PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a map

Myrdin Potter
September 30th, 2016, 23:57
I created my first CC3+ (dungeon Designer) map.

The default "floor" I picked is not the greatest as it contrasts poorly with the other parts of the map and I cannot figure out how to change it to something else once I started it.

I can zoom the map large in CC3+, and there is a lot of gorgeous detail. But when I save to JPG the map is way too small.

Can someone with the program offer me a little help?

Trenloe
October 1st, 2016, 00:15
To change the floor you'll need to select it with one of see the "editing" section of the CC3+ User Manual PDF - starting page 51. You'll find it easier to select the floor if you hide all of the other sheets - see managing sheets on page 61.

For saving the image, see the "Exporting your drawing" section of the CC3+ User Manual - starting page 48. See the maximum image dimensions - if you want 50 pixels per 5' square multiple the map size (in feet) you selected/entered when you created the map by 10 - i.e. feet x 10 = 50 pixels per 5 feet.

Zacchaeus
October 1st, 2016, 00:16
You can change the background by changing the properties. Make sure you have the background sheet selected an the click on the change properties button to bring up a dialog. One of the options should be to change the bitmap used. You can also change it in sheets by selecting the sheet and then click add an effect. One of the options there is to replace the bitmap file with a different one.

assuming you drew the map at 5' per square inch scale then when you export as a JPEG click on the options in the save menu and enter the size you want to export the map. Usually I multiply by 50 or 100 So if your map was 100x100 in CC export it at 500x500 or 1000x1000 You can also change the quality options in the same menu.

Myrdin Potter
October 1st, 2016, 00:22
And how can I find what size I used when I first started? I am not really good at this. :-)

Zacchaeus
October 1st, 2016, 00:25
There are measuring tools in one of the menus. Use distance along I think it is to measure along the top and then down one side. And next time you create a map note down the dimensions you used when you start it :D

Trenloe
October 1st, 2016, 00:45
And how can I find what size I used when I first started?
You can measure using the info menu - see the "Scale" sidebar on page 45 of the user manual.

Myrdin Potter
October 1st, 2016, 00:54
I cannot figure out how to get to the sheet and change the base floor color. I can select the background sheet. But the background color to change to is all solids or blends, not the bitmap. The "floor" is not an entity that can be selected ... There is nothing in the add effect that allows it to be changed ... And the manual doesn't tell you how to select the base floor color ...

Clicking on change properties only allows me to select.

Right clicking does not have an entry that allows me to change the bitmap for the floor ...

Trenloe
October 1st, 2016, 01:16
Clicking on change properties only allows me to select.
Yes, you'll need to select the actual floor entity once you click properties. The floor is a drawn object in it's own right. If you're struggling to find it, follow the guidelines starting on page 51 of the user manual to list all of the entities - work out which one is the floor (it will be in the floor or background layer or sheet) and remember the "tag #" of it and then use the numeric edit functionality (bottom of page 52 of the manual).

Which drawing template did you use when you created the drawing? Can you remember? ;)

damned
October 1st, 2016, 01:34
Just start again :)
These things are usually better the second time you do them!

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/fgcon9-sig9.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)
FG Con 9 – Fantasy Grounds Online RPG Convention - October 14-16 2016
Register at www.fg-con.com (https://www.fg-con.com/) for all the latest info.

Myrdin Potter
October 1st, 2016, 01:37
I was hoping that I would not have to completely redo the map. I already spent 4 hours watching youtube videos and went through the basic tutorial in the user manual.

Unfortunately, nothing suggested so far results in me being able to change the background floor. Can't find it when I select a sheet. Cannot find it when I select floors in layers (but I did turn the floors I liked completely white which was exciting until I hit undo).

Trenloe
October 1st, 2016, 01:38
I was hoping that I would not have to completely redo the map. I already spent 4 hours watching youtube videos and went through the basic tutorial in the user manual.

Unfortunately, nothing suggested so far results in me being able to change the background floor. Can't find it when I select a sheet. Cannot find it when I select floors in layers (but I did turn the floors I liked completely white which was exciting until I hit undo).
Send me your CC3 file.

Myrdin Potter
October 1st, 2016, 01:42
I hid the background layer and it ended up looking like this ...

Trenloe
October 1st, 2016, 01:44
Send me your .FCW file and let me know which graphic(s) you're trying to change. At present I'm unclear if you're changing floors, backgrounds, or whatever.

Trenloe
October 1st, 2016, 02:33
A quick video to shows those you might be interested on how to quickly identify, select and change a bitmap in CC3+:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6oOdW6SsMwsdkhNTExfWjc4LU0

If the playback resolution through your browser isn't great then download the video file and play it locally.

Myrdin Potter
October 1st, 2016, 02:43
Makes it look so easy ....

And now I know. Thanks.

Myrdin Potter
October 1st, 2016, 05:51
OK, my next issue is probably pretty minor. Because I make room after room and do lots of tracing to close them, I end up putting walls over walls. That makes dropping doors problematic as they often get hidden behind a wall. Not 100% sure how I can make the doors end up drawn on top.

Trenloe
October 1st, 2016, 06:00
OK, my next issue is probably pretty minor. Because I make room after room and do lots of tracing to close them, I end up putting walls over walls. That makes dropping doors problematic as they often get hidden behind a wall. Not 100% sure how I can make the doors end up drawn on top.
If you're using smart symbols then doors should align to walls and cut them to place the doors.

Assuming you have DD3+ (you mention dungeon designer in the first post) look at page 10 of "DD3 Essentials.pdf" found in the "documentation" directory of CC3Plus.

EDIT: If you're still having issues you can either tidy up the walls, or add a new sheet (maybe call it "My doors" and put it lower down the list (draws on top) than WALLS and WALLS MASK) - currently (assuming you're still in the Mike Schley style) doors will be put in the "SYMBOLS WALL" sheet which is drawn before the "WALLS" sheet. You'll need to manually move the doors that are being overwritten to the new sheet. It's a quick-and-dirty fix as you'll still get the effects (shadows etc.) of the underlying walls.

Myrdin Potter
October 1st, 2016, 06:14
I need to tidy it up, the autocut does not work when well when you trace walls on top of walls.

Zacchaeus
October 1st, 2016, 08:13
I need to tidy it up, the autocut does not work when well when you trace walls on top of walls.
No it doesn't because when you place the object it cuts the first wall it finds and stops. So it won't cut through a number of walls that share the same space. But follow Treloe's advice and put all the doors in a sheet below the walls so that it is drawn after them.

Myrdin Potter
October 1st, 2016, 21:06
How do you draw curved corridors? On of the maps is a central tower with a circle of towers all around it and the outer towers are all connected together in a circle broken up by different towers.

Finally what are the "standard" effects that you tend to use on maps?