PDA

View Full Version : Characters Multiple Installations of FG

Trancekat
September 28th, 2016, 16:33
Hello All,
I have been using FG for managing my characters and playing both online and in person. Like many of you, I have more than 1 device that runs FG; when I travel, I use my 11" Windows tablet, when I'm at home in my office, I use my desktop, when ill and in bed, I use my laptop, etc.

This has given rise to an issue with multiple versions of the same character across multiple machines. Resolving the conflicts between characters is a PITA. Have you come across or use any solution to have one copy of your 5E.xml across multiple copies of FG please? I know that the FG team has said not to use an online drive for storing that info - any assistance is appreciated greatly!

Thank you.

LordEntrails
September 28th, 2016, 16:44
You can just copy back and forth the modified campaign data, but if you're having problems keeping it straight then you will probably want to copy all of your FG Data folder. What you would want to do is to define one place you consider master, and then every time you exit FG, copy the data to that one master location, and then every time before you start FG, copy it from that location.

You could also consider using a network share location for your FG Data location. But, it should be mapped to the same drive from all installations and if you ever run on two computers at the same time you're pretty sure to end up with corrupted data.

Blahness98
September 28th, 2016, 16:54
Personally, I use Chrome Remote Desktop when I game on my laptop (it's a chromebook) and connect to my main FG machine. Gets a little laggy here and there, but it works well for the most part. If I use the windows tablet, I just dump a copy of my data folder onto Google Drive and copy it over to the tablet. Then after I am done on the tablet, I copy the folder back over to gdrive and then back to the main PC.