PDA

View Full Version : LFP For Campaigns & One Shots

Aeolus
October 2nd, 2016, 11:22
Met the requirements for the group.

JohnD
October 2nd, 2016, 13:29
You do realize what website you're posting on, right?

Paladin2a
October 2nd, 2016, 22:35
This is a great site to post Roll20 groups since it's next to impossible to find an FG group :(

damned
October 2nd, 2016, 23:16
This is a great site to post Roll20 groups since it's next to impossible to find an FG group :(

EDIT: This is in no way a dig at you Paladin2a - please do read - its intended as constructive help....

Hi Paladin2a maybe you have been applying to games via PM or other but I can only see one post by you applying for a game. As always GMs are far less common than players and once a group forms they might play together for weeks or months or years. What is your availability? Are you willing to try things other than a specific system and a specific character on a specific night at a specific time? You might find that playing Savage A Team or Pathfinder or DCC or some other system is just as much fun as you were looking for from your original preference and you have made some connections with other players and a GM which can lead to more opportunities. Have you looked at FG Con 9 and the ooodles of available games there? Same applies - try anything that runs at a time that you are available and start building a network. Some of the players in my current group(s) Ive been playing with for 5 years and others 3 months. Across those two groups 4 of them are also GMs and we play Call of Cthulhu, 5e, Castles & Crusades, Dungeon World, Savage Worlds, Star Wars, Shadowrun and Trail of Cthulhu. Way back in the beginning I coudnt find a game but I was sooo keen to play so I flipped and decided to GM. And I sucked. And I still do here and there. But its a lot of fun and as above I have so many reverse opportunities to play even just within these two groups. There are lots of ways to tackle the challenge of finding a game. It can take time, sadly sometimes it takes quite a while. If you are willing to stick it out its worthwhile.

Here is something I have posted a couple of times - hopefully it will help -

If you are a new player looking for games your best bet is always going to be the following:

1. Work out your Timezone and Availability in: UTC, UTC+2, PST/PDT, MST/MDT, CST/CDT, EST/EDT, UTC+9 (Japan), AEST and UTC+12 (NZ). These are the most common timezones that games get advertised in. Work out your availability on each day and how it reads in these timezones.
2. Even if you *really* want to play 5e or any specific ruleset for that matter, accept that you might not find your ideal game in your ideal timeslot, so open your mind to the possibility that some other game system might also be fun AND you will meet other players and other GMs every time you play. Most groups will recruit someone they know (and like!) before they recruit someone they dont know yet.
3. Set your location in your profile, your Timezone in your profile settings, consider adding a signature that tells us something useful about you - favourite genres, favourite systems, availability, favourite quote - whatever...
4. Trawl this forum often. Often is every day.
5. Read every LFP post - read back 2 weeks the first time and from then on you just need to read the new/updated posts. Read every post where a GM is looking for players regardless of the ruleset. One of the games below the GM mentions at least 4 systems/genres. Many GMs/Groups play lots of stuff (my group plays 5e, Castles&Crusades, CallOfCthulhu, TrailOfCthulhu, StarWars, SavageWorlds, Shadowrun, DungeonWorld) so you might start playing something that sort of suits you and find an awesome group who just have a great time playing together. But back on track Read the post and how the GM wants you to apply - some want PMs or Calendar or a Post.
6. Apply! And make sure you respond to questions and invites. And if a game isnt working for you - have a chat with the GM and excuse yourself. Dont disappear without an explanation - remember that bit about people playing with people they know - and like - dont burn your bridges.

And seriously do have a look at FG Con. And start with the time you are available - ignore the system/genre. Go out to have a fun RPG session and meet other people.

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/fgcon9-sig8.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)
FG Con 9 – Fantasy Grounds Online RPG Convention - October 14-16 2016
Register at www.fg-con.com (https://www.fg-con.com/) for all the latest info.