using one of the 70 px tokens), each 1/10 that you can change the scaling by is 7 pixels, which might mean you end up with 7 or 14 pixels when you really want 10.

Most of my maps are 50px, so I'm able to get the tokens to something like 49 pixels, which works well. But, again, depending upon the token you are using and the map resolution, you might end up with something pretty far off.

rob2e
October 19th, 2016, 20:02
It seems (for those that don't already know) that when placing a token on any size grid, you can "reset individual token scale" and then use CTRL-scroll to resize tokens to any size. It's a pain in the arse, but it allows you to use these tokens on ANY map.

Trenloe
October 19th, 2016, 20:45
It seems (for those that don't already know) that when placing a token on any size grid, you can "reset individual token scale" and then use CTRL-scroll to resize tokens to any size. It's a pain in the arse, but it allows you to use these tokens on ANY map.
Yeah, we've kinda been saying this above. And you don't actually need to do the "reset individual token scale" step, because as soon as you start resizing with CTRL+Mousewheel the preset scale is broken and you're scaling just that token.

rob2e
October 19th, 2016, 20:47
Yeah, we've kinda been saying this above. And you don't actually need to do the "reset individual token scale" step, because as soon as you start resizing with CTRL+Mousewheel the preset scale is broken and you're scaling just that token.

Is there a better solution?

Trenloe
October 19th, 2016, 20:58
Is there a better solution?
Not if you want auto sizing for creature tokens based off their size.

Or (could be lots of up-front work here): if you make sure all of your token files are scaled appropriately (e.g. 50 pixels per 5 feet) you could turn off auto token scaling and then use the older method of scaling one token to the map, lock token scale and then all of the other tokens will be the right size. See the third paragraph here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Tokens#Scaling

As an aside: I've been looking at modifying the layers extension to add an effects layer that both the GM and players can access - allowing the players to add things like flaming sphere, spiritual weapon and other spell effects that move. If I can reliably code additional right-click menu options, I'm going to try to have a bunch of "auto-scale" options - 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 and 30 feet diameter, for example. But this could be a little way off yet... I also have in mind that I might "try" to synch up a lighting token to track the movement of a specific player token on the top layer - but this might just be a pipe dream... Which would lead me to a feature request for Hagrid, which I'll put in the next post.

Trenloe
October 19th, 2016, 20:59
@hagrid70 - Would it be possible to get some lighting effect tokens to show the reach of various common light sources please? Normal light, dim light radii etc. would be super cool. :)

rob2e
October 19th, 2016, 21:13
@hagrid70 - Would it be possible to get some lighting effect tokens to show the reach of various common light sources please? Normal light, dim light radii etc. would be super cool. :)

Yeah that.

Gwydion
October 19th, 2016, 21:19

+1!

hagrid70
October 19th, 2016, 22:37
my inclination here is actually to say NO. not out of some inherent unwillingness. but in response to what might be an impossible request.
because: we cannot determine token layer order without a plugin, which means all effects need sizable holes of clear space thru them for your mouse to 'see' a character, OR when you move a character into the same space as an effect, you will then loose all control. so any 'good' lighting effect, will destroy character control. this is why the big aura spell tkens have such spidery thin lines in thier centers, instead of soft radient glows.

FG does not respect partial transparency, i actually built half these tokens using a MUCH cooler art style, before i realised this and had to redo the crap out of everything. and cut giant holes thru evertything etc.
i can send you some radient circular effects. (easily) but if youre going to try to set up luminance or something like that, ahm. it might be better to have a PM or a skype chat or an email about what youre going to try, and how youre going to try it, so i can give you what you need. this also gives me some ideas about movable fo of war and sight radius etc. but thats for another time.

if you want to try somethint clever im happy to try to help.

Trenloe
October 19th, 2016, 22:52
The reason why I asked is based off my comment in post #73 above - so I can look into putting these on a separate layer. Now, I know your feeling on the layer extension (you've had good and bad feedback on it), but I'd like to give it a try. Happy to start with a couple of examples. I'd do it myself but I'm terrible with any form of art that isn't CAD! ;)

LordEntrails
October 19th, 2016, 23:41
Not any size, that's what I was getting at. You can only size them in 10% increments. If you token pixels are much higher than your map, the intervals can be too large to fit well.

Most of the time, 10% is just fine. But I did run into one map during FG con where it wasn't. Not a token issue, it was a map issue.

Trenloe
October 20th, 2016, 03:15
This is what I've been mentioning with light tokens: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34552-Today-I-have-mostly-been-working-on-(light-effects)

damned
October 20th, 2016, 04:06
Trenloe do you have anything particular in mind? I may be able to help. It wont be anything as nice as hagrid70's though....

Trenloe
October 20th, 2016, 04:24
Trenloe do you have anything particular in mind? I may be able to help. It wont be anything as nice as hagrid70's though....
Quickly looking through the 5E SRD, I see the following:

5 foot bright + 5 foot dim. Candle.
20 foot bright + 20 foot dim. Torch, magical light.
30 foot bright + 30 foot dim. Hooded lantern and some brighter magical light.
60 foot bright + 60 foot dim. Daylight spell.
15 foot bright + 30 foot dim. Lamp
5 foot dim - Hooded lantern when hooded.
60 foot cone bright + 60 foot cone dim. Bullseye lantern.
60 foot vision. Darkvision.

One 60 bright + 60 dim would cover the first 4 as I could scale it.
Then something to cover the final 4 would give us most options covered.

hagrid70
October 20th, 2016, 04:54
here you go TRENLOE, and if the rest of you guys could NOT embarrass me by adding these to15772 your campaigns, that would be great. theyre placeholders for testing only.15772

hagrid70
October 20th, 2016, 05:00
and the other one wont load because who knows :D

Trenloe
October 20th, 2016, 05:08
and the other one wont load because who knows :D
Very cool. Thanks.

