PDA

View Full Version : [Interest Check] Lost Mines of Phandelver - weeknight game

GunnarGreybeard
October 6th, 2016, 02:54
After derailing another thread I have opened this new one to discuss a possible Lost Mines of Phandelver, Wednesday night (tentatively 8-9PM EST), voice game. We are still working out the details so I cannot post more atm as I will probably not be the GM.

kalmarjan
October 6th, 2016, 03:33
Alright... THUMP!

(Dusts self off...)

Okay, so far here is what we are looking at:

Here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=2213) is the calendar entry for the game.

Tentative 8 PM EST biweekly game
Max 3 hour play time
Teamspeak and Twitch stream. (I'll do the video but the players will be in voice)
We will start off with level 1 characters
Starting off with the Lost Mines of Phandelver.
We will use the 5ESRD to play with, but for now we will play with core plus the Sword Coast players guide. (saving up for the core ruleset)

After Phandelver, we can decide as a group where to go from there.

Rictor
October 6th, 2016, 04:02
I'd be interested in joining you, I've been looking for a weeknight game starting between 8 and 9EST, and this sounds like fun. I'm 34 with 2 young kids and a lot of relatives to visit so my weekends are more or less booked and bed time tends to be between 8 and 8:30. If its a bi-weekly game I can probably impose on my wife to handle tucking them in.

I have a good deal of D&D experience having played every edition starting with AD&D in the late 80's and I've been running a local 5e campaign since release, but I'd like to have a place to play as opposed to constantly running. I'm happy to play any role but if I had a choice I'd probably go with a rogue with the intention of multi-classing wizard.

That said, I don't have much experience in Fantasy Grounds. I picked it up in 08 to play 4e, played a few games and discovered I wasn't a huge 4e fan and haven't touched it since.

GunnarGreybeard
October 6th, 2016, 04:07
We will start off with level 1 characters
Starting off with the Lost Mines of Phandelver.
We will use the 5ESRD to play with, but for now we will play with core plus the Sword Coast players guide. (saving up for the core ruleset).
Are we going to use the pre-gen's? They are the starter set ones I believe? I'm up for playing anything really but would rather not play a caster unless that roles is absolutely needed.

Firan
October 6th, 2016, 05:40
Sounds like we're getting a plan here!! I can definitely commit to the game. Thinking of a human Sorceror or Warlock, but definitely open to pregens if that is the consensus. Here's hoping that timing comes together for everyone!

kalmarjan
October 6th, 2016, 05:51
Right on... I know it's down the line, but if we click into something bigger, and we decide that we are a good long term campaign or something, Phandalver is meant to be rewritten to fall into other campaigns... So there are options there too...

Zerbious
October 6th, 2016, 16:46
I am definitely interested.

I am new to FG and plan to start DM games with it as well, but would love to run a few games as a player before starting to DM. I stream as well (though since getting FG and trying to learn it, I haven't streamed much), typically 8pm - 11pm EST, so the game time fits perfectly into when I am usually streaming something.

Though I am new to FG, I am not new to D&D. I've played since the original Red Box (early 80s), took a long hiatus due to career and family and returned during 4e.

kalmarjan
October 6th, 2016, 17:36
I am definitely interested.

I am new to FG and plan to start DM games with it as well, but would love to run a few games as a player before starting to DM. I stream as well (though since getting FG and trying to learn it, I haven't streamed much), typically 8pm - 11pm EST, so the game time fits perfectly into when I am usually streaming something.

Though I am new to FG, I am not new to D&D. I've played since the original Red Box (early 80s), took a long hiatus due to career and family and returned during 4e.

Awesome!

I am newly back with FG after a couple year hiatus, so I know the feeling.

kalmarjan
October 6th, 2016, 18:46
Okay folks, here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=2213) is the game calendar entry for you to join up!

I think it would be awesome to start up the campaign on October 19, but I'll put the server up on October 12th so you all can create your characters. If you already have one done, feel free to send it to me, and I'll get it in.

GunnarGreybeard
October 6th, 2016, 19:03
Okay folks, here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=2213) is the game calendar entry for you to join up!

I think it would be awesome to start up the campaign on October 19, but I'll put the server up on October 12th so you all can create your characters. If you already have one done, feel free to send it to me, and I'll get it in.
Sounds good. I have another group I run at the same time, but interest in that game has waned significantly (its text only) so I am switching that one to bi-weekly so this and that game can alternate sessions.

kalmarjan
October 6th, 2016, 19:05
I was thinking of what to use for voice? I have Skype, but I usually run it through my phone, but if I am going to be broadcasting this, what would be a good one? I see there is a Teamspeak server, but I have zero experience with it. Anyone have any ideas?

Firan
October 6th, 2016, 19:05
Sounds great!!

Firan
October 6th, 2016, 19:07
I really like Discord. I've not had MUCH experience with it, but the quality is very good. It's free as well.

GunnarGreybeard
October 6th, 2016, 19:10
I was thinking of what to use for voice? I have Skype, but I usually run it through my phone, but if I am going to be broadcasting this, what would be a good one? I see there is a Teamspeak server, but I have zero experience with it. Anyone have any ideas?
I have only ever used Skype but don't think it works with streaming?? I have TeamSpeak installed but never used it. I checked with another 'streaming GM' not long ago and he uses Curse (https://www.curse.com/) which seems pretty good, at least the reviews I have seen. If interest, I suspect we could ask his assistance in getting us up and running.

Fatherdeath
October 6th, 2016, 19:14
I have used skype, discord, and teamspeak.... discord and teamspeak seem to be the better of the 3..

Zerbious
October 6th, 2016, 19:23
I have curse, discord, skype and teamspeak.

I mainly use discord when gaming and streaming. I have done a couple things since getting FG and they have used Teamspeak, one being the FG community teamspeak. I only use curse because it's tied in to Smite.

