PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting the encounter CR and EXP in FG

Qoff
September 25th, 2016, 06:34
So, there is any way to adjust the encounter CR and EXP in Fantasy Grounds? The software isn't calculating it the way the DMG says, for example:

If you put 5 level 5 monsters in the Encounter option in FG and use the option to calculate the exp and CR Fantasy Grounds will say: CR 13 and XP 9000.

It happens that if you put several monsters the CR and XP will be higher than that, in the same example the correct would be: CR 19 and EXP 22500.

This website does it very well: https://dhmholley.co.uk/encounter-calculator-5th/

You can see this rule in the page 82 of DMG

Zacchaeus
September 25th, 2016, 09:05
FG Doesn't calculate a 'proper' CR becasue it would have to take account of the number of players and their levels. Since that might vary widely all it does is work out the CR based on the number of monsters. There is an extension here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33131-5E-Encounter-Calc) which does though.

Incidentally (and I don't know if you are doing this or not) you don't get 22,500 XP for 5 CR 5 Monsters; you still just get 9000. The 22.500 is just used for calculation purposes.

jshauber
September 25th, 2016, 14:18
I don't bother with CR. Never saw the point of "balancing" things for characters to get it just right...

If they start fighting 4 trolls at 3rd level then let them die and roll up smarter characters. Sometimes, you have to know that you can't handle certain situations and find a way to get around them.

I think all the "balancing" has led the game toward a more hack/slash mentality. Players think that if it is in the way, it has to be killed and since it is there they can handle it.

GunnarGreybeard
September 25th, 2016, 14:23
If they start fighting 4 trolls at 3rd level then let them die and roll up smarter characters. Sometimes, you have to know that you can't handle certain situations and find a way to get around them.

I think all the "balancing" has led the game toward a more hack/slash mentality. Players think that if it is in the way, it has to be killed and since it is there they can handle it.
Yep!

Zacchaeus
September 25th, 2016, 15:40
I don't bother with CR. Never saw the point of "balancing" things for characters to get it just right...

What a b*****d ;)

Qoff
September 25th, 2016, 17:47
FG Doesn't calculate a 'proper' CR becasue it would have to take account of the number of players and their levels. Since that might vary widely all it does is work out the CR based on the number of monsters. There is an extension here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33131-5E-Encounter-Calc) which does though.

Incidentally (and I don't know if you are doing this or not) you don't get 22,500 XP for 5 CR 5 Monsters; you still just get 9000. The 22.500 is just used for calculation purposes.

Yes that's true, but would be nice something to help balancing the encounters.

I don't think like that, specially when you have newbies playing. I usually roll only hard/deadly encounters, but sometimes medium/easy encounters are needed since they can be used to drain the party resources.

Trenloe
September 25th, 2016, 18:06
but would be nice something to help balancing the encounters.
That's what CR is for - Challenge Rating. As the GM you'll know what the current party composition is - number of PCs, levels, etc.. Use the total CR to give you an idea of the challenge rating for the encounter.

Qoff
September 25th, 2016, 18:28
That's what CR is for - Challenge Rating. As the GM you'll know what the current party composition is - number of PCs, levels, etc.. Use the total CR to give you an idea of the challenge rating for the encounter.

Yes I know how to make the calc, and there tools in the internet that help it as well, but I wish FG did it.

Trenloe
September 25th, 2016, 18:36
Have you tried the extension Zacchaeus links to in post #2?

And, why don't you add your request here: https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/

Qoff
September 25th, 2016, 18:40
Have you tried the extension Zacchaeus links to in post #2?

And, why don't you add your request here: https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/

I already downloaded it but one of my players is creating a character, so I can't restart right now, but I'll take a look, and I didn't knew that page.