A quick test looks good. I'll play around more tomorrow.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15773

Koreapsu
October 20th, 2016, 06:20
That actually looks really good.

hagrid70
October 20th, 2016, 06:33
i also had a counter intuitive idea where you have a HUGE token which is entirely black with a hole in it, to simulate fog of war or lantern radius. problem is that for a party that spreads out, if those holes spread to far, you just end up with an entirely black map, and it only takes... say ONE player lingering at the edge of the map to do this.

koreapsu: did you check out that wee clip he created with the tokens sticking to the characters?

i can see this being a boon for fire shields, paladin protection radii etc ( theres another damned token to make)

damned
October 20th, 2016, 06:49
i can see this being a boon for fire shields, paladin protection radii etc ( theres another damned token to make)

thou shall not use my name in vain!

hagrid70
October 20th, 2016, 06:50
Lol!

Koreapsu
October 20th, 2016, 09:52
koreapsu: did you check out that wee clip he created with the tokens sticking to the characters?

Oh I might have to look into this. It looks good, and not DM controlled, so even better!

hagrid70
October 20th, 2016, 10:05
is it possible i wonder to put info into a mod that will autosize a token to character size x some number, and character position as a center.
and then lock or unlock movement, so the effect autosizes to the right scale, centers on the caster, and then locks to its caster, OR can be moved off the caster, to some other place.
that would sort out the scaling issues everyone has mentioned, (less work for ragged DMs) and also allow character centered effects to stay locked to their source.

bnickelsen
October 20th, 2016, 14:39

Chop Chop! :)

An effect layer would be nice. When I tried using this before beyond some of the early issues one thing I had wished for was an item layer. I love to use props like ladders and boxes ect. And I thought it would have been nice if the players could move them around. Could be that an effect layer could be used for both effect and props.

Sure wish I had the tallent to help produce extensions.

LordEntrails
October 20th, 2016, 16:18
Chop Chop! :)

An effect layer would be nice. When I tried using this before beyond some of the early issues one thing I had wished for was an item layer. I love to use props like ladders and boxes ect. And I thought it would have been nice if the players could move them around. Could be that an effect layer could be used for both effect and props.

Sure wish I had the tallent to help produce extensions.
You mean like the Enhanced Images Extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20231-Enhanced-Images-%28layers%29-for-FG-3-0-CoreRPG-%28and-rulesets-based-on-CoreRPG%29)? Right now it doesn't have a player controllable layer for items, but it sounds like such might be soon. (Or maybe it's version 2 that is posted late in the thread as a beta?)

Trenloe
October 20th, 2016, 16:26
is it possible i wonder to put info into a mod that will autosize a token to character size x some number, and character position as a center.
and then lock or unlock movement, so the effect autosizes to the right scale, centers on the caster, and then locks to its caster, OR can be moved off the caster, to some other place.
I do the former in the proof-of-concept currently - when the token is first put on the map by the extension code, FG auto-sizes it to the square just like any other token, the extension code then adjusts the scale. I need to think about how best to portray the end size the token needs to be - maybe a specific filename for the token e.g. "light_30x30.png" or some such (tokens in FG modules don't contain additional FG database info like other module records, so the info would have to be linked to the token file directly - filename or reading image size), or maybe just have some pre-defined token slots that are a certain size.

I am anticipating allowing non-movement locked tokens on the effects layer. Not sure if they will be movable on the layer directly - due to the ever present token stacking issues, or with a small token "handle" on the player layer. I might try both/give both as an option.

I have many plans for this, lots of testing and coding ahead...

hagrid70
October 20th, 2016, 21:04
i will create you some GRID tokens, which are appropriately named for testing then.

hereander
November 4th, 2016, 23:27
hi!
I just purchased and copied the mod into my modules folder but they dont show up in my modules list. Is there anything I should be aware of?

Trenloe
November 4th, 2016, 23:28
I just purchased and copied the mod into my modules folder but they dont show up in my modules list. Is there anything I should be aware of?
Use the "Modules" button in the token window, not in the library to activate token modules. Look for "Dungeons & Dragons 5E Spell Tokens..."

hagrid70
November 4th, 2016, 23:30
im no DM but one of my supporters posted the following;

Once copied into your modules folder in Fantasy Grounds go to your Token section and there is a modules sub section to open. You activate the token set there.

i hope this resolves the question for you sir :D

hagrid70
November 4th, 2016, 23:31
well :D THATS quick off the mark, thanks man.

hereander
November 5th, 2016, 00:24
thnx a lot. never saw that option

hagrid70
January 7th, 2017, 15:12
gentlemen: if i may ask:
a purchaser of these tokens has asked me: The tokens are all one square (five foot in size). I thought they would be appropriate size inside of fantasy grounds? Am I doing something wrong? I have used the control key and mouse to resize them but that seems to lessen the usefulness and value? Should they automatically size to the map? I thought the tokens would be sized for # of squares? I loaded the large and small mod file trying both of them. I did that through the Token Mod load option. Any advice you have would be great.

ditto: id love to know how to advise this person pls, if someone would be so kind.
happy hunting.

NotRussellCrowe
January 7th, 2017, 15:19
gentlemen: if i may ask:
a purchaser of these tokens has asked me: The tokens are all one square (five foot in size). I thought they would be appropriate size inside of fantasy grounds? Am I doing something wrong? I have used the control key and mouse to resize them but that seems to lessen the usefulness and value? Should they automatically size to the map? I thought the tokens would be sized for # of squares? I loaded the large and small mod file trying both of them. I did that through the Token Mod load option. Any advice you have would be great.

ditto: id love to know how to advise this person pls, if someone would be so kind.
happy hunting.