Bilz
October 6th, 2016, 19:28
I'm a long time gamer that is new to both FG and 5e, and I'm looking to find a game. Is this one already full, or is there still room?

Rictor
October 6th, 2016, 19:29
Curse or discord are decent. Having an option for push to talk without having to navigate to the program and mute the mic is a good thing imo.

kalmarjan
October 6th, 2016, 19:34
I'm a long time gamer that is new to both FG and 5e, and I'm looking to find a game. Is this one already full, or is there still room?
No there's always room for another player... Go and sign up!

Bilz
October 6th, 2016, 19:37
Done, thanks.

Rictor
October 6th, 2016, 19:41
So if we have room for one more (assuming I can include myself in we), my brother is interested in joining as well. He doesn't have internet access on his phone at the moment but said he'll apply after work this evening if there is still space.

kalmarjan
October 6th, 2016, 19:45
So if we have room for one more (assuming I can include myself in we), my brother is interested in joining as well. He doesn't have internet access on his phone at the moment but said he'll apply after work this evening if there is still space.

Sounds great.

Rictor
October 6th, 2016, 19:47
He says he's happy to play the healer if we don't have one otherwise.

GunnarGreybeard
October 6th, 2016, 20:21
He says he's happy to play the healer if we don't have one otherwise.
Don't think anyone has posted interest in that yet but, if you ask me, you can never have enough healers. I'm thinking about a non-spell caster myself, so no objections to his choice from me.

Zerbious
October 6th, 2016, 20:44
I play multiple melee classes and fighters in the games I'm in currently. I'd love the opportunity to play something different in this game, a caster, ranger or bard maybe.

Zerbious
October 6th, 2016, 20:46
We will use the 5ESRD to play with, but for now we will play with core plus the Sword Coast players guide. (saving up for the core ruleset)

I have the Core Class (PHB), as long as I am connected, will others be able to access it?

Rictor
October 6th, 2016, 21:05
Just fyi, my brother's username will probably be Bulkmaster.

GunnarGreybeard
October 6th, 2016, 21:48
I have the Core Class (PHB), as long as I am connected, will others be able to access it?
With FG, only the modules the GM has on his machine can be shared to other users.

Rictor
October 6th, 2016, 21:51
So that essentially means that we'll only have access to the archetypes in the srd? Ie evoker for wizard?

Out of curiosity, how much does the core class module cost?

Edit: Turns out google is pretty handy. $50 if anyone else was curious.

Zerbious
October 6th, 2016, 22:37
Edit: Turns out google is pretty handy. $50 if anyone else was curious.

The three main books are $49.99 each, but go on sale for $39.99.

Right now the sale is: Standard License for FG: $31.20 and the Complete Core Monster Pack (monster manual): 39.99.

The Core Class Pack was available in the last sale, so not sure when it will be on there again.

Rictor
October 6th, 2016, 22:43
I only messed around with character creation a bit, but is it possible to manually enter class features for non srd PCs if you have hardcopy rules?

Zerbious
October 6th, 2016, 22:47
I only messed around with character creation a bit, but is it possible to manually enter class features for non srd PCs if you have hardcopy rules?

You can, but I think you lose a lot of the automation (if there was any for that feature) in the process of manually entering it. you should have the base classes and races, even if you only have the demo... or did that not have all the features included?

Rictor
October 6th, 2016, 22:51
I will have to look at it again, I thought it seemed pretty complete but I was more focused on figuring out the controls than the content. Havent used FG in 8 years, and got it for 4e, so I still need to get used to it.

kalmarjan
October 6th, 2016, 22:57
For the beginning, I only have access to the SRD (saving up for the rest) but you can enter the class information, you just won't have the drag and drop to build a character.

Zerbious
October 6th, 2016, 23:49
For the beginning, I only have access to the SRD (saving up for the rest) but you can enter the class information, you just won't have the drag and drop to build a character.

If that is the case, I'd be more than willing to open up my client as DM (I have a campaign set for just "character Creation") for everyone to build their characters and import them into your campaign for the game. I even have Rob2e's MotD for the step by step process of building the characters.

kalmarjan
October 7th, 2016, 01:32
If that is the case, I'd be more than willing to open up my client as DM (I have a campaign set for just "character Creation") for everyone to build their characters and import them into your campaign for the game. I even have Rob2e's MotD for the step by step process of building the characters.

Awesome. So we could make the session on the 12th for this, and it will work out great...

Now to spread the word of the madness far and wide...

Bulkmaster
October 7th, 2016, 01:57

Sounds great.

Hey guys,

I just applied. Was thinking about a dwarf or halfling barbarian if we are short on melee. Willing to play whatever is needed, however.

valiantcosmos
October 7th, 2016, 03:04
Hi all,
I'm in exactly the same boat as Rictor (two young kids, have a hard time playing on the weekends, would love to be part of a weeknight game starting 8pm or so),
And I've been looking for a Lost Mine's game. I've only played a wizard so far and would like to branch out -- ranger or fighter maybe? Or maybe a bard?
Great if I'm needed, best of luck to you all if not :)

Rictor
October 7th, 2016, 03:15
Hey kalmarjan, how do you want to do character creation? Any race/class limitations?

kalmarjan
October 7th, 2016, 03:18
Great question.... Let's keep it to core for now. If there is something you really are interested in, and you want to do a workup on it, PM me and we'll discuss... :)

Rictor
October 7th, 2016, 03:20
Hi all,
I'm in exactly the same boat as Rictor (two young kids, have a hard time playing on the weekends, would love to be part of a weeknight game starting 8pm or so),
And I've been looking for a Lost Mine's game. I've only played a wizard so far and would like to branch out -- ranger or fighter maybe? Or maybe a bard?
Great if I'm needed, best of luck to you all if not :)

Awesome, so maybe I won't be the only person interrupted mid session by screaming children. :)

kalmarjan
October 7th, 2016, 03:21
Bah ha ha... Hopefully my boy will be fast asleep. Yeah. That'll happen... Right?

