PDA

View Full Version : LFG + GM - Lost Mines of Phandelver - Saturdays @ 8 pm

Ramtrap
October 4th, 2016, 03:31
About me, I'm 36 with a wife and two very young daughters, so the night start time works best after they're put to bed. I had an awesome experience with an FG member (Answulf) who helped my friends and I get the basics and I've been absolutely hooked ever since, but I haven't found a regular group. (I do play live every couple weeks, going through the Hoard of the Dragon Queen campaign, but that's on hold for the next month because the GM is helping his parents move).

I am a relatively new player to D&D. I have played through the first cave of the Lost Mines of Phandelver once a while ago, but would really like to go through this campaign as I know it's a good jumping off point and have heard good things about the mission/campaign as a whole. Further, for relatively new D&D players, it scratches a lot of the itches you want scratched.

What I would like to do is find a group of people willing to commit to a weekly game, and obviously, it would be great to find a GM with an Ultimate License willing to go through the adventure with the goal to build on to the missions; maybe jump into another pre-made or go home-brew--whatever the group wants to do.

Friday and Saturday nights work the best for me, around 8 or 9 EST, but I can alter slightly, if needed.

As far as the game experience I am looking for, I want to keep it pretty simple. Either do a point buy or the standard point array for characters--rolling, I've found, allows for too great a character. Maybe it'd be fun to assign points and allow someone to risk re-rolling one stat, but that's all the GM's discretion, as far as I'm concerned.

If any of this sounds like something you're in to, if we can get a GM, and a party of 4 or 5, that'd be great. Then the GM could decide what he/she feels is best as far as character builds (would again prefer standard point array or point buys, but there should always be some elements of surprise and fun, so I defer to the GM). I, myself, don't care what race/class I play, but just want to play with a group who are in it to have fun, won't end up quitting half-way through the campaign (or first dungeon), and want to build something through this campaign that could turn into further adventuring.

Anyone interested?

kalmarjan
October 4th, 2016, 05:03
Man, this is so up my alley. I am starting a job with Canada Post on Oct 11,but I'm going to be working the graveyard shift, and it's an on call position. I'd GM for you guys, but I can't guarantee my attendance, unless it were more of a day game. If I were to be called in, I'd have to start work at 11 PM EST.

Ramtrap
October 5th, 2016, 01:04
I'm up for some alternative start times, just got to find a group that's willing to stick it out.

ZCapitan
October 5th, 2016, 02:55
I would be up for Friday or Saturday night games. I am also new to D&D and FG. I got into it by going on a Critical Role marathon. I am looking for a group that is just looking to have fun on a consistent basis building on fun story lines. I would need a little bit of hand holding at first in regards to how to use FG, but this would be great. I assume that the new group would start at L1?

kalmarjan
October 5th, 2016, 02:58
Well, if you are all game, I could for sure set something up as a GM... Do you all have a license, or do I need to get an ultimate license?

ZCapitan
October 5th, 2016, 03:12
I do have a license.

Ramtrap
October 5th, 2016, 03:45
Well, if you are all game, I could for sure set something up as a GM... Do you all have a license, or do I need to get an ultimate license?

I'm still paying monthly for an Ultimate license but I don't have anything bought insofar as maps or tokens or character sheets or anything; though I could do that if I find reason, for sure! I have the Player Guide (hardcover) but I'm still new to FG, but I think I've got the basics. Would obviously be better if someone has the campaign and the player guide, which I'd be willing to chip in for, if necessary.

Ramtrap
October 5th, 2016, 03:49
I watched a couple Critical Role clips, but got more into this watching Acquisitions Incorporated at first, then listening to Brian Posehn's "Nerd Poker" podcast (which has ended, as of now, but I'm powering through number 81 so far in the last month or so), and what I think *really* sold me, was Force Grey, with Michael Mercer, Brian Posehn, Chris Hardwick, Ashley Johnson and a few others. Really good stuff!