Hi, hagrid70!

Hover your mouse cursor over the token, hold CTRL, then mouse wheel up to make it bigger, down to make it smaller.

hagrid70
January 7th, 2017, 15:29
hi matey, thanks for the quick reply, however this person wants to be able to load these in and have them autosize correctly. he even mentions using the control/wheel to resize in his query.

NotRussellCrowe
January 7th, 2017, 15:31
hi matey, thanks for the quick reply, however this person wants to be able to load these in and have them autosize correctly. he even mentions using the control/wheel to resize in his query.

My apologies, I apparently didn't read/comprehend your entire post. I'm not sure how to get them to drop larger when adding them. I think we'll have to wait for someone more experienced to help out.

hagrid70
January 7th, 2017, 15:35
trenloe, mark, entrails, and zacchaeus have been excellent in that regard, for which i am most grateful.

Andraax
January 7th, 2017, 16:04
If you have a grid on your map, and you have auto-size turned on, then tokens will auto-size for PCs / NPCs.

hagrid70
January 7th, 2017, 16:11
thanks man, i wondered if it might be something like that :D

Andraax
January 7th, 2017, 16:20
You just have to remember to add PCs / NPCs to the combat tracker *first*, then to the map from the CT. (Or, for NPCs, by using the down arrow button from the encounter.)

hagrid70
January 7th, 2017, 16:22
im not a DM i just do eye candy :D but thanks man, i appreciate the support.

Gwydion
January 7th, 2017, 16:26
Hagrid70. I use your tokens all the time and LOVE them. What works for me is that I drop the token on the map. Then I right click on the token and click on the little circle at the top right of the radial menu that pops up (which is "reset individual token scale"). This resets the individual token to the size it should be without having to manually do the ctrl click thing. It also doesn't change the auto-scaling for the pc and npc tokens. Works like a charm for me.

hagrid70
January 7th, 2017, 16:30
thanks mate, i really appreciate that support. may i ask: howd you find the transparency and character token selection with them in play? if FG had some sort of layering going on id have been able to do MUCH MUCH cooler art. i had to cut a lot of detail and lighting to create enuf open space for the PCs and critters.

Gwydion
January 7th, 2017, 16:36
thanks mate, i really appreciate that support. may i ask: howd you find the transparency and character token selection with them in play? if FG had some sort of layering going on id have been able to do MUCH MUCH cooler art. i had to cut a lot of detail and lighting to create enuf open space for the PCs and critters.

I actually always use Trenloe's awesome enhanced layer extension for my campaigns. So, I usually put them on the second (middle) layer. It isn't the most elegant solution as I inevitably put players on the wrong layer at times and also can't set mask visibility for npc's as the npc's need to be on the top layer and the mask layer is on the bottom layer. All that being said, it still works great and I have no complaints. Its just a little more work for me to remember the layers! If the token is something like spiritual weapon or mage hand (which we used on Thursday night's POTA game and the players loved it), i'll put it on the top layer. That way the player can actually control it and show me where they are moving it. If it's on the middle layer I have to move it as they can't access any layer other than the top one. At times it is a little difficult to select the token due to the transparency issue you had to work around but seriously, that is a nit. The tokens are awesome and I love them and the enhanced layer extension.

Hope that is helpful!

hagrid70
January 7th, 2017, 16:42
cheers man. its interesting to see that some DMs love the exention and some dont. i guess part of it depends on how effect heavy your campaign is. i dont know how trenloe made his plugin, and it would be super unfair to count on its implementation for any of my work, but id love to see what we could do with some collusion. it would be a giant pain in the arse but id love to rework the tokens as animated gifs or the like. given a few months of free time :D and some way of including an alpha.

Gwydion
January 7th, 2017, 16:54
cheers man. its interesting to see that some DMs love the exention and some dont. i guess part of it depends on how effect heavy your campaign is. i dont know how trenloe made his plugin, and it would be super unfair to count on its implementation for any of my work, but id love to see what we could do with some collusion. it would be a giant pain in the arse but id love to rework the tokens as animated gifs or the like. given a few months of free time :D and some way of including an alpha.

What I use the layer extension for as well is that I often times play with maps that were not quite intended for fantasy grounds (older modules). So, I tend to add tokens for furniture, campfires and other props to spruce up the maps and I want to make sure they are on a layer where you don't get token stacking issues. It does create more work like I said as I need to flip back to the bottom layer to unmask while players are trying to move and waiting for me to approve, etc.. However, the players seem to really like the enhancement so its worth the extra effort to me.

Nickademus
January 7th, 2017, 18:39
Hagrid70. I use your tokens all the time and LOVE them. What works for me is that I drop the token on the map. Then I right click on the token and click on the little circle at the top right of the radial menu that pops up (which is "reset individual token scale"). This resets the individual token to the size it should be without having to manually do the ctrl click thing. It also doesn't change the auto-scaling for the pc and npc tokens. Works like a charm for me.

This is how the problem is intended to be solved in FG. Pass this on to your follower.

hagrid70
January 7th, 2017, 18:47
i have mate, thank you :D ive pasted it all :D

LordEntrails
January 7th, 2017, 22:51
To give you a more in depth understanding of what's going on.

An image only has number of pixels and dots per inch information embedded inside the file that indicate anything like size. Tokens, when used directly are only image objects (they have no other attributes than what is included in the image file.)

