PDA

View Full Version : New to site and need some help

Jaekaido
October 4th, 2016, 01:05
My name is Jeryl and would like a basic rundown of how this site works. i would like to find a D&D 3.5 game and I don't really know how to search for games. I think I applied to two games but I am not sure. I used the game calendar, but for the most part I am not sure how to find games. I would also need help figuring out how to set up my character. I know how but I am not used to this program/site. I have the books that I need and know how to make a character but trying to use the character sheet in fantasy grounds is driving me nuts. Any help would be nice. Thank you in advance.

Trenloe
October 4th, 2016, 01:11
Welcome Jaekaido.

You're best applying to games via threads in the Looking for Games (LFG) sub-forum. Most GM's will ignore anyone which just applies on the game calendar but doesn't reach out to the GM. By all means use the game calendar to find a suitable game and then PM the GM, and try to find a thread relating to the game in the LFG sub-forum, read it (it may say the game is over, is full up, etc.) and post a note on the game thread saying you're interested.

For getting to know FG have a look at the videos in the Wiki: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Videos Pathfinder is 99.9% the same as 3.5E in the FG ruleset, so anything you see for Pathfinder will be relevant to 3.5e as well. There's also some info here: https://www.fg-con.com/information/pathfinder-society-organized-play/preparing-your-pc-for-fantasy-grounds/ Which covers entering manually and importing from HeroLab or PCGen.

damned
October 4th, 2016, 02:30
Hey Jaekaido

If you are a new player looking for games your best bet is always going to be the following:

1. Work out your Timezone and Availability in: UTC, UTC+2, PST/PDT, MST/MDT, CST/CDT, EST/EDT, UTC+9 (Japan), AEST and UTC+12 (NZ). These are the most common timezones that games get advertised in. Work out your availability on each day and how it reads in these timezones.
2. Even if you *really* want to play 5e or any specific ruleset for that matter, accept that you might not find your ideal game in your ideal timeslot, so open your mind to the possibility that some other game system might also be fun AND you will meet other players and other GMs every time you play. Most groups will recruit someone they know (and like!) before they recruit someone they dont know yet.
3. Set your location in your profile, your Timezone in your profile settings, consider adding a signature that tells us something useful about you - favourite genres, favourite systems, availability, favourite quote - whatever...
4. Trawl this forum often. Often is every day.
5. Read every LFP post - read back 2 weeks the first time and from then on you just need to read the new/updated posts. Read every post where a GM is looking for players regardless of the ruleset. Many GMs/Groups play lots of stuff (my group plays 5e, Castles&Crusades, CallOfCthulhu, TrailOfCthulhu, StarWars, SavageWorlds, Shadowrun, DungeonWorld) so you might start playing something that sort of suits you and find an awesome group who just have a great time playing together. But back on track Read the post and how the GM wants you to apply - some want PMs or Calendar or a Post.
6. Apply! And make sure you respond to questions and invites. And if a game isnt working for you - have a chat with the GM and excuse yourself. Dont disappear without an explanation - remember that bit about people playing with people they know - and like - dont burn your bridges.

And check out FG Con 9 - lots of Pathfinder but no 3.5e I dont think.

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/fgcon9-sig2.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)
FG Con 9 – Fantasy Grounds Online RPG Convention - October 14-16 2016
Register at www.fg-con.com (https://www.fg-con.com/) for all the latest info.

Jaekaido
October 4th, 2016, 02:30
Thank you so much.

dulux-oz
October 4th, 2016, 02:31
Hi Jeryl, and Welcome! to the Community,

If you haven't done so already, let me encourage you to take a look at some of the great Tutorial Videos available on the Fantasy Grounds Wiki (and on YouTube). Damn's are good, as are Xorn's, and people seem to like mine as well (mine are also available from the links in my sig, below).

Start with the ones on the CoreRPG, because the CoreRPG forms the foundation of just about all the RPGs we play with Fantasy Grounds - so by learning how to use FG with the CoreRPG you'll learn about 80% of what you'll need to know to play any RPG with Fantasy Grounds. Once you've gone through the CoreRPG Videos you can then go on to Videos about your chosen RPG.

When you get familiar with the basic Fantasy Grounds product the next step is to check out some of the Extensions (Plug-Ins) for FG, such as the DOE: Sound, DOE: Locations, DOE: Weather and DOE: Organisations Extensions (to name a but a few).

And keep on asking questions - we're a pretty friendly lot here, and we love answering questions.

Cheers