Firan
October 5th, 2016, 05:09
I would be very much interested in joining the group as well! I'm 38 with two young boys and either Friday nights or alternating Saturday evenings would work for me! I'm of a similar mindset as Ramtrap, in that I'm looking for something long term. Still learning 5e and FG, but I have a Standard License and the Core Handbook.

kalmarjan
October 5th, 2016, 05:29
I am in much the same situation as you guys. I'm 40, and have a 9 year old. LOL. I think it would be awesome to start out with Lost Mines, and then see where it takes us?

Why don't we set something up for after FG Con? I can switch my licence to an Ultimate. I don't have the other Core Pack yet (Saving up for it) but we still would have enough to play.

Ramtrap
October 5th, 2016, 10:19
Sound good to me. Gives us all time to figure out a core group and prep for the campaign. As far as creating characters, we should probably each have an idea of what we want and depending on what content we each have, build our characters. For those still green to Fantasy Grounds (including myself), there's this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nurEMR4JJeU) if you want to create your character. But I'd like us all to have an idea of what we all want to play so our party is balanced. And if we have a party of 4 or 5, that would be ideal. Cool?

kalmarjan
October 5th, 2016, 12:58
Sounds awesome to me. Why don't you guys go ahead and post your character ideas here, and we can get an idea of what we are getting into. I'll start reading through the adventure to get an idea of what's going on. :)

GunnarGreybeard
October 5th, 2016, 22:46
Are you guys committed to it being a Saturday game? I'm thinking about a Lost Mines of Phandelver game but it would need to be on a weeknight, mid week probably due to work hours.

kalmarjan
October 5th, 2016, 22:49
So far nothing has been committed... If I am going to GM, the only thing is that I'll be expected to be available for an on-call position for graveyard shifts... If we keep sessions below 4 hours long and keep it during the week, it could work out okay. In fact, it might be a better sell to the wives (at least mine, who works and has the weekends off)

kalmarjan
October 5th, 2016, 22:49
Also another question, are you guys up to be on a twitch stream? I'd like to join that community and get our game out there for FG...

GunnarGreybeard
October 5th, 2016, 23:05
Understand the work schedule. I'm not on call but I work nights through the weekend which really puts the damper on my gaming window. Tuesday and Wednesday nights are all I have with any time being OK, starting early evening or even later in the evening, to accommodate players in other time zones and not incur the wrath of their significant other.

I have the ultimate license and PHB (Core Class thingy) and Monster Manual but not any of the official adventures. I am planning to purchase Lost Mines of Phandelver if I know I can get a group together.

Firan
October 5th, 2016, 23:08
Twitch is totally cool with me. I'm voice only as I'm waiting on a Logitech C920 to go on sale �� Any evening except for Tuesday during the week works better for me as well. To answer Kalmarjan's earlier question, I'm considering a human Warlock for the game, but I'm not opposed to anything to accommodate the group.

GunnarGreybeard
October 5th, 2016, 23:15
I've only done text for the last few years but I could do voice BUT it would be voice only as well. My laptop screen is broke so I us an old monitor with my laptop screen pushed all the way back and pointed at the ceiling. Maybe come Christmas I'll have a new laptop but not likely until then. ;-)

ZCapitan
October 5th, 2016, 23:45
Also another question, are you guys up to be on a twitch stream? I'd like to join that community and get our game out there for FG...

Yeah, no problem with the Twitch stream. Also, weekdays are mostly fine but will have to be late. 4 hours is quite a bit to commit to, but 2.5-3 is doable. In terms of character I was thinking about a draconian ranger leaning towards the good side but not the traditional Lawful Good. Someone who never understood the worship of Bahamut.

GunnarGreybeard
October 5th, 2016, 23:48
draconian ranger
Haven't heard draconian in a while. maybe one day there will be a 5e Dragonlance. I would definitely be down for that.

kalmarjan
October 5th, 2016, 23:54
All sounds good. Just to clarify, is it me running the adventure?