PC's and NPC's have a size attribute, so, when a token is assigned to them, FG knows if this is a small, medium, large, etc sized object. It knows that a medium NPC should have a token that takes up one grid (times the option modifier, typically 80%). Same for other sizes.

When a grid is assigned to a map image, FG knows how many pixels equals one grid (i.e. 50 pixels is often, but not exclusively used). So, when you place a PC or NPC on a map that has a grid and you use the token scale option, FG knows to scale the token (however many pixels it is) to a given size.

For example; on a map with a 50 pixel grid and a 100% scale factor, a medium token gets scaled to 50x50 no matter what the number of pixels in the original token image is.

Placing a token directly on the map, FG has no idea how many pixels an image should be placed to cover. There are two things it can do; a) scale it to a known size (i.e. one grid, and this is what happens with auto scale on), and b) place the token on the map at a 1:1 scale (i.e. if the token is 72x72 pixels, then have it be 72x72, this is what happens with auto scale off.)

As a token designer, there isn't much you can do to account for this. For instance, for a token that should represent a 30 foot radius effect, if you make it (50x6x2) 600x600 pixels, this works great with auto scale off IF AND ONLY IF the map is 50 pixels per grid. If the map is 25, 72, or 100 or anything else, then the token won't appear the correct size until rescaled. Plus, tokens of that size are pretty large file size and memory wise.

For tokens to have their own size value, the FG database would have to be substantially changed (which would not happen before FGU). AND to create a useful token module in FG, not only would you need the image, but someone would have to go add a sizer attribute to each token/image :(

Does that help explain why what the others have said above is how this has to be handled (for the foreseeable future)?

hagrid70
January 7th, 2017, 23:15
yes man, thank you,
i was aware the case was something like this yes. (tho the dm interface is a complete mystery to me of course)
therefore i scaled everything at 70 pixels per square (5ft) (character token) and also in the large tokenset at 140 pixels per square. the relative sizes of the effects are all accurate to this scale and each token is labelled to state its scale. apparently 70 pixels per grid square (5ft) is fairly popular im told. i figures as long as the internal logic was consistent, and everything properly labelled would be the best i could do to accomodate the unknowns that will change from DM to DM and from map to map.
when FGU appears i will probably redo these, if the facility to do so exists. PNGs to the rescue! i guess theres also a bunch of character class specific effects i could put together as well if i get REALLY masochistic when the UA guys have finnished their run of broadening the character options :D animating them is a distant dream because im buggered if i know how to embed an greyscale alpha into an animated gif yet :D but id love to see a fireball 'GO OFF' in game. thank you again for your clarification sir :D

damned
January 8th, 2017, 00:25
yes man, thank you,
i was aware the case was something like this yes. (tho the dm interface is a complete mystery to me of course)
therefore i scaled everything at 70 pixels per square (5ft) (character token) and also in the large tokenset at 140 pixels per square. the relative sizes of the effects are all accurate to this scale and each token is labelled to state its scale. apparently 70 pixels per grid square (5ft) is fairly popular im told. i figures as long as the internal logic was consistent, and everything properly labelled would be the best i could do to accomodate the unknowns that will change from DM to DM and from map to map.
when FGU appears i will probably redo these, if the facility to do so exists. PNGs to the rescue! i guess theres also a bunch of character class specific effects i could put together as well if i get REALLY masochistic when the UA guys have finnished their run of broadening the character options :D animating them is a distant dream because im buggered if i know how to embed an greyscale alpha into an animated gif yet :D but id love to see a fireball 'GO OFF' in game. thank you again for your clarification sir :D

hahaha - I believe 70pixels is popular at that other place. over here 50px is better but the program scales things as above. for the token release scaling to work best on FG 50px/square is your better measurement :)

hagrid70
January 8th, 2017, 00:29
well, dont i just feel like a complete bastard now :P ive scaled everything ive done to 70 pix, from the start to the present..

damned
January 8th, 2017, 00:59
well, dont i just feel like a complete bastard now :P ive scaled everything ive done to 70 pix, from the start to the present..

If your tokens scale nicely to 50px without you having to redo them you might find that either doing that or including that as well might help make using them a little quicker :)
If you have to redo them then its probably way too much effort.

Trenloe
January 8th, 2017, 02:53
To be honest 50 pixels is probably the common use on Fantasy Grounds but people can (and do) use other scaling. The FG guidelines for creating D&D tokens is 100 pixels for a medium creature (1 square), the Shockbolt tokens that come with FG are 128 pixels, 256 for larger creatures (dragons, etc.).

I wouldn't recommend using 50 pixels per square for general release - some people like to zoom in maps to look at the details in a combat and 50 pixels doesn't look great when zoomed in. So, I'd actually recommend using 100 pixels for tokens designed to occupy 1 square - it's better providing more info than removing detail and the file size difference at this resolution is a matter for a handful of KB.

damned
January 8th, 2017, 03:02
My response on 50px was based on this post: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34446-DnD-5E-Tokens-are-done&p=312405&viewfull=1#post312405
and the post it was in response to this question: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34446-DnD-5E-Tokens-are-done&p=312382&viewfull=1#post312382

Trenloe
January 8th, 2017, 03:09
My response on 50px was based on this post: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34446-DnD-5E-Tokens-are-done&p=312405&viewfull=1#post312405
and the post it was in response to this question: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34446-DnD-5E-Tokens-are-done&p=312382&viewfull=1#post312382
That's fine.