Rictor
October 7th, 2016, 03:23
Great question.... Let's keep it to core for now. If there is something you really are interested in, and you want to do a workup on it, PM me and we'll discuss... :)

I'd prefer core rules, honestly. My players aren't allowed out of the PHB for my local game, I made the mistake of allowing a vast array of source books for a high level 3.5 game and learned my lesson. Any thoughts on stats?

Rictor
October 7th, 2016, 03:27
Bah ha ha... Hopefully my boy will be fast asleep. Yeah. That'll happen... Right?

Mine are 2.5 year old twins and there have been some long nights. Lately, they've been on a roll sleeping soundly through the night... I'm hopeful that this trend will continue. I mean, it probably will right?

The good news is that your twitch audience will get breaks to grab a beer or watch an episode of dr. who or something.

damned
October 7th, 2016, 03:28
If you create characters using Zerbious PHB then the other players wont be able to click to see more detail on those abilities, spells etc when connected to kalmarjans game.
I recommend that those players that dont own PHB just use the SRD for now...
You will have a better overall experience. Zerbious can use his PHB.

kalmarjan
October 7th, 2016, 03:46
If you create characters using Zerbious PHB then the other players wont be able to click to see more detail on those abilities, spells etc when connected to kalmarjans game.

Very true. The only way around this is to manually type it in. I don't have the funds available for the PHB right off, but it's on the list.

kalmarjan
October 7th, 2016, 03:46
I'd prefer core rules, honestly. My players aren't allowed out of the PHB for my local game, I made the mistake of allowing a vast array of source books for a high level 3.5 game and learned my lesson. Any thoughts on stats?

This is my #1 peeve with Pathfinder and 3.5... It just gets too involved. I prefer we start off simple, core only, and build as we go.

damned
October 7th, 2016, 04:17
Hi kalmarjan there are plenty of options in the SRD for players to get started with. It will also make it easier on you!

kalmarjan
October 7th, 2016, 04:27
Hi kalmarjan there are plenty of options in the SRD for players to get started with. It will also make it easier on you!

Thanks! This is what I was thinking too.

GunnarGreybeard
October 7th, 2016, 06:08
If anyone has a licensed FG copy they should have access to the SRD correct? IF so, they can just use the Manage Characters screen/interface to see what they can actually have access to as far as classes and archetypes, etc. Opening and working in there you should see what you are 'limited' to as far as being automated.

LOL, my kids are past the "screaming children" stage and are in the "just complaining about anything" teenage years.

Bilz
October 7th, 2016, 12:18
So I'm a newbie here on FG. I joined yesterday, and have not yet played a game on here. I have not yet even downloaded the game. Will I be able to join with a demo, or will I need to invest money before we play?

Also, since we're sharing info, I am 43 years old and have 3 kids. The older 2 are 8 and 6, and the youngest is 7 months. The older ones normally get in bed by 8:30, but the baby is still making her own schedule somewhat.

I can play any character type, depending on what we need as a party.

Zerbious
October 7th, 2016, 12:57

True, but wouldn't it make it at least easier for the players to more completely build their characters using my PHB, even without the "details" once connected to the game? That was my idea behind the suggestion any way. /shrug I'm fine either way, I was just trying to help in any way I can.

valiantcosmos
October 7th, 2016, 12:58
My kids are 8 (daughter) and 10 (son). It was my son that got me in to DnD. He was interested in it so I thought I would learn about it to help him get started, and I was the one that got hooked! Eventually I look forward to playing together on FG with my son. I've heard of folks doing parent/child games.

Zerbious
October 7th, 2016, 13:04
Sounds as though I am the old timer of this group at 45, though glad to see some others that are similar in age for a change.

I also have two daughters, 12 and 15... trust me, it doesn't get any better as they get older!! :P

GunnarGreybeard
October 7th, 2016, 13:20
True, but wouldn't it make it at least easier for the players to more completely build their characters using my PHB, even without the "details" once connected to the game? That was my idea behind the suggestion any way. /shrug I'm fine either way, I was just trying to help in any way I can.
I can't remember the total effect of it not being linked. I know the content that normally comes up in the popup link would be missing but I can't remember if it messes up the formatting so the spell/action still functions or not although I believe those last parts would still work.

kalmarjan
October 7th, 2016, 14:54
If anyone has a licensed FG copy they should have access to the SRD correct? IF so, they can just use the Manage Characters screen/interface to see what they can actually have access to as far as classes and archetypes, etc. Opening and working in there you should see what you are 'limited' to as far as being automated.

LOL, my kids are past the "screaming children" stage and are in the "just complaining about anything" teenage years.

I'm cherishing the times now where I'm still a "superhero" and not "lame" lol

kalmarjan
October 7th, 2016, 14:55
I can't remember the total effect of it not being linked. I know the content that normally comes up in the popup link would be missing but I can't remember if it messes up the formatting so the spell/action still functions or not although I believe those last parts would still work.

It will still be able to be used, just no description will pop up, because I wouldn't have the module activated.

Rictor
October 7th, 2016, 15:13
Ok so I'm just throwing this out there. If having the module working would make the experience better for everyone, I'd be happy to throw a few bucks into a pool toward getting a copy for Kal. In a live game I would typically put cash in to get food/beer for the dm since they do the bulk of the work to make the game happen, so I'd consider this the same sort of contribution.

GunnarGreybeard
October 7th, 2016, 19:13
So I'm a newbie here on FG. I joined yesterday, and have not yet played a game on here. I have not yet even downloaded the game. Will I be able to join with a demo, or will I need to invest money before we play?
I'm thinking kalmarjan only has the GM License but maybe he can confirm that so interested people know for sure.