We can nail down a time that is good for all. For me, of its say, 8 PM est that should be good, the only caveat is that sometimes I may be texted to go to work. This is assuming I'm not scheduled for it.

As for the twitch, I can run the screen, but I was thinking only voice for the players, until I can figure out a way to do it...

GunnarGreybeard
October 6th, 2016, 00:21
For Twitch, you would need to run it, you seem to be the only one with video capability atm. For time, if Tuesday, I can start any time, if Wednesday. I cannot start until about 9:15 PM EST (am in CDT time) as I have to go and pick up my son at that time (takes about 15 minutes). If we start at 8:15 PM EST, I will have to take that break an hour after we start.

NOTE: Right now I have another Wed night game (have had some players drop out) I will need to decide on suspending or going to every other week. If I go every other week there, I can only do every other week in this game. Another option I guess, would be to see if they want to come and play in this game instead as long as there is room???? Either way I will need to confirm with them before fully committing to this one but I am definitely interested in this one.

For voice, I have only used Skype but am open to others, will just need to install and configure (I think I have TeamSpeak installed, but have never used it).

kalmarjan
October 6th, 2016, 00:32
I'm down for all... This will be my first real foray into 5e since DMing in 3.5, so it will be a great way to learn for all involved.

The time seems to be right too. I start my job on Oct 11, and from there I'll find out for sure what my schedule is... But I can't wait to see what is up.

Also, Draconian... Sounds like a cool concept. Would it turn to stone, explode, or turn to acid if and when it dies?

GunnarGreybeard
October 6th, 2016, 00:44
Well, now that we hijacked Ramtrap's thread :bandit: , we should see what he has to say too. We can see what the others say as well.

Firan
October 6th, 2016, 00:56
Whatever time works for everyone else is fine for me. I'm MST, so EST evenings work better for my situation. My FLGS just started a Tuesday night Adventurer's League game as of yesterday, so I'm kind of hoping any other weeknight works out for everyone else.

GunnarGreybeard
October 6th, 2016, 01:25
I would say Wednesday then, starting at either 8 or 9PM EST then? Does everyone have a license. We will need to wait for the GM to get Lost Mines as well. We could work up draft characters and post the xml's?

I hope the "Saturdays @ 8 pm" in the thread title is not causing potential players to skip over it. Maybe we should start another thread?

kalmarjan
October 6th, 2016, 01:38
If I am the GM, then I can run the adventure, no problem.

We can start a new thread if we all agree?

GunnarGreybeard
October 6th, 2016, 01:45
If I am the GM, then I can run the adventure, no problem.
Sounds good then if you are up for it.

We can start a new thread if we all agree?
Probably a good idea. Keep it vague in the title and maybe start a Game Calendar entry too?

ZCapitan
October 6th, 2016, 02:14
I would say Wednesday then, starting at either 8 or 9PM EST then? Does everyone have a license. We will need to wait for the GM to get Lost Mines as well. We could work up draft characters and post the xml's?

I hope the "Saturdays @ 8 pm" in the thread title is not causing potential players to skip over it. Maybe we should start another thread?

I would have to do 9:00 pm or later on a Wednesday

GunnarGreybeard
October 6th, 2016, 02:20
If that is 9PM EST I'm thinking that should be OK. Once we get the calendar set up, if you have your time zone in the forum profile, it should convert it to your local time for the session/game times as they are posted.

Ramtrap
October 6th, 2016, 02:24

Yeah, so the whole reason I put the title as I did on the thread to start was because I can't work anything out at 8 or 9 pm on weekdays. I'm at work by 5 AM, and doing what I do, I can't drive an hour, work for 8, drive an hour and a half back, and be able to function.

So Friday or Saturday is what I can work with, but not much else.

Also, I have two kids, which is another reason I was staying away from the weekdays because I'd like to see them a little. So...if that can't work for you, another thread would be appreciated.

Thanks.

