PDA

View Full Version : How to add ammo to a weapon?

Myrdin Potter
October 5th, 2016, 15:58
I am working on a ranger character now that has a longbow with silver and regular arrows.

For a melee weapon, I just edit the weapon and add silver as a damage type. I can right click in the weapons area of the action tab and create a weapon there but I cannot see how to add ammo (something typed in properties)? I assume I can create an item as well and basically copy the long bow but give it a slightly different name.

Finally, I also assume I can create an effect that makes damage also silvered?

What I ended up doing was just dragging and dropping a +1 long bow into inventory and then editing that to remove the magic bonuses and description and adding silver as a damage type. That worked but is there a more elegant way to do this?

Zacchaeus
October 5th, 2016, 16:25
Make sure that you have the subtype as Simple (or Martial) Ranged Weapons and give it the Ammunition property (with a range). To make the damage silver add that after the actual damage type (so 1d8 piercing, silver).

Myrdin Potter
October 5th, 2016, 16:28
That involves creating a specific item, right? Not right-clicking in the weapons section, creating an item in the campaign and dragging and dropping it? Then if I share the characters, the item links to something that also has to be shared?

LordEntrails
October 5th, 2016, 17:44
That involves creating a specific item, right? Not right-clicking in the weapons section, creating an item in the campaign and dragging and dropping it? Then if I share the characters, the item links to something that also has to be shared?

Just add another "Action" to the character sheet. Name it something like "Longbow (Silvered Arrows)". Then if you make sure that action has the properties as Z said you just have to adjust the number of silvered arrows you have. Then their is no item in your campaign item list, nothing to have to share etc.

Moon Wizard
October 5th, 2016, 17:45
I would usually just make a second weapon entry for the silver arrows, copy the data from the regular long bow, and add silver to the damage type.

Regards,
JPG

Myrdin Potter
October 5th, 2016, 18:58
I think I got it.

Right click and add a new weapon action.

Click the little sword and change it to an arrow. Ammo comes up.

Edit the damage control and copy longbow but also have silver.

Then I have a self contained character.

What I type in the new action in properties does not seem to matter.

I don't want to link to a new item I created as I just want to distribute the character xml.

Myrdin Potter
October 5th, 2016, 19:21
And if you are the DM, and want to make an item inside your campaign that can be used over and over, then:

Create a new item and copy the longbow except for the name. In the damage type, add silver to the piercing already there. So you get "piercing, silver" in the damage type box. When you drag the new item into inventory, the action and ammo and such are handled automatically. This is what Moon Wizard (and Zaccaueus in shorthand) suggested.

I once again have delayed Unity by having Moon Wizard answer one of my questions. The wrath of the player base will descend on me. :-p