My response was as a general guideline and was giving feedback on what would be a good size for public release. It's obvious from this thread that hagrid70 is asking for best practice guidelines and this thread has gone all over the place, so it's very easy to get confused.

hagrid70 please consider the following a good token size set of guidelines based off the creature size the token is representing:

Tiny / Small - 75x75
Medium - 100x100
Large - 200x200
Gargantuan - 300x300

Essentially, the creature they're representing will take up 100 pixels per square. This is a trade off between a relatively good level of detail (resolution) and file size. You can't please all of the people all of the time, and this is a good compromise on the main two things we need to keep in mind for any FG images: file size and image resolution.

LordEntrails
January 8th, 2017, 04:30
Do note, that these tokens are not for creatures, but spell effects. So instead of sizes like medium, large, etc, we are talking Radius 10, 20, or 30 ft. (or sizes of 4x4, 8x8, 12x12 grids).

Trenloe
January 8th, 2017, 04:33
Do note, that these tokens are not for creatures, but spell effects. So instead of sizes like medium, large, etc, we are talking Radius 10, 20, or 30 ft. (or sizes of 4x4, 8x8, 12x12 grids).
Thanks for clarifying. My statement still stands - 100 pixels per square is a good level to aim for.

RCathcart
January 8th, 2017, 14:07
Ya know what would be cool is if somehow these tokens could be actually linked to their spells. like monsters and PCs are to theirs. (Someone has probably already suggested this).

hagrid70
January 8th, 2017, 14:11
i mentioned an extra 'effect' button in the fg interface, so just as you can program in effects, dammage etc that trigger when you hit cast, you could set up a function that could 'call' a token you nominate or choose. i think the feedback for this idea was not to hold my breath :D

RCathcart
January 8th, 2017, 14:59
I think a more straight-forward implementation is to have a token/portrait kind of space on all the spell descriptions. Then there would not be much of any programming, just a template change, really.

LordEntrails
January 8th, 2017, 17:25
These changes are possible, and I hope the Unity version of FG will have them. But, they require changes to the base structure of the application, and in general SmiteWorks has said that significant changes will have to wait until Unity.

That being said, they have made some significant changes (as recently as version 3.2.0) but those were ones that they had made in preparation for Unity and could also implement in both with minimal redundancy of effort/resources. So, make sure your ideas are captured in the wishlist so Moon and Doug are aware of it, etc. https://fg2app.idea.informer.com

Gwydion
January 8th, 2017, 17:53
Ya know what would be cool is if somehow these tokens could be actually linked to their spells. like monsters and PCs are to theirs. (Someone has probably already suggested this).

Ok. Disclaimer first. I am not suggesting this is what anyone should do as there very well may be unintended consequences that people like Trenloe, damned and Lord Entrails might jump in and explain. So, what I'm starting to do is create NPC's for the spell tokens. I created a Spell Token group and am creating NPC's to represent all of the spell tokens. As an example, I created a "Spiritual Weapon" NPC. I then grabbed the token and placed it on the NPC. When I drag the spell onto the PC's sheet to the actions tab, i then open the spell and at the very end of the description, I drag the NPC link into the spell. To be clear, the player still can't open the NPC link. However, now when the player casts spiritual weapon, I can open their character, open the spell and open the NPC link and drag and drop the token onto the map. Once I place it on the map they player can move it (as long as it is on the same layer as the player tokens if you are using the enhanced images extension). What I like about this is I have a hard time selecting the tokens for the spells out of the token bag due to the transparency. Once they are in "token form" on an NPC its very easy.

I'm not sure this makes it a ton easier, but I think it will be a little easier for me once I set it up for players that have spells that have representative tokens. Here are some screen shots if anyone is interested.

LordEntrails
January 8th, 2017, 18:14
Ok. Disclaimer first. I am not suggesting this is what anyone should do as there very well may be unintended consequences that people like Trenloe, damned and Lord Entrails might jump in and explain. So, what I'm starting to do is create NPC's for the spell tokens. I created a Spell Token group and am creating NPC's to represent all of the spell tokens. As an example, I created a "Spiritual Weapon" NPC. I then grabbed the token and placed it on the NPC. When I drag the spell onto the PC's sheet to the actions tab, i then open the spell and at the very end of the description, I drag the NPC link into the spell. To be clear, the player still can't open the NPC link. However, now when the player casts spiritual weapon, I can open their character, open the spell and open the NPC link and drag and drop the token onto the map. Once I place it on the map they player can move it (as long as it is on the same layer as the player tokens if you are using the enhanced images extension). What I like about this is I have a hard time selecting the tokens for the spells out of the token bag due to the transparency. Once they are in "token form" on an NPC its very easy.

I'm not sure this makes it a ton easier, but I think it will be a little easier for me once I set it up for players that have spells that have representative tokens. Here are some screen shots if anyone is interested.

Interesting idea. I like the thought because NPCs have sizes. And therefore if you add them to the map from the CT (I think the autoscale requires they be added from the CT) they can be sized automatically. Of course, there is no creature size for a 30ft radius, but it's a start.

As for selecting from teh bag, it is tough. I always try to pick from the ring/edge of them and rely upon the mouse cursor changing so I know I've got them.

hagrid70
January 8th, 2017, 18:46
i had to walk a fine line with transparency gentlemen, if we get layer stacking in the next round of updates thhen these problems go away.. tho i will have to update a bunch of stuff. lordentrails thank you for the wishlist link, i have fired off a bunch of questions :D

Gwydion
January 8th, 2017, 18:47
i had to walk a fine line with transparency gentlemen, if we get layer stacking in the next round of updates thhen these problems go away.. tho i will have to update a bunch of stuff. lordentrails thank you for the wishlist link, i have fired off a bunch of questions :D

Don't get me wrong, no complaints here! Just trying to figure how best to implement.

hagrid70
January 8th, 2017, 18:54
when i built em i broke everything down into sizes. character size(5'), 10'+5'radius, 15', 20'+10'radius, 30'+15'radius, 40'+20'radius, straight and round wall sections, up to 120'+60'radius and..... oddities (like mordenkaniens mansion, where it will be however you want it, but the ENTRANCE may well be visible stacked up against a wall somewhere..