GunnarGreybeard
October 6th, 2016, 02:49
Yeah, so the whole reason I put the title as I did on the thread to start was because I can't work anything out at 8 or 9 pm on weekdays. I'm at work by 5 AM, and doing what I do, I can't drive an hour, work for 8, drive an hour and a half back, and be able to function.

So Friday or Saturday is what I can work with, but not much else.

Also, I have two kids, which is another reason I was staying away from the weekdays because I'd like to see them a little. So...if that can't work for you, another thread would be appreciated.
Yeah, sorry about that, we kind of got carried away. We'll start another thread here shortly.

Ramtrap
October 6th, 2016, 02:57
Yeah, sorry about that, we kind of got carried away. We'll start another thread here shortly.

Not a problem. I'm just as stoked to get going as anyone else! Wish I were able to do a weekday, but just not in the cards for me.

w1lly0
October 6th, 2016, 04:57
Can't tell if you have a group going or if you're back to square one but I might be interested as a player for Fridays or Saturday, Ramtrap. ...If you care to put up with a rather rusty player. Also, I'd be new to FG as well.

damned
October 6th, 2016, 06:07
All of you new players (excuse me Ramtrap) please go and check out FG Con 9 while you are at it. Try some games (and not just 5e) and meet some other players and GMs and this will help you find more games in the future.

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/fgcon9-sig6.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)
FG Con 9 – Fantasy Grounds Online RPG Convention - October 14-16 2016
Register at www.fg-con.com (https://www.fg-con.com/) for all the latest info.

Ramtrap
October 6th, 2016, 10:07
Can't tell if you have a group going or if you're back to square one but I might be interested as a player for Fridays or Saturday, Ramtrap. ...If you care to put up with a rather rusty player. Also, I'd be new to FG as well.

Yes, I'm basically back to square one. Right now, me, shifter and you are three people who can do Fri/Sat. Still would like to find one or two more and then a GM.

ZCapitan
October 6th, 2016, 14:57
Yes, I'm basically back to square one. Right now, me, shifter and you are three people who can do Fri/Sat. Still would like to find one or two more and then a GM.

I can do Fri. Saturday a bit trickier depending on the time.

Ramtrap
October 7th, 2016, 01:57
I can do Fri. Saturday a bit trickier depending on the time.

Okay, so I have the following interested so far:

User Name Best Day Best Time
Ramtrap Fri/Sat >8pm
shifter Fri/Sat >8pm
w1lly0 Fri/Sat >8pm
Zcapitan Friday >8pm
valiantcosmos Fri/Sat >8 pm

That's 4. Would like to have at least one more person as a GM, potentially one more person as a PC. And all should be able to commit to playing, ideally, through Phandelver and beyond once finished with that.

Once we have a core group ready, we can figure out classes and all that, but feel free to post if you're already running with an idea. Just go with either a standard Point Buy with 27 points to spend OR standard array scores of 15, 13, 13, 12, 10, 8 (see pg 13 in PHB or pages 7 & 8 here --> https://media.wizards.com/2014/downloads/dnd/playerdndbasicrules_v0.2.pdf).

valiantcosmos
October 7th, 2016, 03:19
Hi guys,
I've got two young kids as well and would like to find a Lost Mine's game starting at 8pm or later. Relatively new to DnD, all on FG; have played a wizard, but would like to branch out.
So keep me in mind to fill out the party if you find a GM.

Thanks.

Ramtrap
October 7th, 2016, 03:22
Will do! Updating previous post with your name, as well. I've never GM'd, and I'm not well-versed in FG, but if we can't find anyone, I don't mind taking on that role, but it'll be a learning curve. Obviously, someone better grounded in FG and GMing is ideal, but if it's a group of people that are dedicated to branching on past Phandelver, I'm all about learning new things!

Ramtrap
October 8th, 2016, 18:41
I created a new thread, given how this one got a little off the tracks. It's here, if you're interested.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34394-Lost-Mines-of-Phandelver-Weekend-Game&p=293327#post293327

Thanks!