PDA

View Full Version : Battlemaster : precision attack

Smoltok
September 27th, 2016, 11:45
Hi all,

Can someone tell me how to make an effect to do the precision attack ?
Or at least how do you do in FG ?

Reminder :

Precision Attack. When you make a weapon attack roll against a creature, you can expend one superiority die to add it to the roll. You can use this maneuver before or after making the attack roll, but before any effects of the attack are applied.

Zacchaeus
September 27th, 2016, 12:17
You may find this a useful resource (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27336-Effects-The-Complete-Fighter-Package) for your fighter.

LordEntrails
September 27th, 2016, 17:00
This has been discussed before, but not sure where that thread is (and I haven't searched for it).

In short, this and bardic inspiration have the same issue. When you do your attack roll, FG immediately tells you if it was a hit or miss. Something you're not supposed to know as a player before you decide if you use your bonus or not.

You can decide to use your bonus die before you roll your attack, all you do is roll your 1d6, drag it to the modifier box, and then roll your attack (or you can do it as an effect that expires after roll). Or, you can wait until you miss, and then if your DM allows it, choose to use your bonus die to see if you hit. (though this makes the bonus more effective than RAW). Or,you can make a house rule, that you have to announce the conditions etc that you will use your bonus on. For awhile, we had a house rule that if your attack die roll was 12-15 you automatically used your bonus, but otherwise you didn't. We dropped that after awhile though and I just let the players choose to use it after they already know they missed (easier on me to remember, or not).

Zacchaeus
September 27th, 2016, 17:59
In short, this and bardic inspiration have the same issue. When you do your attack roll, FG immediately tells you if it was a hit or miss.

Only if the DM has the option set to show results to clients; otherwise it doesn't tell you whether you have hit or missed.

Myrdin Potter
September 27th, 2016, 20:38
Intuitively, you would know if you "hit". HP have never represented raw damage you were taking (they represent a pool of the physical damage you could take plus your luck, stamina, skill, etc that get worn down by the battle) but a character would know if they hit or not. So I allow the players to see it.

I don't think it changes much to allow them to be added to the die roll after they know they missed. The issue is that you as the DM then need to look it up and manually adjust to the die roll.

damned
September 28th, 2016, 00:04
Intuitively, you would know if you "hit". HP have never represented raw damage you were taking (they represent a pool of the physical damage you could take plus your luck, stamina, skill, etc that get worn down by the battle) but a character would know if they hit or not. So I allow the players to see it.

I don't think it changes much to allow them to be added to the die roll after they know they missed. The issue is that you as the DM then need to look it up and manually adjust to the die roll.

Player rolls attack = miss.
Player rolls additional die, drags the result from chat to modifier box.
Player drags the initial (miss) attack roll from chat to target (in CT or on Map).
It will add the two and recalculate the attack.

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/fgcon9-sig4.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)
FG Con 9 – Fantasy Grounds Online RPG Convention - October 14-16 2016
Register at www.fg-con.com (https://www.fg-con.com/) for all the latest info.

Myrdin Potter
September 28th, 2016, 02:18
Player drags the initial (miss) attack roll from chat to target (in CT or on Map).

I passed that on to the players in my game, but by the time that happened I would have calculated it and told them if they hit or not and if a hit then they would just roll the damage. Good to know that option, though, thanks.

Smoltok
September 28th, 2016, 21:03

I didn't know how to do this !
Thanks a lot for the information !

Now I will be able to allow my player to make his precision attack correctly in FG !

JohnD
September 29th, 2016, 07:24
Nice.

Aldente
September 29th, 2016, 23:53
If you really wanted to stick with the intent of the ability, you could have the battlemaster roll the attack without a target. They would see their roll, but they wouldn't see if they hit. Based on the roll, they could choose to either drag the result directly to the intended target or follow damned's approach to first add their precision attack bonus. I wouldn't go down this path because I don't mind players knowing that they missed before deciding if they want to add their precision attack, but it's possible.

Cheers!

Myrdin Potter
October 1st, 2016, 23:28
BTW - it is a d8 ... at least to start.