Nickademus
January 8th, 2017, 21:16
i had to walk a fine line with transparency gentlemen, if we get layer stacking in the next round of updates thhen these problems go away.. tho i will have to update a bunch of stuff.

I have a solution to this. If you are interested, message me.

HuseyinCinar
February 13th, 2019, 15:56
Can someone post some in-game screenshots of this product? I'd like to get it but want to know what exactly it is before I spend money on it

LordEntrails
February 13th, 2019, 16:10
Can someone post some in-game screenshots of this product? I'd like to get it but want to know what exactly it is before I spend money on it
72 tokens for spell effects. Here are a few of them tossed onto an encounter map; Cloud of Daggers, Mordekain's Sword, & Web.

pablomaz
February 24th, 2019, 21:50
I just loved the tokens! Unfortunately, I can't make the sizes work properly... what's weirder is that not always when release the individual token scale, tokens will increase in size, then I adjust with alt+mouse scroll (because of Combat Enhancer). Many times they will get even smaller than what's defined from PCs/NPCs tokens. It happens with Combat Enhancer both on and off. That's very weird.

EDIT: had to update all text to reflect some developments.

Valdemar
April 25th, 2020, 08:16
Don't get me wrong, no complaints here! Just trying to figure how best to implement.

Great new way to implement these - https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?56857-DiabloBob-s-DM-Tools-1-on-DMs-Guild

Dram
July 16th, 2020, 18:29
Are these still available? I've followed links and looked around, but am coming up blank.

These seem to be the community standard and I'd love to utilize them, as well.

Any advice anyone has about spell tokens will be greatly appreciated.

hagrid70
July 16th, 2020, 18:41
they are still available, but im in the process of doubling the content and the price. and while i check everything off, the product is unavailable. if you wait a couple of days, it will be up again :D
all the best sir.

pablomaz
July 16th, 2020, 19:09
they are still available, but im in the process of doubling the content and the price. and while i check everything off, the product is unavailable. if you wait a couple of days, it will be up again :D
all the best sir.

Even more content, hagrid70? Wow. Those who have purchased it already will have access to the new content as an DMs Guild update or it will be marketed as whole new product?

hagrid70
July 16th, 2020, 19:20
it will update the current product. so a bunch of you will get about 60 new tokens for free. , (im a big fan of loyalty)

ive updated the art for the old set as well, to be used in conjunction with diablobobs layer extension. the new tokens will not work without it, but they look fantastically better.

EthanBlayde
July 16th, 2020, 19:25
nice work

hagrid70
July 16th, 2020, 19:29

Dax Doomslayer
July 16th, 2020, 19:32
Sweet!! I was wondering the same thing as I was able to get the recent update but couldn't find the base product listing. These tokens are gorgeous and with DiabloBob's extension, this is awesome. One question, the older versions were a bit hard to move in FG. Was anything done to address this?

hagrid70
July 16th, 2020, 19:36
the old versions, have a TON of clear space in them because of the layering issue. you MUST be able to select character tokens around and under them, therefore, lots of clear space, therefore hard to select. the new tokens with layering have varied alpha transparency, which means two things: they look a million times nicer, and they are much easier to select. BUT without the layering extension they will totally break your combat, consider yourself warned :D.

Dax Doomslayer
July 16th, 2020, 19:50
Hey hagrid - thanks for the reply. So when you say "without the layering extension" what are you specifically referring to? Thanks!

hagrid70
July 16th, 2020, 19:53
biablobob and rob twohys fantasygrounds critically awesome extensions.

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/261591/Critically-Awesome-Essentials--One-Click-Druid-Fantasy-Grounds

Dax Doomslayer
July 16th, 2020, 19:58
Ahhh - cool!!! I already have those. Wahooo!

Neovirtus
July 16th, 2020, 20:57
biablobob and rob twohys fantasygrounds critically awesome extensions.

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/261591/Critically-Awesome-Essentials--One-Click-Druid-Fantasy-Grounds

Will they not work with layers in FGU without an extension? I try to run as few extensions as possible.

hagrid70
July 16th, 2020, 21:02
well theyre png images, so they will load fine, but the drawing technique employed makes use of all the available image space in the token, so if you put this over a character token, you will not be able to select that token without moving everything "on top of it" out of the way. at that point combat becomes a nightmare. this is why the old tokens contain so much empty space, and why the new tokens do not.

LordEntrails
July 16th, 2020, 21:31
Sounds like they should work with any of the layer extension in FGC (Enhanced Layers, Combat Enhancer, Critially Awesome, etc). Also I would think that with FGU if they are added as tile assets and not tokens, then they will be placed on their own layers, and hence can be moved as such. Of course, plaeyrs can move tile assets.

All of this is speculation though, since I haven't actually tried this with FGU. :)

They do look awesome :)

Dram
July 16th, 2020, 21:49
all the best sir.

That's fantastic news!

Well, I suppose I can wait a few more days while I count out all the bills I'll need.

Thank you in advance!

Granamere
July 17th, 2020, 20:44
Is this still available for sale? I tried the link and it errors out.

Edit deleting link because it is going to a different product.

hagrid70
July 17th, 2020, 20:49
read the thread mate, all will be clear :D they will be available again real soon.

pablomaz
July 17th, 2020, 21:48
it will update the current product. so a bunch of you will get about 60 new tokens for free. , (im a big fan of loyalty)

ive updated the art for the old set as well, to be used in conjunction with diablobobs layer extension. the new tokens will not work without it, but they look fantastically better.

