PDA

View Full Version : Hero Labs benefit?

rob2e
October 4th, 2016, 23:55
Did a little (little!) reading on Hero Labs. Seems it's mainly used for character generation. I saw some talk about how integrating with FG. Anyone have any news on that, or what the benefit(s) of that might be?

Zacchaeus
October 5th, 2016, 00:04
It's exactly a character generator. All the rules for 5e are programmed in so it won't let you create an 'illegal' character. It also considerably automates the process. So, for example, it will correctly compute armour class depending on what armour is equipped taking account of all the factors that goes into that. Now despite having a close friend who is one of the driving forces behind Hero Lab I have no idea whether the 5e output from Hero Lab can be imported into FG yet, but I know it is the intention. They were close to achieving this when I spoke to him at Gen Con.

rob2e
October 5th, 2016, 00:07
And it seems they only have SRD info, not the full WotC stuff, except their community built and widely untested stuff? Just wondering if it's something I might like, or if I'm over feeding my D&D habit (because I have a problem). {scratches inside of elbow}...

JohnD
October 5th, 2016, 00:42
Well, it will let you make an illegal character but it will flag/warn you and also say specifically what is out of order. For 3.5 and Pathfinder at least.

Zacchaeus
October 5th, 2016, 00:48
Yes it only has the SRD, and yes JD you make a good point. It does allow illegal characters but makes it clear that you have created one and why.

Gwydion
October 5th, 2016, 01:17
And it seems they only have SRD info, not the full WotC stuff, except their community built and widely untested stuff? Just wondering if it's something I might like, or if I'm over feeding my D&D habit (because I have a problem). {scratches inside of elbow}...

I have hero lab and realmworks. Hero lab is nice for initial builds as I send it to the players for offline viewing. The community builds are very good in my experience. I really like them having spell details and other power details offline. Still probably a nice to have and duplicate work. There is an import into fg I tried but if memory serves it is still in pretty basic form and doesn't have a lot of the bells and whistles. Drawback is duplicate work to keep characters up to date outside fg and every person needs a license unless you just send them the PDF only.

Nylanfs
October 6th, 2016, 00:38
(Cough) PCGen (cough

Trenloe
October 6th, 2016, 03:02
(Cough) PCGen (cough
Support for 5E importing into Fantasy Grounds?

Koreapsu
October 6th, 2016, 04:38
I've had Herolab for years and still just use FG to make characters. FG 3.2 is even better - roll on that release.

Nylanfs
October 6th, 2016, 13:04
Support for 5E importing into Fantasy Grounds?

Last time I imported my monk yes. I imagine that spellcasters import with the same problems that they do with Pathfinder. The spells are a pain.

Krimson
October 6th, 2016, 20:43
Someone on the Hero Lab forums made an importer for 5e. It's not perfect but it does work. The thread is here (https://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=55757) and the direct link to the importer is here (https://ai6k.com/dnd5e/).