Bilz
October 7th, 2016, 19:23
It's no longer an issue for me. I went ahead and ponied up the money for a license, so I'm good.

kalmarjan
October 7th, 2016, 19:31
I only have a full licence for now... But that's easily upgraded to an ultimate license... Saving the dinars for that too... :)

ZCapitan
October 8th, 2016, 00:20
So where do we stand now for this group? Sounds like so far D&D5e core only. Wednesdays at 8 or 9PM. Many kids :) I have three boys myself 7,7, and 10. Saw someone mention the screaming phase and it just seems likke it went from squeaking, to crying, to screaming to yelling...hopefully there is a chill out phase.

kalmarjan
October 8th, 2016, 00:41
That looks like what we are up to.

As for the phases... I plan to enjoy the superhero phase as long as possible. :)

GunnarGreybeard
October 8th, 2016, 07:23
Ok, I have rolled up a Female Forest Gnome Cleric using standard array but I could switch her to a Ranger if everyone thinks more 'muscle' would be needed in the party (i.e. too many casters). But even as a Cleric she'd not be adverse to mixing thing up should the opportunity present itself. :bandit:

ZCapitan
October 8th, 2016, 12:58
Ok, I have rolled up a Female Forest Gnome Cleric using standard array but I could switch her to a Ranger if everyone thinks more 'muscle' would be needed in the party (i.e. too many casters). But even as a Cleric she'd not be adverse to mixing thing up should the opportunity present itself. :bandit:

I did roll a draconian ranger. I also have a mage. However I am not sure if I did it correctly so any help to check before would be appreciated

Rictor
October 8th, 2016, 16:39
I have a rogue (arcane trickster) who multiclasses to wizard (diviner)

Firan
October 8th, 2016, 16:47
I've rolled up a human Sorceror

Bulkmaster
October 8th, 2016, 16:50
I have a mountain dwarf barbarian/fighter ready to go.

kalmarjan
October 8th, 2016, 19:05
All of this sounds great guys! Can't wait to throw up the server this Wednesday and see what you all have!

If anyone needs help with portraits and graphics work let me know

Bilz
October 8th, 2016, 21:56
I've rolled up a High Elf Fighter. He came out pretty well too. Looking forward to Wednesday, though I may not be able to get on right at 8. More likely 8:15 or 8:30.

Zerbious
October 8th, 2016, 21:57
I rolled up the wizard I listed on the calendar, but have also played around in character creation with a bard.

kalmarjan
October 8th, 2016, 22:23
I've rolled up a High Elf Fighter. He came out pretty well too. Looking forward to Wednesday, though I may not be able to get on right at 8. More likely 8:15 or 8:30.

Not to worry. I'll put up the server and you all can log in at your convenience. :)

Rictor
October 9th, 2016, 04:21
Regarding backgrounds, do you mind if we mix and match a bit? I've decided to go variant human rogue and would like to combine the sage(apprentice) and urchin backgrounds.

kalmarjan
October 9th, 2016, 04:47
Regarding backgrounds, do you mind if we mix and match a bit? I've decided to go variant human rogue and would like to combine the sage(apprentice) and urchin backgrounds.

I'd rule it like this... You can combine them, but you can't add the features together. A background has two skill proficiencies (you could do one from each), two tool proficiencies OR languages (you could again mix and match), and ONE feature (you'll have to choose the feature most important to you.

Rictor
October 9th, 2016, 04:58
Right, I think that was what I was looking at doing. I was going to use the sage skills, one sage language, the urchin disguise kit (if that seems too much, I'd be happy with the second language instead), sage equipment, the urchin feature and a mixture of personality traits that make sense for an urchin essentially adopted by a mage.

kalmarjan
October 9th, 2016, 05:01
As long as theres a functional story for it, we'll make it work.

GunnarGreybeard
October 9th, 2016, 07:33
I have heard several mentioned but are we leaning towards a particular voice client for this game?

kalmarjan
October 9th, 2016, 07:54
This one I am not sure of. There is Teamspeak, but I also heard about another one, Discord? That one seems to be the one that twitch users gravitate to.

The one thing I didn't think about was the limitations of my laptop. We will see how good the streaming goes with the voice server...

GunnarGreybeard
October 9th, 2016, 08:01
The one thing I didn't think about was the limitations of my laptop. We will see how good the streaming goes with the voice server...
Yeah, that is one of the drawbacks of Skype, generating a heaver load on PC's than many other voice clients, at least from what I have heard.

kalmarjan
October 9th, 2016, 08:05
I used to use Skype from my phone, but that won't do streaming any good. :)

Zerbious
October 9th, 2016, 13:55
Yeah, that is one of the drawbacks of Skype, generating a heaver load on PC's than many other voice clients, at least from what I have heard.

That and it just plain blows. I play a "live" game via skype on Friday evenings... the DM (his first game as a DM) is a good friend that lives Canada and all the players are new to D&D, so he asked me to play in the game over skype. It's been nothing but horrible.

Bilz
October 9th, 2016, 14:12
Man, you guys are real night owls, aren't you? I see posts in the 2 and 3 AM hours. I was a snooze in my bed by 10:30 last night.

GunnarGreybeard
October 9th, 2016, 14:25
Man, you guys are real night owls, aren't you? I see posts in the 2 and 3 AM hours. I was a snooze in my bed by 10:30 last night.
I work from home, nights through the weekend so am on the PC all night. Bad thing is, I miss most of the actual gaming sessions during those times since I have to sleep sometime. :cry:

Zerbious
October 9th, 2016, 14:26
Man, you guys are real night owls, aren't you?

I do my best work at night, after my wife and kids go to bed and I work without interruption. I was up until 3am entering info into FG, I'm recreating old Basic D&D modules into 5e for FG.

kalmarjan
October 9th, 2016, 14:48
Ha ha I work the graveyard shift...

Rictor
October 11th, 2016, 15:31
So just tallying up the classes:
Me :Rogue/wizard
Bulkmaster: Barbarian
Gunnar: Cleric
Cscroop: Wizard
Firan: Sorcerer
Thejaven: cleric or druid
Valiant: Ranger or Bard
Zerbious: Wizard, bard or rogue
5 undecided

kalmarjan
October 11th, 2016, 15:46
Sounds about right... Seems like we are missing a straight up fighter?