Wow, thanks, my friend!

Granamere
July 18th, 2020, 00:50
read the thread mate, all will be clear :D they will be available again real soon.

OK you caught me. I saw the thread started in 2016. I did read the first couple of pages then it starts talking about the layers and since I am new I have not really been annoyed by that yet. I bet in a few more weeks I will be trying to find this thread. :) I then kind of skipped to the end and missed the major update coming and it will be back in a couple of days. I will hold my horses and buy it when you have it back for sale. It is the best spell effects I can find and I was concerned something had happen and you had closed up shop. I am glad that is not the case!

Milmoor
July 18th, 2020, 11:49
I just downloaded an update with the 2.0 images. I do see the 2.0 images when converting the .MOD to a .ZIP. Looking good. But I can only find the old images in FG Tokens. So either FG does not recognize the .MOD, or I'm overlooking something.

Granamere
July 18th, 2020, 16:24
Awesome thank you! I have just bought them.

Granamere
July 18th, 2020, 16:27
I just bought this and am downloading now. There seems to be 2 mod included with it. 769337-Dungeons_and_Dragons_5e_Spell_Tokens_Small.mod and 769337-SPELL_TOKENS_2.0_.mod. Plus a PDF. 769337-SPELL_TOKENS_2.1.pdf. OK I only see one mod to load when I load it I get 73 new tokens in the same token bag called Dungeons_and_Dragons_5e_Spell_Tokens_Small. So I think it is working.

eriktedesco
July 18th, 2020, 18:02
Ok, I'm not able to download the updated mod. An error keeps popping out...something regarding eBook downloading. I'm signed in...any suggestion?

Granamere
July 18th, 2020, 18:17
When you say you are logged in, Are you using the Drivethrurpg downloader or on the DMSGUILD webpage?

Lets assume you are using the web page. You might want to try closing out of your browse and any other open browsers you have then open just on and clear you cache. See if you can then download it. I know when I downloaded it this morning it took awhile for dmsguild to create the zip on the server side before it would start downloading.

I hope this helps.

eriktedesco
July 18th, 2020, 18:26
I downloaded them, thank for the guidance. I have installed both mod files in the modules folder, but I'm not seeing any module to activate in the Library. Plus, no token was added to the spell token list. Am I doing something wrong?

Granamere
July 18th, 2020, 18:52
Start Fantasy Grounds. Open you campaign. Open tokens. Click Modules inside of tokens. Type spell into the text field in the bottom left. hit enter. You should now see Dungeons and Dragons 5e Spell Tokens Small. Load it up. :)

eriktedesco
July 18th, 2020, 19:22
I'm using FGU and I suppose something is different from FGC. I idonee assets, went to token, searched for spell. I found the small token bag but no update on the number of token.

Granamere
July 18th, 2020, 19:47
OK close unity. Launch it. When it first opens up before you go into a game click the folder in the top left corner.
Make sure you see Dungeons_and_Dragons_5e_Spell_Tokens_Small.mod and 769337-SPELL_TOKENS_2.0_.mod in that folder. If not put them there.

Now launch your campaign.
Click on Assets.
Make sure Tokens is selected at the top.
Type spell in the search bar at the top. You should now see Dungeons and Dragons 5e Spell Tokens Small bag. Open it.

You will see part of the tokens. At the bottom you will see an triangle. Click the triangle and you should see the rest of the tokens.

eriktedesco
July 18th, 2020, 19:54
Done everything you suggested. Mods files are in the modules folder. Everything is as you said but still I Have the old 73 token. No restyling and no additional tokens. Seems someone else had the same problem (see before in the thread). I suppose there is some problem with Unity.

eriktedesco
July 18th, 2020, 20:22
I just downloaded an update with the 2.0 images. I do see the 2.0 images when converting the .MOD to a .ZIP. Looking good. But I can only find the old images in FG Tokens. So either FG does not recognize the .MOD, or I'm overlooking something.

Take a look at this...

Granamere
July 18th, 2020, 21:00
Removing post since this is fixed now.

hagrid70
July 19th, 2020, 02:13
tokens are live now, and by the grace of my less luddite friends there is also a mod file. go for it, and THANK YOU everyone, for your support. i hope you like them.
\

hagrid70
July 19th, 2020, 02:33
for those of you that have experienced issues, please accept my appologies, its been a hectic update for a day or so, and hopefully everything is now ironed out and theres formats for everyone. i pay attention to the forums and appreciate your support, and i hope the tokens support your game.

Granamere
July 19th, 2020, 05:24
I used them tonight and my players really enjoyed them.

Thanks!

eriktedesco
July 19th, 2020, 06:43
Ok, now I'm lost. Which file should I download and where do I have to put then?

LordEntrails
July 19th, 2020, 06:56
Ok, now I'm lost. Which file should I download and where do I have to put then?
Are you using FGC or FGU?

eriktedesco
July 19th, 2020, 06:56
Fgu

Milmoor
July 19th, 2020, 09:00
tokens are live now, and by the grace of my less luddite friends there is also a mod file. go for it, and THANK YOU everyone, for your support. i hope you like them.
\
Thanks. For next time: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?43011-How-to-make-a-Token-Module.

The images are lovely, but a bit large. This is by far the largest mod I have (just below 100 MB). I'm limiting my maps to 512 kB, so I limit my tokens to 100 kB on average. Otherwise connection times will suffer. That is still about 13 MB of images, but a lot smaller than the original set. I'm capable of doing this myself, but you might want to offer a smaller size to others in your downloads.

