PDA

View Full Version : How to appropriately apply the cover modifer to a character/npc

Tuendal
October 3rd, 2016, 17:59
So i'm looking around hoping to DM my first session with some friends from college. I was looking through the features and one of the items i'm not really grasping the concept of how to do in FG is apply cover. I see it in the Modifiers button, i can add increase it or what not, but let's say i have a goblin hiding behind a crate so he has half-cover which grants +2 to his AC. How or where would i apply the modifier? Would it be a negative modifier to the to hit roll of the character targeting the goblin, or would it add +2 to the AC of the goblin when the attack roll was done by the PC? I have never DM'ed before and this will be my first time using FG to do it as well (I have played a few sessions as a PC in FG). So just trying to better understand how to use the modifier and effects when appropriate.

Thanks for any help or guidance.

Tuen

Zacchaeus
October 3rd, 2016, 18:02
It works either as an increase to the AC or as a penalty to the hit. How you apply it is to click on the cover modifier button before the character rolls to hit and FG will take account of that and take it into consideration when deciding if the character hit or not.

LordEntrails
October 3rd, 2016, 18:29
Since cover is often not applied against all opponents, the way Zacchaeus says to do it is most common. So, in this instance here's how it works;
- The player says "Ok, I target the goblin hiding behind the crate." (and he targets him in FG using ctrl-select or another method)
- You reply "Ok, he has partial cover, apply the -2 modifier please."
- The player clicks the -2 button then rolls his attack (or drag it or whichever method they prefer). FG then will apply the -2 to the attack roll and show you the results (and the modifiers). Then if it's a hit, the player can just roll the damage and it will be applied.

If instead your goblin is behind an arrow slit or a window and you know that all attacks against him are going to be at -5, you can apply an effect on the combat tracker like "Cover;AC:5" with a duration of zero (never expires). Then you're players never have to add a modifier and FG will add it against ALL attacks against that goblin.

Tuendal
October 3rd, 2016, 19:21
ok, that makes sense. soooo many things to keep track of...first time DM'ing...not for the weak at heart...

rob2e
October 3rd, 2016, 22:12
It seems to me that you can also apply effects in the combat tracker for a (semi)permanent situation. If the goblin is never coming out from behind the crate...

The following effects are nice:

COVER (which will apply a -2 penalty)
SCOVER (which will apply a -5 penalty)

Look here for more great stuff: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects

kalmarjan
October 4th, 2016, 02:12
This would also apply if you are firing through melee, right? Would there be a way to have it automatically apply if you're targeting someone and the line of fire crosses through an occupied square? (Thinking out loud, and also realizing I wouldn't have the foggiest clue how to implement that...)

Trenloe
October 4th, 2016, 02:20
you can apply an effect on the combat tracker like "Cover;AC:5" with a duration of zero (never expires).
I'd recommend sticking with effects of only COVER or SCOVER as mentioned by Rob2e - otherwise there's the chance of FG applying two modifiers - the one for cover and AC +5.

And, as usual with FG, there's more than one way to skin a kobold - you can also open the Modifiers window and click either the "Cover" or "Sup Cover" button before rolling the attack. This is different from the -2 and -5 buttons below the chat window as the attack roll will report [COVER -2] or [COVER -5], whereas the -2 and -5 buttons just report [-2] or [-5] in the chat window the attack is rolled.

So, three ways to do it: -2/-5 buttons below the chat window, effect on the target or the buttons in the Modifier window.

Trenloe
October 4th, 2016, 02:22
This would also apply if you are firing through melee, right? Would there be a way to have it automatically apply if you're targeting someone and the line of fire crosses through an occupied square? (Thinking out loud, and also realizing I wouldn't have the foggiest clue how to implement that...)
FG doesn't automate anything based off what is occurring on the map. It's up to the GM and players to recognise conditions and situations and apply the relevant modifiers/effects.

damned
October 4th, 2016, 02:36
As a new GM Id stick to using the Modifier until you have other things under your belt!
Too much to learn already without getting into Effects!

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/fgcon9-sig5.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)
FG Con 9 – Fantasy Grounds Online RPG Convention - October 14-16 2016
Register at www.fg-con.com (https://www.fg-con.com/) for all the latest info.

Trenloe
October 4th, 2016, 02:57
Oh, and forgot the 4th way - GM notices the player didn't apply a modifier/effect before rolling and checks the NPC AC to see if they still hit with cover or superior cover. You don't need to automate *everything*!

kalmarjan
October 4th, 2016, 05:38
I see what you are saying. Is there maybe a way to give like a warning? Like a color change in the square to indicate something like that?

Zacchaeus
October 4th, 2016, 09:06
No, as Trenloe says above FG doesn't know what is happening on the map. All that is up to the DM and players. All of these things will become second nature to you soon. Just initially it's a bit overwhelming.

GunnarGreybeard
October 4th, 2016, 09:49
I always try to have the players announce their intentions before they do it. Like "I'm moving up and attacking Goblin 5". That's one of the reasons, I keep the tokens locked, it gives me time to review their plan, let them know if there are any modifiers for the attack/action and then approve the move. If the are adjacent or shooting missiles without a move it harder to keep up but I try to train them as we play on what I expect of them like that to help me run the game. After a while it becomes second nature and they ask me if there are modifiers, etc., before they swing/shoot.

It may take a while but you'll eventually get a system down that works for you while keeping the game rolling.

kp9911
October 4th, 2016, 11:11
I keep the tokens locked.

This is one of the best things to do, since your PC's can announce their intentions and map their path on the map and targets in the Combat tracker, once you are fine and have discussed rules of cover and reactions maybe you can slowly follow the flow of combat down the tracker over time you'll get used to it.

Even after playing a couple of games I still get stumped and have to keep checking to see if effects work or not. (PRO TIP : Check this out a day previous on dummy characters in simulated combat, saves you a lot of time later.)

My biggest noob moment so far has been me manually editing a PC's armor rating to accommodate the shield spell while simultaneously asking the player to click on the effect via the actions tab. He had +4 to AC instead of +2 :p

Tuendal
October 4th, 2016, 20:01
Thanks for all the info, it is a bit overwhelming. I have been playing with the encounters using some dummy characters to try and understand the flow. thanks for that tip as well, that is helping me figure out how things should more or less flow. Luckily, i have a pretty forgiving set of friends i'm playing with who know this will be my first rodeo as DM.

Moon Wizard
October 4th, 2016, 20:05
The main thing is to have fun. Don't worry about trying to automate everything on your first go. Just apply the modifiers in your head on the fly if you need to, just like around a physical table. As you get more comfortable with the virtual tabletop, you can add in more automation.

Cheers,
JPG