GunnarGreybeard
October 11th, 2016, 16:02
Probably know for sure once people show up and start rolling for PC's tomorrow night at least for those that haven't already worked them up.

Rictor
October 11th, 2016, 16:23
True enough, I'm just on a long ride home with nothing better to do than see what we've got and work up a couple alternative ideas.

Bulkmaster
October 11th, 2016, 16:53
So just tallying up the classes:
Me :Rogue/wizard
Bulkmaster: Barbarian
Gunnar: Cleric
Cscroop: Wizard
Firan: Sorcerer
Thejaven: cleric or druid
Valiant: Ranger or Bard
Zerbious: Wizard, bard or rogue
5 undecided

yeah Bilz has a high elf fighter. I plan on multiclassing to fighter as well. Probably only a few levels of barbarian.

Bilz
October 11th, 2016, 18:12
Yeah, I did roll up a High Elf Fighter. Kalmarjan, I rolled actual dice for his stats, but I see on the calendar page that you wanted us to use the standard array or point buy system. Do I need to change the stats on my guy?

Zerbious
October 11th, 2016, 22:42

NOT IT!

I will typically play whatever the party needs, but In two games I currently play in... I'm a Fighter! I NEED a change of pace. :P

GunnarGreybeard
October 11th, 2016, 23:22
yeah Bilz has a high elf fighter. I plan on multiclassing to fighter as well. Probably only a few levels of barbarian.
I was/am hoping that Halfling Barbarian PC would come to fruition. I am dying to be able to at some point use the line, "Somebody go check on that little guy!" :rv:

Bulkmaster
October 12th, 2016, 00:58
I was/am hoping that Halfling Barbarian PC would come to fruition. I am dying to be able to at some point use the line, "Somebody go check on that little guy!" :rv:

Haha, well, i could easily be convinced to go halfling. It is by far my favorite race, though a little tougher to build a strength base character with the point buy system from the PHB. Also, how cool would a halfling dual wielding battle axes or flails or longswords be? it wouldnt be until 6th or 7th level, but still.

valiantcosmos
October 12th, 2016, 05:50
Hey all,

I created a human bard.

valiantcosmos
October 12th, 2016, 13:44
But I also created a gnome ranger and a half orc fighter.

Rictor
October 12th, 2016, 15:08
Did we ever settle on a voice program?

GunnarGreybeard
October 12th, 2016, 16:05
I do not think so, not yet.

valiantcosmos
October 12th, 2016, 17:08
Discord or Teamspeak works for me. Based on my limited use of both, they have both worked well.

Bilz
October 12th, 2016, 18:15
Did we ever settle on a voice program?

As this will be my first game with FG, I have no preference.

Zerbious
October 12th, 2016, 19:36
While I like Discord and use it while streaming, I might suggest for this we use the FG Teamspeak, since we all have access to it and will be playing games that often require it. It is ultimately kalmarjan's call, since he is the DM, but that's my 2 cents on the idea.

Rictor
October 12th, 2016, 20:55
The only one I don't currently have installed is teamspeak. I am good to go with discord or curse. I will download ts when I get home from work, just in case.

Side note, does anyone know if Athkatla, the capitol of Amn, still exists in 5e?

kalmarjan
October 13th, 2016, 00:17
Hey all,

Trying to set up the server now... and I'm getting the pesky failure ... Resolving now. Stay tuned for connection info!

Rictor
October 13th, 2016, 00:56
Teamspeak?

kalmarjan
October 13th, 2016, 00:59
I can't get either FG or Teamspeak through my stupid modem router right now. Frustrated. Just changed IP a week ago, and their tech support "Doesn't know how to do that."

Ha Ha Ha LOL

If anyone knows how to forward a port in a ZyXEL EMG2926 that would be greatly appreciated...

valiantcosmos
October 13th, 2016, 01:02
Is your fg server working?

Rictor
October 13th, 2016, 01:02
er I am not familiar with that particular router, but in case you didn't try already, there is always portforward.com: https://screenshots.portforward.com/routers/ZyXEL/EMG2926_-_Videotron/Port_Forwarding.htm

Rictor
October 13th, 2016, 01:04
If you have curse, my brother and I have a server set up that we can use in the interim.

kalmarjan
October 13th, 2016, 01:04
Okay folks... check the game calendar for the login info

Firan
October 13th, 2016, 01:05
Im not familiar with that particular model, but if you've been trying for a while and not having luck, might I suggest downloading Hamachi? Its the only way Ive been able to host a game on Fantasy Grounds. My Linksys Router and Shaw just dont like Fantasy Grounds. Here's the link https://www.vpn.net/ if you want to check it outn

valiantcosmos
October 13th, 2016, 01:07
Have you googled?

This is one link: https://screenshots.portforward.com/routers/ZyXEL/EMG2926_-_Videotron/

This is not the same model, but router ui's are often similar: https://support.zen.co.uk/kb/Knowledgebase/ZyXEL-VMG1312-VMG8924-Port-Forwarding

From the zyxel support center: https://support.zyxel.eu/Support/30062/30085/en-GB/Article/View/45998/Zyxel-Port-Forwarding-guide

valiantcosmos
October 13th, 2016, 01:09
Also, someone else might be able to host the voice chat if you can host FG.

kalmarjan
October 13th, 2016, 01:10
For now, it's better that someone else host the voice chat... I'll have to figure out the teamspeak later. My Google fu is pretty strong, but all the information and setting I have are in french, so it's a pain to figure out.

I'm off to work, so I'll let you all have fun on the server!

Zerbious
October 13th, 2016, 01:17
You forgot to open the books for players use on the server, kalmarjan.

valiantcosmos
October 13th, 2016, 01:20
You all can try this discord server I just created: https://discord.gg/db6VD

Also, what version of fantasy grounds are you using? My 3.2.0 might be incompatible.