Granamere
July 19th, 2020, 13:42
Fgu

Launch Unity. When it first opens up before you go into a game click the folder in the top left corner.
Copy the mods there.
Dungeons_and_Dragons_5e_Spell_Tokens_Small.mod and Fantasy_Grounds_Spell_Tokens_2.0.mod if you downloaded the zip.
769337-Dungeons_and_Dragons_5e_Spell_Tokens_Small.mod and 769337-Fantasy_Grounds_Spell_Tokens_2.0.mod if you use drivthurrpg downloader.

Click on Assets.
Type spell in the search bar at the top.
Enable the 2 mods.
You should now see them in 2 different bags inside of your tokens.

astromath
November 11th, 2020, 20:32
$10.00? I remember getting this for free for FGC some years ago. In fact, a direct link from this forum.

Granamere
November 11th, 2020, 21:29
Back in my day I paid a nickel for a coke! :) Things change. If you still have them you can copy them over and they will still work.

hagrid70
November 12th, 2020, 00:37
$10.00? I remember getting this for free for FGC some years ago. In fact, a direct link from this forum.

i am the creator, and i have never offered these publicly, for free.
i have gifted them to friends, and shared a few of them, and they have been included in another product or two.
and if you bought the original set for 5 bucks, you get the 200% update for nothing.
but i have never made then available for free anywhere outside this context.
So i would dearly love for you to continue your dialogue please.

astromath
November 12th, 2020, 16:06
Interesting. I know I didn't get it from a 3rd party and I never paid anything for it. Now I'm wondering if it was yours or somebody else's who did something similar.

I can't seem to find the file now. Could you post an example of a Spirit Guardians token? If I see that one, I will know if it was yours or not.

hagrid70
November 12th, 2020, 19:06
Interesting. I know I didn't get it from a 3rd party and I never paid anything for it. Now I'm wondering if it was yours or somebody else's who did something similar.

I can't seem to find the file now. Could you post an example of a Spirit Guardians token? If I see that one, I will know if it was yours or not.

astromath
November 12th, 2020, 19:15
I can now confirm what I had was not yours. The spirit guardians in the free file was somebody else's.

LordEntrails
November 12th, 2020, 19:24
I used that token last night :) In fact, it's still on the map as we will be contusing the fight next week.

hagrid70
November 12th, 2020, 19:25
MY BAD. hang on. thats the new updated version 41047 this is the old version

hagrid70
November 12th, 2020, 19:26
imagine how nice it will be when i work out how to make animated PNG files.

astromath
November 12th, 2020, 19:33
Ok. It was the old version that I had.

houseofdexter
January 18th, 2021, 04:33
Are there any extensions out there that would allow you to have a spell have a link to your images?

ignore...found this in your DMG post https://www.dmsguild.com/product/261591/Critically-Awesome-Essentials--One-Click-Druid-Fantasy-Grounds
you also need this https://www.dmsguild.com/product/310505/DM-Tools-Fantasy-Grounds

hagrid70
January 18th, 2021, 04:37
Are there any extensions out there that would allow you to have a spell have a link to your images?

the critically awesome essentials extension, which contains a function that adds an extra button to all your spells where you preload the spelltokens and set thier scale. then when you cast the spell you literally drag that button onto the map and it autosizes the token over the characters and monsters.
i believe that this is what youre after sir.

Mytherus
January 20th, 2021, 15:42
the critically awesome essentials extension, which contains a function that adds an extra button to all your spells where you preload the spelltokens and set thier scale. then when you cast the spell you literally drag that button onto the map and it autosizes the token over the characters and monsters.
i believe that this is what youre after sir.

I was going to mention that. I recently got critically awesome extensions, and a player gifted me the spell tokens last year. I mostly like that as dm i dont have to drop the spell tokens now, the players can do it on their own. Since i pre place the token in the spell entry its right there too..they dont even have to look for it.

i3ullseye
January 23rd, 2021, 05:54
I was going to mention that. I recently got critically awesome extensions, and a player gifted me the spell tokens last year. I mostly like that as dm i dont have to drop the spell tokens now, the players can do it on their own. Since i pre place the token in the spell entry its right there too..they dont even have to look for it.

This gets around the Unity limitation that players can't place or manipulate tokens?

grimmlock
January 24th, 2021, 14:44
This gets around the Unity limitation that players can't place or manipulate tokens?

Yes, Critically Awesome allows the players to place and manipulate the token. When the player drops it on the map, they own the token, they move the token, and they can even delete the token via right click.

It is a great extension. If the spell has targeting, you can even set the token so, after you place it, you click on a targe button and every token covered by the image will be targeted by that character.

If only it worked with NPCs…

GerryWright
March 23rd, 2021, 15:51
Launch Unity. When it first opens up before you go into a game click the folder in the top left corner.
Copy the mods there.
Dungeons_and_Dragons_5e_Spell_Tokens_Small.mod and Fantasy_Grounds_Spell_Tokens_2.0.mod if you downloaded the zip.
769337-Dungeons_and_Dragons_5e_Spell_Tokens_Small.mod and 769337-Fantasy_Grounds_Spell_Tokens_2.0.mod if you use drivthurrpg downloader.

Click on Assets.
Type spell in the search bar at the top.
Enable the 2 mods.
You should now see them in 2 different bags inside of your tokens.

I just purchased the token package and followed the instructions above to get them into Fantasy Grounds Unity. When I click on the Assets button and them on Tokens, I cannot find them using the spell search. What am I doing wrong?

Edit to original post: After playing with the files for a while, I figured out what was wrong. When you click the folder icon in the top left corner, you will see several subfolders in the folder that opened up. The .mod files need to be put in the folder labeled modules.