PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding creating some form of trigger in FG

Tuendal
October 11th, 2016, 00:44
I've done a few searches and didn't really find anything (but if there is something on this already please point me to it). I'm curious to find out if it is possible to create some form of trigger for when a player moves over a specific area of a map (trap in a particular square or squares as an example). So as an example I can create pin's and link that to information on the map such as links to an encounter. Is it possible to use said "pin" or even draw an area on the map so when the player's token moves into that area to cause something to happen (apply an effect, trigger a trap npc, etc.)? I might be making this more trouble that it's probably worth but really more curious than anything.

If this is a ludicrous idea, let me know...as I tend to have lots of those from time to time.

I'm enjoying exploring this software and just trying to understand what can/can't be done. I'm trying to teach myself to write extensions, and while I have a ton to learn and figure out, I was reading about traps and had the thought of if they could be "triggered" with the PC moving their token over the trap token or into the radius defined by the trap effect or something like that.

Maspalio
October 11th, 2016, 01:23
I don't think this is possible, and if ever that would, it'd be a massive amount of work for a small benefit in game. From my point of view, FG is not a mmorpg, and as a DM i can trigger whatever traps a character put the foot on.

But interested to see what the gurus around think of your idea.

LordEntrails
October 11th, 2016, 02:17
No, you can't do this.

Tuendal
October 11th, 2016, 02:20
Ok, figured it was probably wasn't doable, but thought I'd ask.

Moon Wizard
October 11th, 2016, 02:31
We'll probably look at doing path history in newer versions, which would allow the GM to see exactly where a player chose to walk; and a rewind move option for the GM. Then, you can see where the players were moving when they "tripped" the trap, and you can arrange tokens accordingly.

Or you can just make them use a party order, and place their tokens for them automatically when something happens. This is how I typically handle in my games (both FG and face-to-face).

Regards,
JPG

Maspalio
October 11th, 2016, 09:12
We'll probably look at doing path history in newer versions, [...]

I have a concern with this path history. I work with Photoshop 5 days a week : a software wich has a command history to allow to revert to previous operations. The real drawback is that when you know what you're doing, the software still stack all the operations in the command history, and it comes to a huge amount of memory being lost to this. You even have a purge command, hidden in the second or third menu to empty it when you know about it. Won't this path history be a pain in the *** for GMs that don't really need to trace the PC's pathes and will still loose a lot of their computer capacity?

Zacchaeus
October 11th, 2016, 11:07
I have a concern with this path history. I work with Photoshop 5 days a week : a software wich has a command history to allow to revert to previous operations. The real drawback is that when you know what you're doing, the software still stack all the operations in the command history, and it comes to a huge amount of memory being lost to this. You even have a purge command, hidden in the second or third menu to empty it when you know about it. Won't this path history be a pain in the *** for GMs that don't really need to trace the PC's pathes and will still loose a lot of their computer capacity?

You would only need a path history for each individual turn so it could be purged at the end of the turn.

Moon Wizard
October 11th, 2016, 18:04
It would probably be something enabled for a token (i.e. you don't need path history for trees/tiles/etc), and there would probably be a maximum history limit for those tokens (say 5 or 10). As of right now, I'm just talking off the cuff about what possibilities are and exploring them verbally. As I've stated before, the main goal of FGU is to recreate existing functionality to support all our DLC on a new platform. We have ideas for things that will/may change, but aren't ready to announce anything specific yet.

Regards,
JPG