GunnarGreybeard
October 13th, 2016, 03:45
Also, what version of fantasy grounds are you using? My 3.2.0 might be incompatible.
3.2.0 is the test/developer version.

GunnarGreybeard
October 13th, 2016, 04:03
Were you guys ever able to get up and running? Did you settle on a voice client?

Zerbious
October 13th, 2016, 04:17
Were you guys ever able to get up and running? Did you settle on a voice client?

Yes, several of us have our characters made. A bunch of us just signed into the FG Teamspeak during the character making session.

kalmarjan
October 13th, 2016, 04:34
I was able to get the FG up and running, but had to run off to work before I could get the Teamspeak configured.

Bilz
October 14th, 2016, 12:03
So Kal, did you get a chance to look over the characters? Are we good to go for Wednesday?

kalmarjan
October 14th, 2016, 13:33
Haven't had a chance just yet, will be running an event tonight at Fgcon, but will look them over tomorrow. :)

valiantcosmos
October 15th, 2016, 22:15
Hi Kalmarjan,

I made a bard character Pindar on your server Wed, but it's incomplete so I am enclosing the xml for the complete character and for a ranger in case that is a better fit.

Let me know if you have problems dealing with the xml files.

GunnarGreybeard
October 17th, 2016, 05:38
So what's the 'voice' plan for this coming Wednesday, Teamspeak? I still need to get my PC uploaded as well, do I need to arrange a time or wait until game night?

kalmarjan
October 17th, 2016, 11:43
I liked the team speak server (used it at FG Con) but noticed it used a lot of bandwidth. We could use that for now, unless there is a better alternative?

Trenloe
October 19th, 2016, 17:26
I liked the team speak server (used it at FG Con) but noticed it used a lot of bandwidth. We could use that for now, unless there is a better alternative?
Interested in what you thought was a lot of bandwidth? The most I've seen the TS server use is around 14kbps (kbits per second) which is hardly anything. As the solution is server based, the most bandwidth any individual connected to it will use is their own upload (14kbps or less, depending on what codec the channel uses) and similar download bandwidths. Where were you seeing it using a lot of bandwidth?

Zerbious
October 19th, 2016, 17:39
What time will the server be up this evening! Can't wait to get started, I am jonesing for a good game.

kalmarjan
October 19th, 2016, 18:57
Interested in what you thought was a lot of bandwidth? The most I've seen the TS server use is around 14kbps (kbits per second) which is hardly anything. As the solution is server based, the most bandwidth any individual connected to it will use is their own upload (14kbps or less, depending on what codec the channel uses) and similar download bandwidths. Where were you seeing it using a lot of bandwidth?

I'm not sure if it was a situation on my side, but I noticed that when I had FG hosting a session during Fgcon and I was connected on the Teamspeak channel I was unable to surf looking for reference images. I don't know if it's a case of my limited speed from my isp, or if it's that.

Trenloe
October 19th, 2016, 19:16
I'm not sure if it was a situation on my side, but I noticed that when I had FG hosting a session during Fgcon and I was connected on the Teamspeak channel I was unable to surf looking for reference images. I don't know if it's a case of my limited speed from my isp, or if it's that.
I think that's another issue - TeamSpeak will be using much less bandwidth than other voice clients. For example, Skype needs 30kbps minimum (twice the maximum that TS uses): https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA1417/how-much-bandwidth-does-skype-need Discord can be better than Skype (10-25kbps) which is still about the same as TS or slightly more bandwidth.

kalmarjan
October 19th, 2016, 19:29
What time will the server be up this evening! Can't wait to get started, I am jonesing for a good game.

I was thinking we use the FG centered server, and if all is well, we'll meet up there at 9 PM EST.

Just a note, I *might* get called into work at last minute (I work for Canada Post in an oncall position for the overnight shift.) If that happens, I'll be sure to let you know as soon as I get the call.

kalmarjan
October 19th, 2016, 19:32
I think that's another issue - TeamSpeak will be using much less bandwidth than other voice clients. For example, Skype needs 30kbps minimum (twice the maximum that TS uses): https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA1417/how-much-bandwidth-does-skype-need Discord can be better than Skype (10-25kbps) which is still about the same as TS or slightly more bandwidth.

Sometimes I think my system (windows 10, Acer Aspire E1-522, AMD Quad Core A4-5000, 6 GB Ram) is cobbled together with fairy dust and lost boy's wishes, because I use Skype from my cellphone while playing in games because it is too resource heavy on my system. I don't know if it's a bandwidth problem, or if it's a resource problem. I just know that my system hangs if I have both running at the same time.

Is there a place I can go to research how to clear this up?

Trenloe
October 19th, 2016, 19:41
Is there a place I can go to research how to clear this up?
It could be many different things. Your first step would be to monitor the system resources being used (CPU, Memory, Disk and Network) using the Windows Task Manager -> Performance tab. Start task manager by pressing three buttons at once: CTRL+SHIFT+ESC and when the "Task Manager" window comes up click "More details" in the bottom left (if you see "Fewer details" then you're already in the right place). Then click the "Performance" tab. When you're experiencing issues look at CPU, Memory, Disk and Ethernet (for wired connections) or Wi-Fi. If you're using WiFi click on "Wi-Fi" in the performance tab and see what the signal strength/connection speed is.

Also, what is your internet connection speed? Run a test at https://speedtest.net

GunnarGreybeard
October 20th, 2016, 00:30
I was thinking we use the FG centered server, and if all is well, we'll meet up there at 9 PM EST.
So I'm guessing this is pushed back an hour for start time?

kalmarjan
October 20th, 2016, 00:38
So I'm guessing this is pushed back an hour for start time?

Guys, I got called in tonight (I can not refuse, as I am on probation) so I will have to reschedule. I'm sorry for the short notice, but as I am a temporary on call employee, and I'm still in training. I have no choice...

