PDA

View Full Version : 5e Apply effect on start

st4lk3r87
October 3rd, 2016, 16:52
v3.3.2 fix here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34316-5e-Apply-effect-on-start&p=355790&viewfull=1#post355790

This is my first extensions. Basically I want to solve this issue: I forget to apply passive effect everytime a character is added to the combat tracker. ( Like "Fighter Style: Dueling - +2 to dmg" or "Heavy Armor Master: resist to dmg" )
If someone else already solved this issue let me know.

The extensions is very simple to use but I don't know if at the moment collides with other extensions:
STEP 1) Create a new power in your actions list
STEP 2) Name the power group of the new power "Start Effect" ( without commas )
STEP 3) Add a new ( or more ) action of type EFFECT to the power
STEP 4) For each effect, you must set the Targeting to SELF
STEP 5) Try to add your PG to the combat tracker

ISSUES: If you try to add several times the same PG to the combat tracker the effect will be applied to only one of them.

I apologize for the bad english :D

A little example:

Zacchaeus
October 3rd, 2016, 18:08
Well done.

damned
October 4th, 2016, 02:53
Well done st4lk3r87!

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/fgcon9-sig8.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)
FG Con 9 – Fantasy Grounds Online RPG Convention - October 14-16 2016
Register at www.fg-con.com (https://www.fg-con.com/) for all the latest info.

Gwydion
October 8th, 2016, 16:13
Excellent!

rob2e
October 8th, 2016, 18:52
Great Work!

st4lk3r87
October 11th, 2016, 18:19
Thank you all, if you have problems just let me know :) I could work on it a bit more but right now it works just fine on my campaign.

Drakkon
October 29th, 2016, 04:41
Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong? I am attempting to use this extension, but I am not able to change the name of the power group. I can create a new power and it shows up as "Power", but I do not get the magnifying glass there to change its name. I can add the powers to the effects to that group, but I assume that since I can not change the name of the group, it will not auto start.

Zacchaeus
October 29th, 2016, 10:48
Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong? I am attempting to use this extension, but I am not able to change the name of the power group. I can create a new power and it shows up as "Power", but I do not get the magnifying glass there to change its name. I can add the powers to the effects to that group, but I assume that since I can not change the name of the group, it will not auto start.

Hi, Drakkon welcome to FG and to the community

See here for details (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Character_Sheet#Powers) of how to set up a Power Group

Zeruel_Kagenie
September 20th, 2017, 23:16
This extension is not working anymore with the update 3.3.2

RocketDad
September 22nd, 2017, 01:09
Got really spoiled by this extension. So I attempted to fix it, works so far in my testing. Let me know how it goes.

WARNING: In testing so far, there seems to be a conflict with another extension. If you are using the Effect Targeting Enhancement extension then this fix will cause errors.

celestian
September 22nd, 2017, 01:27
This is my first extensions. Basically I want to solve this issue: I forget to apply passive effect everytime a character is added to the combat tracker. ( Like "Fighter Style: Dueling - +2 to dmg" or "Heavy Armor Master: resist to dmg" )
If someone else already solved this issue let me know.

I dunno if it helps but I've wrote code in my ruleset (based on the 5e ruleset) that allows effects on items. When the item is equipped the effects are applied to the player, if the item is unequipped, it's removed. If the items are equipped and the user is placed into the CT, they are added. I find these are very helpful for things like you're talking. Such as a paladin holy symbol that automatically adds his "Prot Evil;IFT: ALIGN (evil); AC: 2;".

I've been tempted to make a extension for this but just not got around to it yet. Frankly I think it should be part of 5e ruleset (or maybe even CoreRPG) but that's just me.

rob2e
September 22nd, 2017, 01:33
Got really spoiled by this extension. So I attempted to fix it, works so far in my testing. Let me know how it goes.

WARNING: In testing so far, there seems to be a conflict with another extension. If you are using the Effect Targeting Enhancement extension then this fix will cause errors.

Well done and THANX!!!!!! BIG TIME!! I cannot (CANNOT!!!) do without this extension. lol

rob2e
September 22nd, 2017, 01:35
I dunno if it helps but I've wrote code in my ruleset (based on the 5e ruleset) that allows effects on items. When the item is equipped the effects are applied to the player, if the item is unequipped, it's removed. If the items are equipped and the user is placed into the CT, they are added. I find these are very helpful for things like you're talking. Such as a paladin holy symbol that automatically adds his "Prot Evil;IFT: ALIGN (evil); AC: 2;".

I've been tempted to make a extension for this but just not got around to it yet. Frankly I think it should be part of 5e ruleset (or maybe even CoreRPG) but that's just me.

WHAT? This is ground breaking! Can you tell me exactly how you did this?

celestian
September 22nd, 2017, 01:45
WHAT? This is ground breaking! Can you tell me exactly how you did this?

Added a string to items called "effects" and then in char_invlist.lua (when equipped/removed/deleted) and manager_combat2.lua (custom function addPC()) I run a simple function that applies that string to the effects list if it's missing or needs to be removed.

