PDA

View Full Version : FG Crashed, made a broken DB.xml backup

Jwguy
September 25th, 2016, 08:34
Hey guys, bad news.

We were around 2 1/2 hours into our regular Saturday night session when Fantasy Grounds crashed while trying to access an NPC's statsheet. Upon trying to reload the campaign, I received the following error:

Database Error: A XML parse error occurred processing file db.xml - Error on line 0: Error reading Element value.

Figuring that the DB.xml file simply had been corrupted, I replaced it with the backup, only to find that, in crashing after reloading the DB file and getting the DB error, above, it had replaced my backup file with the corrupted file, as well.

I inspected the .xml file myself, and everything seems to be in order, so I'm not sure what it is bugging out on. I'm hoping you swell folks might be able to help me recover it for next weeks game.

As a suggestion, following this, I think it might be wise to make some sort of check for the backing up of the db.xml file to only do so if the campaign successfully loaded... in this case, since FG only kept the one backup file, we've simply lost 2 and 1/2 hours of game time.

Any ideas?

damned
September 25th, 2016, 15:28
I always make my own backups either before or after every session and prep session. FG doesnt really do any backups for you....
2MB.... you might open it up in a decent xml editor and look for broken/missing tags...