Let's reschedule... Is it two weeks from now? (Someone has a game next week, if I remember correctly?)

GunnarGreybeard
October 20th, 2016, 00:47
Let's reschedule... Is it two weeks from now? (Someone has a game next week, if I remember correctly?)
It's just me that has a game next week afaik, but do not want to hold anyone else up. Please go ahead and plan for next week if you want to and can and I will jump where I can. I only ask that you post in the dates in the game calendar if time allows so that I can follow along the scheduling.

kalmarjan
October 20th, 2016, 00:59
Cool, I'll schedule it when I get home tomorrow morning

Firan
October 20th, 2016, 01:04
Things happen Kalmarjan, no worries. You had mentioned when you started this group that this could happen.

Well disappointing for sure, I'll console myself with watching the election debate from our friends to the south!! Have a good shift at work

Bilz
October 20th, 2016, 01:13
Disappointing, but understandable. Personally, I would prefer to reschedule for next week, or even tomorrow night, rather than wait another 2 weeks. That's my 2 cents.

Rictor
October 20th, 2016, 01:49
No problem at all, I am good any wednesday.

kalmarjan
October 23rd, 2016, 15:19
Hey guys, I scheduled a game, but I don't know if I did something wrong, because I don't see you guys on there? If you hop over to the game calendar, it should be there. It could be that I didn't "Confirm" (just saw that right now, and maybe that had something to do with it.)

Can't wait to see what the game will bring!

Bilz
October 23rd, 2016, 15:59
Hey guys, I scheduled a game, but I don't know if I did something wrong, because I don't see you guys on there? If you hop over to the game calendar, it should be there. It could be that I didn't "Confirm" (just saw that right now, and maybe that had something to do with it.)

Can't wait to see what the game will bring!

I see nothing. Also I looked on the main calendar page and saw no campaigns listed under your name.

kalmarjan
October 23rd, 2016, 16:59
Are you looking here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=2213)?

Bilz
October 23rd, 2016, 17:39
Yes, that's where I looked. I have the page bookmarked, but it came up blank on my tablet for some reason. It's there now. Strange.

Zerbious
October 26th, 2016, 18:27
Barring you getting called in to work tonight Kalmarjan, are we good to go this evening?

kalmarjan
October 26th, 2016, 19:51
Absolutely! If I get called in, then we will have to reschedule. It's weird right now because for the next while it's super busy with the mail. I found out the only night that I will for sure not be working is Saturday overnight because the plant itself is closed.

Bilz
October 26th, 2016, 20:33
I doubt I'll be able to get online by 8 PM eastern, but I hope to be online by 8:15 or so. I'll be there as soon as I can.

valiantcosmos
October 26th, 2016, 21:32
Hi Kalmarjan,

I posted two xml files a couple days ago in this thread for a ranger and bard character, wondered if you were able to upload them.

Also, what voice chat platform did you end up deciding to use?

kalmarjan
October 26th, 2016, 22:11
I have the two saved, we'll be able to import them no problem.

Haven't figured out the voice yet, thinking to use the community server, does anyone know if I'll be able to stream with Twitch with that?

If I get called in tonight, when is the next time I can schedule?

Rictor
October 26th, 2016, 22:16
In that event I am good all next week, except friday. Have a project due Saturday morning and may need friday night for last minute edits.

kalmarjan
October 26th, 2016, 22:21
Saturday night would be good for all, if I get called? We are pretty busy, but I think I will get called...

Rictor
October 26th, 2016, 22:34
I'm booked Thursday to Sunday. Next Saturday night might be ok, but weeknights are always better.

kalmarjan
October 26th, 2016, 23:00
Well... Crap. I've been called in.

Boo! I mean, I need to work, but I so want to game!
Weeknights are good for me too, but since I work for Canada Post, right now will be a busy time. Unfortunate it's also on call. (I'm a new employee who is on probabtion)

Is there a day that is best for everyone for the next schedule?

Rictor
October 28th, 2016, 19:54
Next Wednesday, I guess? Monday, Tuesday or Thursday would be fine for me, as well.

Bilz
October 29th, 2016, 17:37
Next Wednesday, I guess? Monday, Tuesday or Thursday would be fine for me, as well.

I cannot do Tuesday. I have another game that night. Wednesday would work for me, or we could do it on Saturdays, since we know that Kal won't get called in on those nights.

Trentis
October 29th, 2016, 19:40
sss

Zerbious
November 2nd, 2016, 12:10
Are we going to attempt for again tonight, barring Kalmarjan needing to work?

Rictor
November 2nd, 2016, 15:50
I am good to go, but I may be a little late.

kalmarjan
November 2nd, 2016, 18:16
Hey guys.... I don't know why, but I've got no internet! See this thread here

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34751-Direct-Ethernet-connection-problems-Anyone-know-how-to-help-windows-10&p=297863#post297863

I'm supposed to have a tech here shortly to. See of its fixed. Anyone play with 3.2 yet? I can't get it yet because I haven't had any connections

kalmarjan
November 2nd, 2016, 18:16
If I get everything up, we will be a playing.... Hopefully the new update won't break things....

Zerbious
November 2nd, 2016, 23:08
Any word on your system Kalm?

kalmarjan
November 2nd, 2016, 23:13
Just updated the thread over there. So, aparently I am without internet until Friday because.... Get this... The tech says "Power surges,"

I am so not a happy guy right now. That's 8 hours of my life I won't get back, and still no resolution.

The bigger problem is I haven't even had a chance to update to the new FG and see all the bells and whistles...

I'm really sorry guys. I'm super pissed

Bulkmaster
November 2nd, 2016, 23:32
Wow that really sucks... good luck with that man.

Any chance of moving the game to this Saturday?

kalmarjan
November 2nd, 2016, 23:37
I'm game if anyone else is? Time? I'd sooooo love to get something on the go

Zerbious
November 2nd, 2016, 23:44
Well that just plain sucks, I can't go 10 mins without internet, so I feel for you!

