PDA

View Full Version : conversion question.

Octavious
October 7th, 2016, 09:00
HI , I am converting the Sunless Citadel to 5e. I have come across something i'm not sure how to handle. One of the doors requires a "Divine turning check" to open it. Here is the part that describes how to open the door.

" Lock: The locked door doesn’t open to a key, but instead it opens only when
someone targets upon the door a divine turning check of sufficient power
to affect 2 HD undead. "

This looks like a cleric action to me. My question is what can I use in place of this for 5e ? Can the Turn Undead for 5e be the same ? Since it does channel divine energy

dulux-oz
October 7th, 2016, 10:31
Yes, the Cleric Turn Undead Check is a special type of divine Turning Check under the 3.5E Rules

Cheers

El Condoro
October 7th, 2016, 11:25
A 5e Cleric gets Channel Divinity: Turn Undead at Level 2. An undead of any type or level is affected if it fails its Wisdom save vs. the cleric's spell save DC.
They get Destroy Undead at 5th Level.
They can't destroy 2 HD undead until 11th level.
As far a conversion goes, it would depend at what level a 3.5e cleric could "affect a 2HD undead", I think.

dulux-oz
October 7th, 2016, 11:53
A 5e Cleric gets Channel Divinity: Turn Undead at Level 2. An undead of any type or level is affected if it fails its Wisdom save vs. the cleric's spell save DC.
They get Destroy Undead at 5th Level.
They can't destroy 2 HD undead until 11th level.
As far a conversion goes, it would depend at what level a 3.5e cleric could "affect a 2HD undead", I think.

That depends upon the Turn Check of the Cleric (under 3.5E) - a 1st level Cleric can effect 2HD Undead if they roll about a 13+ (I think it was)

thedougalbug
October 8th, 2016, 20:31
There are a fair amount of differences between 3.5 and 5e - if you're converting it for a private campaign then just pick an equivalent ability to use, you're the DM so you can bend and shape things to fit your style and sensibilities.

If you're looking for a more 'official' answer I would say the cleric channel divinity for turn undead would be the closest you'd get imo.

Octavious
October 8th, 2016, 20:42
thanks thedougalbug I think I may try to use something else as the 3.5e "divine turning check " requires a roll check and the 5e "cleric channel divinity for turn undead " does not .. I want something that does require a roll check.. so Ill figure something out .. thanks for the answer everyone ..

Zacchaeus
October 8th, 2016, 20:56
You can still use the Turn Undead feature by giving the door a Wisdom score against which the turn undead feature of the 5e Cleric can be used. You can set the difficulty level of the save to whatever you you think it should be at that point in the adventure. 15 would be medium and 20 hard and 25 very hard. I can't remember the details of that adventure but if the PCs should not get past that door until a certain level then just increase the difficulty of the save.

Octavious
October 8th, 2016, 21:48
Hi Zacchaeus, thanks for the information.. I did just that a few minutes ago and then checked back to this thread. I decided to use the clerics spell save dc for the door . I think it will work out great and I can keep the adventure as close to original as I can .. thanks again ..

Nylanfs
October 9th, 2016, 01:03
Religion check perhaps?