Actually glancing over it again, it might not be to difficult. Work has be buried right now and I've only been able to update things to deal with 3.3.2 with my ruleset but when I get done I'll try and make a pass at turning this into a extension as proof of concept.

rob2e
September 22nd, 2017, 02:07
Added a string to items called "effects" and then in char_invlist.lua (when equipped/removed/deleted) and manager_combat2.lua (custom function addPC()) I run a simple function that applies that string to the effects list if it's missing or needs to be removed.

Actually glancing over it again, it might not be to difficult. Work has be buried right now and I've only been able to update things to deal with 3.3.2 with my ruleset but when I get done I'll try and make a pass at turning this into a extension as proof of concept.

Oh, so "programming then" dammit

LordEntrails
September 22nd, 2017, 02:28
Oh, so "programming then" dammit
This made me laugh and smile, thanks!

st4lk3r87
September 22nd, 2017, 17:58
Oh, thank you guys! I'm not having enough time to work on the fix by myself.

RocketDad
September 22nd, 2017, 18:06
Oh, thank you guys! I'm not having enough time to work on the fix by myself.

No problem man! Thank you for coming up with this in the first place!!! Happy to help.

mordkhaan
September 23rd, 2017, 20:57
Not seeing anything attached? Just the attached files image?
Am logged on ok and can get the jpg attached in the post above ok

Mayco Gaspar
September 23rd, 2017, 21:05
Hello,

Im receiving a script error when i drag and drop the player in the CT.

RocketDad
September 23rd, 2017, 21:38
Hello,

Im receiving a script error when i drag and drop the player in the CT.

Make sure you are using the updated one that I fixed. It is found down from the original post. I will link it again for you:

Mayco Gaspar
September 23rd, 2017, 22:03
Make sure you are using the updated one that I fixed. It is found down from the original post. I will link it again for you:

Amazing,

Thank you very much sir

rob2e
September 24th, 2017, 01:40
^^^ what he said.

Bidmaron
September 24th, 2017, 15:45
Mayco welcome to FG and the community!

Mayco Gaspar
September 24th, 2017, 20:37
Mayco welcome to FG and the community!

arcanjl
September 27th, 2017, 19:35
I want to use this extension, but can't figure out why... how are you guys using it? Do you have any examples? Right now, I have one group of players that are always in the CT, and if an effect is needed I just put it on. So is this extension really not for me? Maybe for a DM that groups a lot of different people?

thanks!

RocketDad
September 27th, 2017, 20:49
Here is an example of how it works. One of my players is playing a dragonborn character. His draconic ancestry gives him resistance to fire at all times. Think of it like a passive racial ability. So he would want the effect "RESIST: fire" to always to applied to him. With this extension you can make a spell "Dragonborn Resistance"(can name it whatever) and give it the effect "RESIST: fire". Then place that spell in the spell group "Start Effect". Now when you place that character into the combat tracker, it will automatically apply that effect to him. Very useful for things like that, which are often easily forgotten/overlooked.

arcanjl
September 27th, 2017, 21:35
that is awesome! Like my dwarven resist of poison, or my mage with his mage armor! Thanks!

st4lk3r87
September 27th, 2017, 22:36
I didn't expect this extension to be so useful to other players. I must say thanks again for the new release fix.

LordEntrails
September 28th, 2017, 15:23
If you are not adding and removing players from the CT, then you may not need this extension. For instance, if in your campaign you have one set of PC's, then you add them to the CT once, add racial effects and never need to deal with it again. But, if you run an open table campaign or another style where PCs are coming and going from the CT, then this is a great help.

Nalfien
November 16th, 2017, 01:27
Thank you. This is one of my most beloved extensions.

xxXEliteXxx
February 11th, 2018, 22:07
It appears to be broken as of v3.3.4.
Edit: Nevermind

Doomskull
February 14th, 2018, 17:31
Is this updated for v3.3.4? I can't seem to get it to work...

Nebs
July 31st, 2018, 16:36
I need to keep this ext in my life. Has anyone upgraded to 3.3.6 and seen if this is still working?

celestian
July 31st, 2018, 17:12
I need to keep this ext in my life. Has anyone upgraded to 3.3.6 and seen if this is still working?

Advanced Effects (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40833-5E-Advanced-Effects-(items-npcs-characters)) does similar (pre-set effects on character applied when dropped in CT) that this does if not. Also does the same for items and npcs.

Kordor92
November 1st, 2020, 08:28
Hi!

I can't get this extension working on Unity and I can't figure it why.

Here is how I tried.

Any suggestion?

vaughnlannister
November 1st, 2020, 12:41
Still works for me in FGU. Remember that you need remove and add them to CT for it to apply the effects.

Kordor92
November 1st, 2020, 15:45
Hi!

Thank you for your reply, sadly I tried it, and it didn't solve the problem. :( Don't know, how i should try, i think i will code it as an Item with Advanced Effects.

Stv
September 16th, 2023, 14:07
This extension hasn't worked for us for a little while now.
I've tweaked the code so it now works (seems to at least) as my group has found this a very useful extension.

I've attached the new version to this post, incase anyone else needs it.

Cheers, Steve.