Why the heck do you have to wait until Friday, that is pretty lame. The techs that come out for service here have several in their trucks.

Depending on what time Saturday, I should be able to play.

Good luck and I hope they get it fixed for you.

kalmarjan
November 2nd, 2016, 23:46
That's the beauty of a unionized tech service. Lol.

The only internet I have is cellular, and that's unavailable in certain spots of my house. Lol

Bilz
November 3rd, 2016, 00:12
I'm game for Saturday, but I cannot start until around 8:15 eastern time at best.

Bulkmaster
November 3rd, 2016, 13:14
Saturday at 9 eastern would work for me

Rictor
November 3rd, 2016, 14:10
I should be good to go Saturday as well, but a start time after 9 would be appreciated.

Bulkmaster
November 4th, 2016, 16:56
Woops! I know i suggested it, but something came up and i am no longer available on saturday. Sorry about that

Rictor
November 7th, 2016, 16:59
One more try this wednesday?

valiantcosmos
November 7th, 2016, 21:23
I'm withdrawing from the group. Good luck to you all.

Zerbious
November 9th, 2016, 18:49
kalmarjan, did you ever get your internet issues resolved? Are we attempting to start the campaign tonight?

Firan
November 9th, 2016, 21:09
I'm going to resign from the group as well.
Have a great campaign folks!!

keyroll
November 10th, 2016, 00:29
I would be intrested in doing this campaing, has it started yet, do you accept demo players and what time and day is it planned to run?

kalmarjan
November 11th, 2016, 00:50
Back! It looks like two players have dropped out. For some reason I don't think the calendar is working for me, and I'm not getting an email.notificstion for this thread anymore. I apologize for not being around, but I thought there wasn't any action going on here...

Internet issues resolved. Turned out to be a problem.with Hydro Quebec (that explains the 4 modems and routers I've now gone through.)

I'm going to be rebooting things, with a new campaign option. It looks like given my situation with a new job, and being constantly on call for the graveyard shift has thrown a wrench into a weeknight playing time. I'll nail down a better time for playing shortly here, and we can get on track.

keyroll
November 11th, 2016, 01:02
Stil intrested here, till further notice.

Bilz
November 11th, 2016, 23:41
Back! It looks like two players have dropped out. For some reason I don't think the calendar is working for me, and I'm not getting an email.notificstion for this thread anymore. I apologize for not being around, but I thought there wasn't any action going on here...

Internet issues resolved. Turned out to be a problem.with Hydro Quebec (that explains the 4 modems and routers I've now gone through.)

I'm going to be rebooting things, with a new campaign option. It looks like given my situation with a new job, and being constantly on call for the graveyard shift has thrown a wrench into a weeknight playing time. I'll nail down a better time for playing shortly here, and we can get on track.

I'm still interested in playing, but honestly, a Saturday night game would work best for me.

Tanarion
November 12th, 2016, 02:32
I'm fairly new to VTT, but I've played many pnp rpg's over the years and would be interested in trying out this adventure.

Wolf Cline
November 12th, 2016, 04:18
are willing to accept new players

yami_khavi
November 12th, 2016, 07:02
Looks fun! If you're looking for any new players, I'd be interested in joining. :)

Rictor
November 12th, 2016, 18:30
My brother and I remain interested. But a friday or saturday night game would be hard to consistently make.

Trenloe
November 13th, 2016, 03:01
For some reason I don't think the calendar is working for me, and I'm not getting an email.notificstion for this thread anymore.
You only get one email notification. You need to re-visit the thread to reset the notification and allow a new notification to be sent. This is mentioned in the FG email notification: "There may also be other replies, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again."

kalmarjan
November 13th, 2016, 21:50
A saturday night works best for me (it's the only night that I am guaranteed to not get a call...) otherwise daytime works for me, sometime between 830 AM EST to 1 PM EST

Bulkmaster
November 14th, 2016, 16:06
Saturday nights would be good most of the time for me. I would probably need to miss a session every once in a while. I can't do daytime during the week.

Bilz
November 14th, 2016, 16:17
I could do Saturday nights. Daytime doesn't work for me either.

keyroll
November 15th, 2016, 01:01
I can do saturday nights if you will have me.

kalmarjan
November 15th, 2016, 01:28
Hmm Saturday sounds great then. Perhaps every two weeks is best?

Also, being that I'll start a new thread, how committed are we to Lost mines? It can be open ended, we can play another campaign, or we could even play a campaign path I'm writing right now (and you all could be the test subjects, so to speak...)

What sayeth the crowd?

keyroll
November 15th, 2016, 01:39
Personally I am very new and would like to finish Lost Mines, have only gotten to the second encounter, but I am not married with it.

kalmarjan
November 15th, 2016, 04:06
Forgot to add... I don't have the FG version of the Volvo's guide, but I DO have the print version...

Bilz
November 15th, 2016, 04:24
Every other Saturday would work for me, hopefully. I'm currently playing in another game doing the same thing. Alternation would be good. My Tuesday game is going thru the Mines now, so I would be cool with something different.

Bilz
November 17th, 2016, 14:48
So Kal, are we going to try to play this Saturday night, or what?

kalmarjan
November 19th, 2016, 00:27
It won't be this Saturday Night. I am currently putting a campaign together, and will be posting something on a new thread and game calendar. Let's shoot for Saturday, Dec 3. I KNOW I will be free, and the wife will be out of town too! (Woo hoo!)

Bilz
November 19th, 2016, 00:29
Sounds good. I should be available that night.

Rictor
November 23rd, 2016, 22:09
Ill try to be available for the 3rd. Regarding lost mines, I say run whatever you want.

kalmarjan
November 27th, 2016, 16:35
Here's the new campaign listing The Crossroads (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?35251-5E-The-Crossroads-Every-2nd-Sat-night-9-PM-EST)