PDA

View Full Version : Gold, Coins, Treasure

MarianDz
October 7th, 2016, 18:34
How can DM protect Hero sheet from changing gold, silver, copper, etc... stats, preventing players from later manipulation (during campaign)?
Hero sheet - Inventory tab - Treasure

I tested this over "localhost" and it always allows me change this stats :(

When player manually change for example GP value from 10 to 12
and DM on his "DM's Party sheet" later in game press "Rebuild Party Inventory" button then legalize player cheat? :confused:

Please knows somebody how to protect this little detail? Thank you for all answers

Zacchaeus
October 7th, 2016, 18:55
Essentially you can't prevent the players from doing something like this. The character sheets are deliberately open so that players have the options to be able to update and edit their characters easily.

I suppose the only thing you can do if players abuse the system like this is make sure that something horrible happens to their characters on a regular basis; perhaps a pickpocket relieves them of a much sought after magic item when they next visit town or an unexpected encounter with a rust monster destroys their armour; or maybe there's been a stock market crash and suddenly inflation is rife and even simple lodgings have doubled or trebled in price.

MarianDz
October 7th, 2016, 19:04
Nice and elegant solution you provided me :D
And because I'm your fan Zacchaeus so I name it as "Zacchaeus curse" forever.

Zerbious
October 7th, 2016, 23:01
Yep, no different that and Pen and Paper character sheet.

You can't control what your players will do, you just need to weed out those players that are dishonest and try to cheat.

damned
October 8th, 2016, 01:33
And when they complain that they are always the victim of the pickpocket, that they always get ripped off tell it to them straight - you keep cheating on your sheet and it will get worse.

Nickademus
October 8th, 2016, 03:16
All joking aside, it might be good to offer some solid advice for dealing with player cheating.

If you catch a player cheating or highly suspect they are, don't make a big deal about it. Remember, the point of the game is for everyone to have fun and open conflict can cause a tension that saps the fun from the table. Pause the game for a restroom break and ask the offending player if you could speak with them. Go into a different room (physically for a live game or create temporary sub-channel in Team Speak) and ask the player about their actions. If it is an honest misunderstanding, you can apologize and game on. If the player was actually cheating, simply tell them: 'This kind of behavior is a detriment to the game and not fair to the other players. I do not allow cheating in my game and if it continues I'm going to be forced to ask you to leave.'

Dealing with it in private and lightly noting what the consequences will be helps to encourage the player to stop without putting them on the spot and embarrassing them in front of the other players. The goal isn't to punish the player (or create an environment where the player is unable to cheat) but rather to keep everyone on the same page as to what is expected so all can have fun.

MarianDz
October 8th, 2016, 07:33
Thank you Nickademus for your wise contribution to this thread, as you all before Zacchaeus, Zerbious, Damned. I appreciate it.
It's too many things on DM's side which he need control during game. And writing another kind of "Logs" or "Marks" in his Notes (who has what items, who got what new, and how many coins he spends in last shop or how many coins left him) really isn't needed. Hope everyone understand message from this thread "Any kind of cheating can damage game, break relationships and irretrievably destroy fun from playing, please don't risk it!!!"

thedougalbug
October 9th, 2016, 15:53
You could also be super mean and the "gift" to said cheaty mccheaterson a powerful magic ring...

That's cursed and turns any gold they touch to mulch until they can remove the curse. You can also present this in a way that gets the point across but can be done in a fun way so as not to ruin everyone's time.

Or that's possibly a little too mean!

Seananigans
October 9th, 2016, 17:37
I'm of the opinion that there should simply be a toggle option to turn off player editing of certain fields (ability scores, AC, money, items) each individually. Even items, I rather they take them from the parcel, which is where I make them available. Doesn't seem like a toggle option like this would be too terribly tough to implement?

LordEntrails
October 9th, 2016, 22:10
I'm of the opinion that there should simply be a toggle option to turn off player editing of certain fields (ability scores, AC, money, items) each individually. Even items, I rather they take them from the parcel, which is where I make them available. Doesn't seem like a toggle option like this would be too terribly tough to implement?

I don't think its on the Wishlist (https://fg2app.idea.informer.com), but you can always add it :)

Kitilark
October 10th, 2016, 00:10
Essentially you can't prevent the players from doing something like this. The character sheets are deliberately open so that players have the options to be able to update and edit their characters easily.

I suppose the only thing you can do if players abuse the system like this is make sure that something horrible happens to their characters on a regular basis; perhaps a pickpocket relieves them of a much sought after magic item when they next visit town or an unexpected encounter with a rust monster destroys their armour; or maybe there's been a stock market crash and suddenly inflation is rife and even simple lodgings have doubled or trebled in price.

no simple 'time-out' for your naughty characters - I love your suggestions for behavior modification.
Kitty

Trenloe
October 10th, 2016, 04:21
I don't think its on the Wishlist (https://fg2app.idea.informer.com), but you can always add it :)
Essentially the same thing here: https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=94148

In the end, if you have a player who wants to cheat then they're going to find ways to cheat. You're better finding them out (Nick's approach is a good one to initially broaching the subject), telling them it's not acceptable and if they keep doing it then you'll have to ask them to leave. Locking things down results in the GM having to do more work - they have enough to do already!

gqwebb
October 10th, 2016, 23:59

Yep, karma wins every time. ha ha

GunnarGreybeard
October 11th, 2016, 05:59
You could also be super mean and the "gift" to said cheaty mccheaterson a powerful magic ring...
LOL, cheaty mccheaterson. :bandit: